The opti-coat thread - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

This is a discussion on The opti-coat thread within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Eric05mx Living in MD and being great at detailing I'm sure your car will look good for ...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    Living in MD and being great at detailing I'm sure your car will look good for along time if you treat it right. I remember your 370z but didn't you have an Evo too?
    lol, man if I even START to talk about another car my Wife yells at me... I had an old 93 mustang 5.0 LX, an 06 Evo RS (should have kept that one), an 08 Evo X GSR, a 2010 MS3, the 370z, and now the WRX. I got into detailing a lot more ... well detailed a guess? When I got my 08 GSR. I used A LOT of duragloss 105 on it. I had I know 15 or so coats on that car at any given time... wash the car? Throw a coat on it. Cat sat for a day or so in the garage with no driving? Yeah, throw a coat on it real quick lol. I was and am obsessive. I have to say however that for being the one product I use regularly when it comes to a wax/sealant... it's that one. I had very few scratches, rock chips, etc with that stuff on there, and the candy effect a good sealant (not just duragloss) has after multiple coats is rather beautiful. Wax is a softer look that some people are just diehards about. If I had a car that had a paint job with a thicket amount of paint, I would probably remain a sealant/wax guy, but this paint is just to thin to mess around with. You can't really buff it out the same way you could with a harder and/or thicker paint. I really think that i'm going to try the Wolf's HB on the sides and back of my car when I get a good amount of time the car can sit and can be buffed. The hood and roof have 2 coats of OC on them and the water sheds and beads nicely, I just want to try the other stuff for the hell of it.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Opti-coat 14k mile update

I just wanted to update on my cars current condition. I am at 14k miles now with 300-320 whp. I do not drive the car hard most of the time, the road conditions here are ok, they aren't as bad as some of you guys have talked about overall. However, I do a lot of town driving and so the car sits and then goes and you can just hear the stuff that has stuck to the tires hitting the car... always an irritating sound. It has been driven a few times in the snow, so it's fair amount of salt as well as a dirt road that's about a mile or 2 long that my Wife and I have to go down in order to get to a customer of her's house, that road we have likely gone down 25-50 times since I opticoated the car. The car does go in the garage however, so it doesn't have the consistant attack from the elements.

This is however how it has faired. On the front you will see some dirt, that looks like chips... I have checked it all and there are none. The pic of the rear as you can see is pretty clear and is free of chips as well. The other side is also the same. I would say thus far the OC is doing it's job very well. I am going polish the old OC to rough it up, add 1 layer right away and then a second one 3-5 hours after depending on the temperatures. On an AWD car I would say the results are pretty amazing. If you are wondering about the rest of the car..... it's the same as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontWRX.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	113053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rearwrx.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	113054

Hi guys. Im new to the forum, I live in westchester NY and drive a 2013 wrx 5door Black. I read about the opticoat in this thread, and I have to say is worth it. I saw some videos in youtube on how to apply it, and the best way to apply it to empty the content of the syringe on a small spray bottle and spray one time on the sponge to prime and one spray on each part you desire to seal. is way easier and it causes less friction when you are passing the sponge on the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by juda93 View Post
    Hi guys. Im new to the forum, I live in westchester NY and drive a 2013 wrx 5door Black. I read about the opticoat in this thread, and I have to say is worth it. I saw some videos in youtube on how to apply it, and the best way to apply it to empty the content of the syringe on a small spray bottle and spray one time on the sponge to prime and one spray on each part you desire to seal. is way easier and it causes less friction when you are passing the sponge on the paint.
    I suppose you could apply it that way.. I have seen people using airspray type of guns at applying it. I myself stick to the syringe just because I can use a little or a lot and none of it gets wasted. Just make sure your car is properly prepped before applying it.

I just opti coated my '13 hatch a few weeks ago. Polished out the whole car and did the front half one weekend, then the back half the next (2 coats on the front end and hood). The key is to have a surgically clean surface. Mix up a solution of isopropyl alcohol mixed with water and wipe the paint down multiple times prior to applying.

The water sheeting and beading is incredible with this stuff. You run a hose over the hood and it just repels the water. The best part is that when done correctly, you should have more than 3/4 of the syringe left after even two coats. I could probably get 5-7 more small cars out of what I have left. Great bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlax2485 View Post
    I just opti coated my '13 hatch a few weeks ago. Polished out the whole car and did the front half one weekend, then the back half the next (2 coats on the front end and hood). The key is to have a surgically clean surface. Mix up a solution of isopropyl alcohol mixed with water and wipe the paint down multiple times prior to applying.

The water sheeting and beading is incredible with this stuff. You run a hose over the hood and it just repels the water. The best part is that when done correctly, you should have more than 3/4 of the syringe left after even two coats. I could probably get 5-7 more small cars out of what I have left. Great bang for the buck.
    Yep, all very true.

Finally posting pic of the wrx first detail. Was only my second time to detail a car.

looks like it came out real nice man. Good job on the work.

wanted to put on a second coat of opti-coat on before it finished curing, but wife nix that idea lol. was getting pass 1 am

Quote Originally Posted by PhoCowboy View Post
    wanted to put on a second coat of opti-coat on before it finished curing, but wife nix that idea lol. was getting pass 1 am
    you can put a second coat on supposedly up to 30 days according to optimum. Just make sure the surface is clean of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    you can put a second coat on supposedly up to 30 days according to optimum. Just make sure the surface is clean of course.
    Will try that tomorrow, thanks. Been only a week since i applied the first coat.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoCowboy View Post
    Will try that tomorrow, thanks. Been only a week since i applied the first coat.
    You'll be fine then.

Zombie thread!! I need to ask everybody who has previously posted on here for info now!

So I've had the car what - over two years now, right? How do I know that the Opti-Coat is all gone? How do I prep the car to apply the stuff again?

...My front bumper is also getting replaced as I type this, so I'm going to have to apply it there anyway...

PS: 50k miles now. And still on the stock tires... They'll need to be replaced soon lol
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    Zombie thread!! I need to ask everybody who has previously posted on here for info now!

So I've had the car what - over two years now, right? How do I know that the Opti-Coat is all gone? How do I prep the car to apply the stuff again?

...My front bumper is also getting replaced as I type this, so I'm going to have to apply it there anyway...

PS: 50k miles now. And still on the stock tires... They'll need to be replaced soon lol
    OC is never gone really. I think the longest anyone has on it currently is going on 7-8 years and he does weekly dawn washes. If you want to reapply it, then you would need to polish it off and then reapply. The best thing to do is to clean it with a good APC. OC will get a build-up on in and ideally should be powerwashed, washed with the APC and then powerwashed off again. Meguiars power clean is one that many people seem to like for cleaning opti-coated paint.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456