The opti-coat thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on The opti-coat thread within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Methodical4u Have you tried to layer OC over another layer before? I have and it doesn't seem ...

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    Have you tried to layer OC over another layer before? I have and it doesn't seem to flash away at all. I think it should be noted that supposedly, layering OC really doesn't have much of a benefit... can't prove that, just have seen a few very good detailers say it.
    I'll also add that if you want to layer it, you might be better off to add some permanon platinum to it.. the ease of application is excellent since you seemed to have some difficulty with it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'll also add that if you want to layer it, you might be better off to add some permanon platinum to it.. the ease of application is excellent since you seemed to have some difficulty with it.
    Whoa, what is Permanon? It sounds just like OC...
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    Whoa, what is Permanon? It sounds just like OC...
    It's a nano coating that is sprayed on and then wiped off... it's more expensive and doesn't last as long as OC from what I understand. However, some people I believe have used it over OC since it will supposedly bond to anything and OC is a resin type coating and not a nano.

There are many types of coatings... Aquartz and Cquartz (I believe the same company and product possibly) C4, Permanon, OC of course. Thus far out of everything i've read the OC is overall more preferred as a whole since it lasts longer than any of the above mentioned which is why I went with it.

Note: there is a video on you tube of one detailer who wraps his OC applicator in a blue shop towel.. seems to work pretty well for anyone who's getting to much of a grabbing problem.

Hey,

I just ordered some OC. My 12 WRX is only about 2 weeks old, only 501 on the ODO (It spent about 7 days at the airport)! Anyway, last week I washed, then hit it up with the clay bar. Paint still looks great. I then took it in and had the 3M clear bra put on it. The clear bra looks great, It's hard to see in a lot of the places they install it. Anyway, I hear you can apply wax over the clear bra, but what I am wondering is has anyone applied a product like OC over this? I have to admit, that having had other types of clear bra's on older cars, I really like the way the new 3m bra looks by comparison. They covered, more or less the entire front of the car, the front bumper, headlights, mirrors, about 1/3 of the hood and the scoop. Plus they installed it under the door handles and the rear quarter panels near the wheels. No bubbles or anything and this was at the dealer. The only thing I can see if I look for it is on the hood. None of my friends have even noticed it.

Edit, well I guess I should have looked around before I asked this question.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...clear-bra.html

It appears that you can apply it over the clear bra. I will probably test it out on a section of the car such as the clear bra underneath the door handles. I will let you know what I find out. I plan on using the application method mentioned above, I also found that on YouTube.
    Last edited by Slossy; 05-28-2012 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slossy View Post
    Hey,

I just ordered some OC. My 12 WRX is only about 2 weeks old, only 501 on the ODO (It spent about 7 days at the airport)! Anyway, last week I washed, then hit it up with the clay bar. Paint still looks great. I then took it in and had the 3M clear bra put on it. The clear bra looks great, It's hard to see in a lot of the places they install it. Anyway, I hear you can apply wax over the clear bra, but what I am wondering is has anyone applied a product like OC over this? I have to admit, that having had other types of clear bra's on older cars, I really like the way the new 3m bra looks by comparison. They covered, more or less the entire front of the car, the front bumper, headlights, mirrors, about 1/3 of the hood and the scoop. Plus they installed it under the door handles and the rear quarter panels near the wheels. No bubbles or anything and this was at the dealer. The only thing I can see if I look for it is on the hood. None of my friends have even noticed it.

Edit, well I guess I should have looked around before I asked this question.

Question about Opti-Coat and clear bra - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum

It appears that you can apply it over the clear bra. I will probably test it out on a section of the car such as the clear bra underneath the door handles. I will let you know what I find out. I plan on using the application method mentioned above, I also found that on YouTube.
    I went over the door areas on my car with OC where they had the OE 3m covering on it... didn't seem to be an issue. I would just clean it very well and make sure it's free of all oils or anything else that may prevent it from sticking.

So is OC as resistant to chipping as the 3M clear bra? I imagine not, but if it's at least half as protective as a clear bra ($600 for front bumper, 1/3 hood), then $60 for the OC is a steal.

Is this product useful more as a replacement to waxing/polishing or as a replacement for a clear bra, or both?

If you did apply OC, would you have to do it on the entire car? Would you notice a difference in the finish of an OC'd panel versus one you didn't OC? It's the front bumper, hood, mirrors and front fenders that are most suspectible to chipping.
    Scoob_Noob
    2012 Base WRX 5-door WR Blue Pearl
    Perrin short throw adapter

Quote Originally Posted by Scoob_Noob View Post
    So is OC as resistant to chipping as the 3M clear bra? I imagine not, but if it's at least half as protective as a clear bra ($600 for front bumper, 1/3 hood), then $60 for the OC is a steal.

Is this product useful more as a replacement to waxing/polishing or as a replacement for a clear bra, or both?

