OT: Ferrari FF detail
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on OT: Ferrari FF detail within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I know this is off topic but I'd like to contribute to the detailing forum as much as ...

OT: Ferrari FF detail

Hey guys, I know this is off topic but I'd like to contribute to the detailing forum as much as I can and get this place a bit more active. I thought about starting an "open detail thread" for general detailing posts, but didn't want to start that thread with something off topic.

I've been detailing ever since I learned the wrong way to do things working at BMW Cleveland. I learned a lot of what not to do, and really became addicted to cleaning cars - I don't know what it is, but it's definitely "my zen."

Working on a Ferrari FF in Pozzi Blue. Amazing car, the interior is incredible and the paint is really good looking. It's brand new but is suffering from some serious hard water spotting in the clear bra, particularly the quarters behind the front wheels.

I prepped with a 2 bucket wash and Iron Cut, followed by Mothers yellow clay and an alcohol/water wipedown. I've tried all my usual tactics with clear bra's - 1:1 Water:Iso-Alcohol mix, white vinegar, various pad/polish combinations on a Flex RO - but nothing is clearing it up. Some of the oxidation was removed, but the spots remain... I've ordered some XPEL protective film cleaner in a last ditch effort, but don't know what else to try.

Any suggestions are welcome

After prep, before polish (same on both sides)

Left side is after 2 passes of Megs Medium Cut on an orange polishing pad

Different angle of above
    Last edited by mcdbrendan; 06-11-2012 at 09:07 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

someone here recently used the chemical guys water spot remover which worked quite well for them on glass. Meg's yellow clay from what I recall doesn't pick up as much as clay magic which is softer. These spots are on the clear bra you say? Did the spotting somehow get under it? I don't see how, but you never know. It sounds like going to chemical way may be your best bet since you've tried everything else. I would contact 3m and ask them.

I found this on a search. The quote was from a 3m rep apparently.

Quote:
    The best solution is going to be to use 3M Perfect -It part# 06064 Machine Polish, with the coordinating buffing pad part# 05738. Use an Orbital buffer at the lowest speed and then gradually progress up as needed. This must be done very carefully so that you don't burn through the film. I usually hit the area a few times for about 15-30 seconds each time. If this doesn't work the "stain" might have seeped through the pores under the top coat and could be permanent.

Very jealous, have yet to see a FF out on the road.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    someone here recently used the chemical guys water spot remover which worked quite well for them on glass. Meg's yellow clay from what I recall doesn't pick up as much as clay magic which is softer. These spots are on the clear bra you say? Did the spotting somehow get under it? I don't see how, but you never know. It sounds like going to chemical way may be your best bet since you've tried everything else. I would contact 3m and ask them.
    Spots are definitely on top of the bra, not under - I removed the spots from the leading edge of the driver door with little issue. I forgot to mention I tried a more aggressive clay, didn't think of a softer clay. That said, the Mothers yellow is pretty soft.

May end up giving this a NanoSkin Scrubbing pad try anyway, I've heard nothing but good things.
    http://www.detailersdomain.com/NanoS...nch_p_709.html

Thanks for the 3m link, looking into that now.

Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    Very jealous, have yet to see a FF out on the road.
    Amazing car, the engine sounds so much better than the Ferrari V8's. They are incredible inside too, excited to post the interior pictures (we'll get there...)

I found this on a search. The quote was from a 3m rep apparently.

Quote:
    The best solution is going to be to use 3M Perfect -It part# 06064 Machine Polish, with the coordinating buffing pad part# 05738. Use an Orbital buffer at the lowest speed and then gradually progress up as needed. This must be done very carefully so that you don't burn through the film. I usually hit the area a few times for about 15-30 seconds each time. If this doesn't work the "stain" might have seeped through the pores under the top coat and could be permanent.
    Looks like a pretty fine polish, considering its a finishing/last step polish (from what I've read). If I can find it locally I'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    Looks like a pretty fine polish, considering its a finishing/last step polish (from what I've read). If I can find it locally I'll give it a try.
    Any idea what caused the spotting? Like an irrigation sprinkler? Just local hard water? I don't like the look of the clear bra myself... I know it's thicker and that it will resist chips and such better, but paint like that should be caressed lol

Have you tried any AIO's?

Any idea what caused the spotting? Like an irrigation sprinkler? Just local hard water? I don't like the look of the clear bra myself... I know it's thicker and that it will resist chips and such better, but paint like that should be caressed lol
    Unsure on what caused it, pretty sure it was hit with some sprinklers while at the dealer. The water at the owners house is softened, same with our shop.

Did try an AIO (Zaino) with no effect. The heavier stuff cut some of it (Megs 105 on a cutting pad, basically no pressure though because I've never been that aggressive with a clear bra).

sounds like a nightmare bro lol

Hey man... just seeing if you got those spots out? I also saw someone mention megs Plast-X which might not cut into the clear bra so much?

Haven't been successful on the clear bra sections yet, but the paint has cleaned up really really nicely. Its unbelievably clear that the rear end of this car gets DIRTY - the rear bumper and trunk are definitely in the worst shape. I need to teach Ferrari of Denver how to wash a car...

Before

After Megs 105 on orange cutting pad, then P085 on a green medium polishing pad. Will finish with Menzerna PowerLock

50/50 zoomed out

50/50 zoomed in

A few more

definitely has come out nicely... it's such a shame about the clear bra sections though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast