Cleaning seat tracks and rails

This is a discussion on Cleaning seat tracks and rails within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just removed the seats from my car. I needed to clean the rails on them. Anyone have any idea ...

Cleaning seat tracks and rails

I just removed the seats from my car. I needed to clean the rails on them. Anyone have any idea on what would be the best way? It seems to have a good amount of grease on them so if that was removed it would need to be replaced. I'm thinking a stiff brush and some all-purpose cleaner? I was thinking of removing the tracks from the actual seats, but not sure how to go about doing that.
    To the face!
    04' Stage 2 WRX | Premium Silver. Premium Sex.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Unless you spilled something that really inhibits moving of the seat...why worry about it?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Unless you spilled something that really inhibits moving of the seat...why worry about it?

Because once you look, you can't unknow that it's dirty.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Don't listen to this man. He hasn't washed his car in 2 years.

I would use anything that can remove grease, like Dawn dish detergent.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hmm.. pull them off, spray with Simple Green, wash off with a water hose, repeat?

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post

Not true! I washed it once this summer!!!

I do think the Simple Green idea will probably be a good one. Probably just want to do a simple thin layer of white lithium grease when you regrease them.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Because once you look, you can't unknow that it's dirty.
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Hmm.. pull them off, spray with Simple Green, wash off with a water hose, repeat?
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post

Used some diluted Simple Green and a wet towel. Didn't want to spray it with a hose or anything since they're the heated kind. Didn't get everything but it did the job. I'll probably just get new tracks since they are rusted.
    To the face!
    04' Stage 2 WRX | Premium Silver. Premium Sex.

I really have to wonder why the tracks are rusted. They're greased pretty heavily so why exactly did that happen? Sometimes you get a bit of rust and/or corrosion on the rails where they attach to the floor pan because a spill can sit in the carpet there and do it, but in general corrosion should be minimal to nonexistent.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

If I was going to take the tracks all the way out of the car... I would use WD40 honestly. It's a good grease cutter and cleaner and rust inhibitor as well. While in the car I have used a smaller brush with an APC, but using brush can fling grease and dirt all over the place... not a fun clean up job. If you do it in the car... spray your WD40, APC or whatever you decide to clean with on a MF towel and either tightly put it around your finger or a small dowel rod, toothbrush... whatever you can find that fits the area. You could also keep a shop vac going near it to suck up any dirt that might be present.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I really have to wonder why the tracks are rusted. They're greased pretty heavily so why exactly did that happen? Sometimes you get a bit of rust and/or corrosion on the rails where they attach to the floor pan because a spill can sit in the carpet there and do it, but in general corrosion should be minimal to nonexistent.
    Humid climates will rust anything. So do large bodies of water.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    +drews to you!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post