The opti-coat thread - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on The opti-coat thread within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Much appreciated! (As always!)...

Much appreciated! (As always!)
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quick question.

I plan on applying the opticoat next week. My understanding is 1 tube is sufficiect for more than one car. Once opened can I store it for later use, & under what conditions) & for how long?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Quick question.

I plan on applying the opticoat next week. My understanding is 1 tube is sufficiect for more than one car. Once opened can I store it for later use, & under what conditions) & for how long?
    I don't think it actually has a finite shelf life as long as you close it back up with the cap that it comes with. And yes, I've done my WRX hatch and my wife's Lexus RX330 and I've only used 1/4 of the stuff in the tube.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Quick question.

10-15 cc's is usually plenty and you can store it for a long time as long as sealed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    10-15 cc's is usually plenty and you can store it for a long time as long as sealed up.
    Whoa - plenty for one car you mean? I have done 2 cars already and I've used only a little more than 5!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Ordered.

Best price was on Detailers Domain with coupon "newbie" http://www.detailersdomain.com/Optim...t-2_p_326.html
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Ordered.

Best price was on Detailers Domain with coupon "newbie" http://www.detailersdomain.com/Optim...t-2_p_326.html
    You can also use the coupon code EvoM ... 10% off... it's from when I had my Evo obviously... but still works

I Support ClubWRX
    So I am almost done with the opti coat. I have a small issue.

I debadged the car & there is some ghosting. I fixed this by applying wax & buffing. Now my issue is, will opti coat adhere to this waxed surface.

Or if I wash the wax off & apply opti coat will the ghosting go away that way?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

How long has the OptiCoat cured? And what do you mean by "ghosting"? Under where the badges were?

I Support ClubWRX
    No,I didnt apply opticoat yet. Washed with Dawn twice,clay bared,washed again. Also debadged & after drying the car I noticed ghosting(the letters showing under the badge). I was going to apply opticoat today.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

No,I didnt apply opticoat yet. Washed with Dawn twice,clay bared,washed again. Also debadged & after drying the car I noticed ghosting(the letters showing under the badge). I was going to apply opticoat today.
    Whew! I was gonna say you might be screwed. BUT, it doesn't look like that's the case at all

AFAIK, you need to apply the OC to a completely clean surface. No wax, no polish, no fingerprints, no breathing. I don't think the OC will adhere/cure on top of a wax, and I'm not a detail guy so I'm not entirely sure how you should go about getting the ghosting to go away...

Methodical4u?? Thoughts?

A good detailer should be able to get rid of the "ghosting" - in reality the paint around the badge had faded, leaving fresh, darker paint below the badge. Removing oxidation and polishing the surrounding paint should even it back out.

I Support ClubWRX
    This is all the more confusing to me since the car is brand new. Has 1200 miles on it.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

This is all the more confusing to me since the car is brand new. Has 1200 miles on it.
    Mileage doesn't matter, environment does. If parts of the paint have seen sun, and others haven't, unless the paint has been taken care of extremely well, there will be a color difference. We had cars that hadn't even been purchased yet require paint work due to negligent unloaders - the paint never matched, no matter how new the car.

He already clay barred... what else can he do? Seems like a lot of work for a new car!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast