Wash options....
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Wash options.... within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey so I know what I am about to ask is a sacrilege but I have to ask. I just ...

Wash options....

Hey so I know what I am about to ask is a sacrilege but I have to ask.
    I just bought a '10 WRX and I want to make sure I keep it clean. I would love to hand wash and detail the car however I live in Maine and this morning it was a balmy 25 degrees, so washing outside is not possible.
    How much damage would an automatic car wash cause? I know it will remove salt and road grime, but does it cause too much paint/car damage? If so, whats the best way to protect the car/paint from road junk?

Thanks for any help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i always hand wash mine in the summer but for winter i never really scrub the exterior. ill go to a car wash and use a pressure washer put not pull the handle to engage the power. its a more powerful but stream than my garden hose but not as powerful as the pressure washer fully powered stream. it gets the grime/sand off then i just clean the windows. u can always do that and get a rag that has a handle on it so your hands dont get cold handwashing. which is what i might do this year.

Re: Wash options....

I never use auto car washes due to the fact that they suck lol. For less money you can use the bays and rinse your car with hot soapy water, then rinse with clean water. I NEVER use the brushes however. Think of all the wheels and truck beds they have been used on....I dont want that near my clear coat.

Check out a product call Klasse. Its an acrylic wax and paint sealant. Its plenty involved applying the product and all, but worth every penny to help protect your paint. Lasts up to a year or more depending on the number of coats you apply.

Oh and dont wax in a circular motion. If you end up with abrasive material it will swirl your clear coat. Wax in long lines the way the wind flows on the car. Swirl marks can be seen from any angle. But straight lines can only be seen from certain angles.

Oh and the auto wash its good for getting the undercarriage. Hope that helps

I have used the local Speedy Shine auto carwash a few times when I got free coupons. It seemed to work pretty well in the winter, and did not damage the paint that I could tell. I always remove the antenna before I go thru the wash, and then run it down the highway for a few miles to dry everything off good before I park it.

I used Menzerna power lock paint sealer this past summer. It was very easy to apply/remove, and left the best shine I have ever seen on the Rex. I have a clear bra on the front of the car to minimize rock chip damage.

Thanks for the help! I noticed this morning that it has some serious swirls all over the car, looks like someone used an sos pad to clean it. I may have to find a detailer in the area to fix it as I have never polished a car before. I knew the auto washes generally a scratch makers but the bays will work a lot better.
    Again, thanks for all the help! I'm new to the forum and subie ownership and everyone here has been very nice and helpful.

Who washes their car?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Who washes their car?

Not me.. if I washed it people could see how horrible the paint is.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Not me.. if I washed it people could see how horrible the paint is.
    Yeah all the dings and chips would be easily spotted.

That and I have free gunmetal colored BBSs thank you to brake dust!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Yeah all the dings and chips would be easily spotted.

That and I have free gunmetal colored BBSs thank you to brake dust!
    Truf. All the cool kids know brake dust is the new powder coat!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine: clay lubricant, optimum rinseless wash, no rinse car wash, optimum detailing products

Very good stuff. There are also other rinseless car wash options out there, but this one I believe has been out the longest and the reviews speak for themselves. Use some warm water (NOT HOT!) if you have to wash it outside with a pair of gloves.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.