If you did apply OC, would you have to do it on the entire car? Would you notice a difference in the finish of an OC'd panel versus one you didn't OC? It's the front bumper, hood, mirrors and front fenders that are most suspectible to chipping.
    I applied it more as a wax replacement/supplement. It's probably a little bit chip resistant, but I can't imagine that it's as effective as a 3M clear bra. I dropped pliers on my bumper just yesterday and it messed it up... I would guess a clear bra would have fared a bit better.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Quote Originally Posted by Scoob_Noob View Post

The clear bra is going to provide more protection hands down. The issues some don't like with it is it's tendency to yellow over time, the expense and that it to some gives off a bit of a hazy type of look... that is more likely on how well the person who applies it does.

Waxing is no longer needed once OC is applied. You can apply it, but it's not going to last very long at all.

Will you notice a difference from one panel to another? Well that's up to debate. My Wife could tell which panel was OC'd when I asked her about our car and if she could tell a difference. It's not going to make a dramatic difference though. The biggest difference will be in how the car is prepped. If you have a top notch paint correction done, the car is going to look better and that's just a fact.

OC is very hard and is scratch and chip resistant, but one small rock that is travelling at 65 mph hitting your paint is very likely going to leave a mark. Thus far with 3200 miles on my car and about 2600 of it with the OC on it I do not have any sandblasting or issues with rock chips, but I do expect some at some point... it just happens.

My car is OC'd and already have few rock chips on the front bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by peekeesh View Post
    My car is OC'd and already have few rock chips on the front bumper.
    A direct hit won't stop a chip... OC helps with wash and dry marring, the sandblasting effect, dogs jumping on the paint, etc.

Ok so I got the wife's Lexus detailed, polished, touched up, color sanded, blahblahblah and then I applied Opti-Coat to it later that night after a full IPA bath.

I'm almost convinced I didn't apply the Opti Coat thick enough on my car now! Her car feels amazing to the touch - I seriously feel like I'm touching a candy coated... well, car I guess. But it's awesome; you can tell when you grab the door handle, run your fingers over the sleek sleek fenders, when you caress it with your tongue... Ok not that last part. I certainly had more issues with it flashing properly, but that part I can learn better.

Is there any way for me to apply more of this stuff to my car without having to polish the existing stuff off?

Some cars paint seems to soak up more of the stuff. That VW I did just seemed like it was a little bit different when it came to application. If you want to apply more, the surface has to be lightly scuffed with a finishing polish or it will have nothing to bond to. Keep in mind that at first that a car always feels slick at first... it takes a while to cure completely in which you will not feel that same slickness. It certainly won't hurt anything to add more since it was your first time doing it, it's always a learning experience.

Ok so I got the wife's Lexus detailed, polished, touched up, color sanded, blahblahblah and then I applied Opti-Coat to it later that night after a full IPA bath.

I'm almost convinced I didn't apply the Opti Coat thick enough on my car now! Her car feels amazing to the touch - I seriously feel like I'm touching a candy coated... well, car I guess. But it's awesome; you can tell when you grab the door handle, run your fingers over the sleek sleek fenders, when you caress it with your tongue... Ok not that last part. I certainly had more issues with it flashing properly, but that part I can learn better.

Is there any way for me to apply more of this stuff to my car without having to polish the existing stuff off?

one other thing... you didn't have your car polished before you applied your OC did you? If not, that will also make a difference in the feel of the car.

one other thing... you didn't have your car polished before you applied your OC did you? If not, that will also make a difference in the feel of the car.
    No, I didn't because it was brand spanking new. Well, realistically it was probably 60-90 days after being painted when it arrived in the US anyway. But it's good to hear some feedback that maybe I'm not out of my mind and I still did it right. Also, I'll let her car cure for a while and see what I think still.

I applied the stuff on Saturday night (finished at midnight) and on Sunday morning I went out to the car and was able to still use a microfiber cloth to even out some areas... That was good news, too!

No, I didn't because it was brand spanking new. Well, realistically it was probably 60-90 days after being painted when it arrived in the US anyway. But it's good to hear some feedback that maybe I'm not out of my mind and I still did it right. Also, I'll let her car cure for a while and see what I think still.

I applied the stuff on Saturday night (finished at midnight) and on Sunday morning I went out to the car and was able to still use a microfiber cloth to even out some areas... That was good news, too!
    Being new doesn't always matter because cars are not always polished the proper way .... even at a factory. There's A LOT of people who bring brand new cars to detailers to get the paint perfect and OC applied. It's just the best way to go about it. I'm not implying that by you not doing that, that you did something wrong, but in this case you may see why you don't feel that even slicker feeling as your Wife's car. However, I have done quite a few cars with it now and they all were initally fairly slick, and as they cure it's going to feel like bare paint because that's essentially what it is OC crosslinks with the paint and does add a harder shell if you will... but it's not there to be slick, nor pretty, that's all in the prep work underneath and the upkeep of your paint.

Remember that even OC can get dirty and have some build up on it over time. I have seen another product optimum makes called poliseal... though I myself have not used it. It has slight abrasives in it and so it will correct some very minor swirls, it will clean and also coat the area at the same time. Basically it's an all in one. I have used Klasse AIO for a while not and I like it a lot. If you go over some areas with it, you may find that it will pick up some grime from your paint.

Other options are to wash with something more harsh such as Meguiars power clean, dawn, Adamn's all purpose cleaner, etc etc. None of them will hurt the OC in the least, but it can get rid of stuff that the more gentle ph neutral car shampoos cannot. Just some ideas.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast