The opti-coat thread - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

This is a discussion on The opti-coat thread within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Joe85 Paint Decontamination (Sounds Like Claying the car) Alcohol Wipe Down (no big deal) Paint Finishing Polish ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe85 View Post

Paint Decontamination (Sounds Like Claying the car)
    Alcohol Wipe Down (no big deal)
    Paint Finishing Polish (if you dont have access to a DA polisher then I would get them to do that since the subaru paint is soft and its a new car they shouldnt need to do much paint correction)
    Application of Opti-Coat Pro

Seems expensive, but I'd rather it be done right. Especially since I have no experience with this kind of stuff. What do you all think, worth it?
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Joe85 View Post
    I'm really considering the opti-coat. I have a 2015 dark grey WRX with very light scratches that the dealer installed when they detailed it.

The whole cleaning/application process seems intimidating to me, especially since I don't want to "lock in" the existing defects.

A local dealer has quoted me $650 to do the following:

Paint Decontamination
    Alcohol Wipe Down
    Paint Finishing Polish
    Application of Opti-Coat Pro

Seems expensive, but I'd rather it be done right. Especially since I have no experience with this kind of stuff. What do you all think, worth it?
    That sounds like a good price. I had Opti-coat Pro applied the day after I picked up my '15 CWP. The cost was $700. The detailer spent all day decontaminating and polishing before applying OC. He had to remove some swirl marks from the trunk. After 4,200 miles and about 8 washes looks as good as new. The car is really easy to clean with a very mold cleaner. Bugs come right off! The shine after being washed is awesome! I think it is worth however I'm biased

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerdozer View Post
    That sounds like a good price. I had Opti-coat Pro applied the day after I picked up my '15 CWP. The cost was $700. The detailer spent all day decontaminating and polishing before applying OC. He had to remove some swirl marks from the trunk. After 4,200 miles and about 8 washes looks as good as new. The car is really easy to clean with a very mold cleaner. Bugs come right off! The shine after being washed is awesome! I think it is worth however I'm biased
    I've gotten ALOT higher quote. I'm having the following done. Two places that are partners will work together on this.

1. Place will decontaminate car, do paint correction. That will be single or multi stage. I'm gonna guess it will be multistage for me as my car has almost 7000 miles. Not sure of price but I believe this is $1000
    2. When number 1 is done the other guy comes in to put clear bra on hood, front fenders, front, front part of roof, mirrors, couple other spots. Price for this is $1400 I consider this part a fair price as I compared to other people in area and the place has good reviews.
    3. Once film and all is done then rest of car will be opticoated. You're talking $650 for the opticoat

An option was the wheels. Outside and in. This is like $350.

I'm not sure if I've got everything correct. But it's making me go a bit "man this is alot"
    Last edited by grendels_wrx; 09-06-2014 at 04:19 PM.
    2013 Black STi Limited sedan

Dam dude at that point I'd detail the car myself and if it looks fine then just slap the bra and coats on
    Stinkeye member 520

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    Dam dude at that point I'd detail the car myself and if it looks fine then just slap the bra and coats on
    My prices were off a bit. But still yes it's not cheap.

I don't know enough about detailing, don't know how to put on a clear bra and don't wanna learn how to properly put on opticoat.

This place is a more high end place. My car will take like 3 days to do all this. I can save money on the clear bra by doing less of it. $895 for only 30 inches of hood an fenders. For $695 I could have em do it and it doesn't do a couple misc areas.

Down the line I figure it'll help it's value. I'm not gonna sink thousands into go fast parts. Instead keep it nice looking and clean.

Quote Originally Posted by grendels_wrx View Post
    My prices were off a bit. But still yes it's not cheap.

I don't know enough about detailing, don't know how to put on a clear bra and don't wanna learn how to properly put on opticoat.

This place is a more high end place. My car will take like 3 days to do all this. I can save money on the clear bra by doing less of it. $895 for only 30 inches of hood an fenders. For $695 I could have em do it and it doesn't do a couple misc areas.

Down the line I figure it'll help it's value. I'm not gonna sink thousands into go fast parts. Instead keep it nice looking and clean.
    True, it should help the value since the paint will be preserved and still look fresh years down the road. I'm all for it, you'll get what you pay for. Just su ks it's so expensive up front like that though
    Stinkeye member 520

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    True, it should help the value since the paint will be preserved and still look fresh years down the road. I'm all for it, you'll get what you pay for. Just su ks it's so expensive up front like that though
    Yeah especially as right now I'm having a bit of second thoughts about my car and all. I just got it late June and haven't driven it much at all as I wanted to protect it first. Got mudflaps on it, good floor mats and now this should complete it. But I'm feeling right now I'm paying alot (forget about payment I could pay it off if I wanted but got like .99% rate so almost free loan) for the car. I mean my state has yearly personal property taxes (read this as car taxes), plus insurance ain't cheap on these cars. When I figure it out on a monthly basis I'll be paying like $200 and that's not including the payment! Average out things like this that I'm doing and gets silly unless I'm having tons of fun with the car.

Gotta find some "meets" and go on some drives with some young'ins to enjoy this thing.

Part of me is rethinking my decision for my mid-life car crisis. Maybe shoulda gotten an old Miata in sorta bad condition cosmetically. Cheap to insure, own, etc.
    Last edited by grendels_wrx; 09-08-2014 at 10:23 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.