Cleaning my opti-coat
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Cleaning my opti-coat within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, i've been wanting to do this for a while, but I just got around to it. I plan on ...

Cleaning my opti-coat

Ok, i've been wanting to do this for a while, but I just got around to it. I plan on polishing off the opti-coat from my front bumper, polishing and jeweling the paint and then reapplying it when I have a good 2 days where I don't need to drive anywhere.

Anyway, until that time comes, I opted tonight to do a quick fix on my bumper. With the extremely hard water we have here, water etching is very bad and while dirt doesn't stick to OC much... minerals can and will and water spots are going to happen... obviously more so with harder water.

I used a white pad with some Klasse all in one, here are a few before and after pics. If you have soft water, you won't likely run into this problem by the way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails securedownload.jpg   securedownload2.jpg   securedownload3.jpg   securedownload5.jpg   securedownload6.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Looks a lot cleaner. Bummer that opticoat shows spots so easily, do you have any experience with Menz PowerLock?

Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    Looks a lot cleaner. Bummer that opticoat shows spots so easily, do you have any experience with Menz PowerLock?
    I have a lot of experience with their polishing line... the powerlock I do not. I understand that it is pretty durable as a standard sealant though.

The spotting hasn't been much of an issue much anymore since I added my inline filter set-up. It REALLY helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    The spotting hasn't been much of an issue much anymore since I added my inline filter set-up. It REALLY helped.
    Ha I hope so!

Durability on PowerLock is really unbelievable, highly recommended. That said, I'm giving Opticoat and a few nano coatings a try in the next few months, so we'll have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    Ha I hope so!

Durability on PowerLock is really unbelievable, highly recommended. That said, I'm giving Opticoat and a few nano coatings a try in the next few months, so we'll have to wait and see.
    You know Wolf's chemicals just came out with their version of a coating... "hard body". It looks quite scratch resistant, however, the durability of it claims 12-24 months... there are still guys out there with their OC going strong for over 2 years with weekly washes with Dawn dish soap. Kind of hard to beat that.

I also think I had posted that my friends dobermen had jumped on the side of his car that I had OC'd... all scratches wiped away with a MF towel.

I myself am considering stripping my front bumper of the OC... doing a 2 step polish with the last polish being menzerna's micro polish and then putting the OC on again. I want to see what look the car has with jeweling the paint and then adding OC over it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.