2012 Golf-R detail and opti-coat
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2012 Golf-R detail and opti-coat within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I had a gentleman from DC who saw one of my detail jobs of an Evo 8 that I had ...

2012 Golf-R detail and opti-coat

I had a gentleman from DC who saw one of my detail jobs of an Evo 8 that I had done for a friend of mine. He was debating between the clear bra and the Opti-coat, but had decided to go with the OC. We discussed what all he wanted and set up a date, which got pushed back a few times, but i'm flexible, so it was no big deal for me. Finally the car arrived early in the day and I went to work on it. The wheels were up first. Unfortunately when my Wife and I moved, we managed to lose our charger for our good camera, so these are all phone pics.

Car before being touched:

Wheels: before and during clean-up: Using Adam's all purpose cleaner

After wheel clean-up:

Last edited by Methodical4u; 06-04-2012 at 01:08 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wow, the wheels are like new again, that's really impressive. I don't plan on ever having my wheels look that dirty, but what else did you use other than the Adams All Purpose Cleaner?
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build
    ...On order since 5/14/2012
    ...Picked up on 6/29/2012

Now it was onto the claying part. How do foreign cars get here? lol yep by boat, so you're likely always going to have at least some clay work to do no matter how new the car is from the salty air and just the elements in general.

For this job dawn dish liquid is mixed, the sponge goes over a panel and it's clayed and then washed again before moving to the next area. Dawn is actually SUPER slick and makes for a great lubricant for clay work. This car didn't happen to be to bad, but the customer pays to have the best work done and to ensure that the paint is free from as much debris as possible, so it was all done anyway.

Obviously the entire car was done, but to save time and space i'll move on.

The car has now been washed, clayed, washed again and dried. Total time: 5 hours.

Imperfections were minimal and so a 1 step correction was all that was really needed, but some areas did require a few passes.
    Before:

The car has truly gorgeous flake!

after:

Fender before:

After:

The whole car had about the same amount of minor marring and a few areas with some deeper scratches, but again to save time and space i'm going to just post random shots of the rest of the job.

Before:

After:

Excellent reflection with this paint

Before:

After:

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Great pics, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    Now it was onto the claying part. How do foreign cars get here? lol yep by boat
    I'm pretty sure most "foreign" cars have final assembly plants in the US lol
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Hood:

I also suggested to the owner that the exhaust tips be OC'd, but first the tips needed to be polished. They had some spots and such that needed to be attended to. Out comes the Mother's polish!

adding the OC to the tips after they had a good IPA wipedown:

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Great pics, but...

That's true... however as with the WRX and the STI, the car is built and comes here by boat from Japan... I don't know that the Golf-R is the same, but it's obviously one of VW's more expensive, high end cars.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Great pics, but...

"Final Assembly" at the port mostly entails adding accessories and tuning the radio dials, not paint or body parts.

Looks great Methodical4u!

As I said... all of these are phone pics, so outside pics didn't come out very well, so I only got this one to show the way the paint came out with some actual daylight on it. The owner is supposed to be sending me some pics he is going to take with his good camera, he seems like a pretty busy guy so i'll just have to post those whenever I get them. Total time 25-28 hours. Thanks for looking!

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    "Final Assembly" at the port mostly entails adding accessories and tuning the radio dials, not paint or body parts.

Looks great Methodical4u!
    Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Very impressive detail work! Secrets to getting the wheels so spotless???
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Very impressive detail work! Secrets to getting the wheels so spotless???
    Really isn't much of a secret ... I just sprayed them down with the cleaner... I let them sit, I used a mircofiber block thing I found at wal-mart a while back and just stuck my hands in there and scrubbed.

If you have really bad brake dust that doesn't want to come off I would high recommend the Sonus wheel cleaner, you spray it on, it changes color from green to a dark purple as it works and many times not much, if any scrubbing is required... just hosing them off will do.

I'll have to look that up.

I have Brembos with not-as-expensive/quality pads and rotors, so they emit a TON of dust.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Me likey Golf R.

But I remember the interior being really cheap from the Auto Show...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I'll have to look that up.

I have Brembos with not-as-expensive/quality pads and rotors, so they emit a TON of dust.
    On this car I did the entire wheel... inside and out so the brake dust will all likely be able to be blaster off with a power washer... but some guys don't want the work involved in which case I would use the Armor all wheel protectant.. just spray in on and let it dry. I haven't used it for a while, but brake dust is at the very least much easier to clean off and not as much of it sticks to the wheel to begin with.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.