The opti-coat thread - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on The opti-coat thread within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by etnpnys He already clay barred... what else can he do? Seems like a lot of work for ...

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    He already clay barred... what else can he do? Seems like a lot of work for a new car!
    It goes beyond clay barring. Pics would be helpful, but at 1200 miles a mildy abrasive polish like Menzerna SIP or Prima Swirl should help restore the paint. I'd recommend against a rubbing compound due to its side effects, Methodical may have some advice

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Any of these polished should do the trick. For hand application I tend to prefer Prima Swirl - they are a local company too, so I like supporting them as much as possible. Megs and Adams you may be able to find in a parts/auto store or hardware store without ordering online.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thank you . I will try one of those.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    Whew! I was gonna say you might be screwed. BUT, it doesn't look like that's the case at all

AFAIK, you need to apply the OC to a completely clean surface. No wax, no polish, no fingerprints, no breathing. I don't think the OC will adhere/cure on top of a wax, and I'm not a detail guy so I'm not entirely sure how you should go about getting the ghosting to go away...

Methodical4u?? Thoughts?
    In my few experiences with debadging ... many times the paint is a different color... if only slightly. Sun bleaches paint FAST.. much more than any of us realize. For me, if I had a car that rolled right off the truck into my garage I would still do at the very least a 1 step correction to ensure a smooth surface... especially after debadging and claying ... it can put some marring in the very soft subaru paint. Ultimately, it's up to the owner to base how they think their paint looks before applying, keeping in mind that a much more aggressive polishing will be needed to remove the coating if he/she is not happy with it right after... or months later.

Sounds like Zaino does the same thing.
    And costs less too.

Quote Originally Posted by chipset35 View Post
    Sounds like Zaino does the same thing.
    And costs less too.
    What sounds like Zaino? I really hope you don't mean opti-coat because that would be quite foolish.
    Last edited by Methodical4u; 11-18-2012 at 01:57 AM.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

The opti-coat thread

Hey all. I opti-coated this weekend (Saturday) and realized today a smudge/cloudy spot up by the antenna. I must have missed it as I was leveling everything out. Honestly, I barely notice it and it won't bother me long term so I can live with it, but wanted to see if anyone knows whether it could cause longer term damage. Will it wear differently over time, etc?

If you think it could be a problem, any tips on how to polish it out? Would I need to reapply OC after polishing out?

That aside, the process was pretty easy. Other than a little learning curve with getting the right amount on each panel, it was fairly painless and looks great. I'm hoping this holds up as long as Optimum claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Crochese View Post
    Hey all. I opti-coated this weekend (Saturday) and realized today a smudge/cloudy spot up by the antenna. I must have missed it as I was leveling everything out. Honestly, I barely notice it and it won't bother me long term so I can live with it, but wanted to see if anyone knows whether it could cause longer term damage. Will it wear differently over time, etc?

If you think it could be a problem, any tips on how to polish it out? Would I need to reapply OC after polishing out?

That aside, the process was pretty easy. Other than a little learning curve with getting the right amount on each panel, it was fairly painless and looks great. I'm hoping this holds up as long as Optimum claims.
    I think it might be too late already to wipe it out so you just live with it dude. I have a tiny spot on my left quarter-panel that looks a lil like Gorbachev's head...
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

Really the whole panel should be buffed and then reapplied. The guys at optimum don't really encourage spot fixing much.

The opti-coat thread

I'll probably just leave it then. Maybe if I can figure out what it looks like, I'll feel better about it.

On a different note, I did the wheels as well and am amazed at how good they look. Before the OC, brake dust would gather on them almost immediately and I'm now about a week in with OC and they still look spotless.

I'll probably just leave it then. Maybe if I can figure out what it looks like, I'll feel better about it.

On a different note, I did the wheels as well and am amazed at how good they look. Before the OC, brake dust would gather on them almost immediately and I'm now about a week in with OC and they still look spotless.
    That's good... it means you applied it correctly. If you do, hardly anything will stick to it. Including waxes or sealants :-( Sometimes I do miss giving the car a good waxing, but I also have not a chip or scratch aroun any of my tires where without it the paint could possibly be shredded with the now 11k miles on the car. Remember, it hardens all the way up to 30 days.

We'll see how well this Opti-Coat holds up with winter here now. I live right in the snow belt of western PA so this should be a good test for it. My car, wheels, calipers, and exhaust is all done with Opti-Coat.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    We'll see how well this Opti-Coat holds up with winter here now. I live right in the snow belt of western PA so this should be a good test for it. My car, wheels, calipers, and exhaust is all done with Opti-Coat.
    I really don't think you'll see any issues with that. If muriatic acid doesn't take it off, salt and snow aren't going to

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    I really don't think you'll see any issues with that. If muriatic acid doesn't take it off, salt and snow aren't going to
    Stone chips are going to be the worst part

I do my best to stay away from trucks and following too close to other vehicles but it happens.

It's worked great on my exhaust so far. This was just after a basic wash, nothing else...

Figured I would make an update on how well this stuff is working since I applied it to my wheels, calipers, exhaust, etc...

After giving the car a good pressure washing and hand wash I spray the car down with Adam's detail spray before drying it with an Adam's drying towel. I still haven't noticed any marring, swirls, scratches, etc.. that these car get very easily so the Opti-Coat is doing well in that area. On the other hand I'm still getting paint chips like crazy so I really should have look into a clear bra along with the Opti-Coat or bought a beater car for winter.

The exhaust cleaned up decent after washing but I still need something to polish it up. And I've noticed these little rust looking pits all over my car that will come off if you use your finger nail. Any suggestions on what products to use?

Here are some pics..

After cleaning the exhaust..

Chips..

What the rust pits look like..

All cleaned up..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.