STI Detailing

This is a discussion on STI Detailing within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi I have never done this before, so I wanted to throw out what I think is the right path... ...

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

STI Detailing

Hi
    I have never done this before, so I wanted to throw out what I think is the right path... I have the Plasma Blue '11 STI.

I have a few paint chips that I can see metal in now. Less than 12 spots, and they are all small. I also have swirl marks. I also have door dents. I also have fine scratches that you can't see metal.

My plan:

1.) Buy Subaru touch up paint and apply
    2.) Polish entire car
    3.) Wax entire car
    4.) Get paintless dent repair on the dings that can be fixed that way

Am I going in the right order? Also, I don't know the difference between polish and wax - I am still trying to learn. Are there brands people trust more than others?

Thanks
    Michael
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You should clay bar your car after a good wash. Polishing adds that really shiny gloss to your car and helps with those swirl marks and scratches.

Over the weekend I detailed my car during a good sunny day. I first washed my car with the two bucket system and a mitt. Then, I let the car dry and cleaned up the wheels and the inside of the fenders. Dried again and went over the car with the claybar. After all that, I went over the car with polish/detailer and a clean microfiber cloth. Finally, I chose synthetic wax with a new microfiber cloth to finish up the car. The wax adds a layer of protection to your car and a good shine.

Personally, I'd use the touch up paint on a different day than washing/detailing.
    2011 SWP WRX Hatch

read my sticky

How have you gotten so much damage to the car if it's only a 2011?

What exactly are you going to use the touch up paint for? It sounds like you've never used it before, and expect to use it on the small paint chips? I assume these are rock chips no bigger than a pinhead? If so, I would highly recommend you do not attempt this. I also question whether you're actually seeing metal. Even if you are, that's still the galvanizing you're seeing and not bare metal that's going to rust.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I seem to park next to the most inconsiderate people on the planet.... people who park to close to other cars, get out of their car while carrying 5 bags, all while still talking on the cell phone. I actually saw my last door-ding happen from just that - she used her rear end to knock her door open while yapping on her phone. It opened hard (kind of a big rear end if you catch me) and dented my door. This is 3 of my 4 dents. The other one remains a mystery.

Since the garage I park in for work also serves hotel guests - I am assuming someone dragged luggage around the back of my car and cut the corner too close - and scratched the crap out of the rear quarter panel. It was either that or a shopping cart at a grocery store.

I was rear-ended months after buying the car, but the damage was really small and still barely noticeable.

The chips come from the first hours of owning the car (literally less than 12 hours). I bought it in Westerly, RI in October of 2010. By the time I got to Boston that day (lots of construction), I had 2 good size chips on the top of the hood from construction trucks kicking up rocks. You are right - I don't know if its metal - but it is certainly grey/silver and they are sizes of dull #2 pencil heads. Over time and on Vermont highways, I have chipped somewhat larger specs off the front of the hood just above the Subaru badge.

I will be needing my 3rd chip-repair done on my windshield.

My car is covered in swirl marks from my "complimentary car washes" from the dealer.

I went to a party last winter with a lot of old college friends. They thought it would be funny to write my college nickname on the hood with their fingers since it was covered in sand/salt from the highway drive. I now have that imprinted on the hood and need to polish it out (I hope it comes out).

Life was easier when I drove a car I didn't care about.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    I seem to park next to the most inconsiderate people on the planet.... people who park to close to other cars, get out of their car while carrying 5 bags, all while still talking on the cell phone. I actually saw my last door-ding happen from just that - she used her rear end to knock her door open while yapping on her phone. It opened hard (kind of a big rear end if you catch me) and dented my door. This is 3 of my 4 dents. The other one remains a mystery.

Since the garage I park in for work also serves hotel guests - I am assuming someone dragged luggage around the back of my car and cut the corner too close - and scratched the crap out of the rear quarter panel. It was either that or a shopping cart at a grocery store.

I was rear-ended months after buying the car, but the damage was really small and still barely noticeable.

The chips come from the first hours of owning the car (literally less than 12 hours). I bought it in Westerly, RI in October of 2010. By the time I got to Boston that day (lots of construction), I had 2 good size chips on the top of the hood from construction trucks kicking up rocks. You are right - I don't know if its metal - but it is certainly grey/silver and they are sizes of dull #2 pencil heads. Over time and on Vermont highways, I have chipped somewhat larger specs off the front of the hood just above the Subaru badge.

I will be needing my 3rd chip-repair done on my windshield.

My car is covered in swirl marks from my "complimentary car washes" from the dealer.

I went to a party last winter with a lot of old college friends. They thought it would be funny to write my college nickname on the hood with their fingers since it was covered in sand/salt from the highway drive. I now have that imprinted on the hood and need to polish it out (I hope it comes out).

Life was easier when I drove a car I didn't care about.

I would say to polish it out... or have it done, but sometimes when a car is highly polished, it just exposes the flaws more and irritates you. The small dents may not be much to fix if you have a friend who is willing to do it or maybe a shop will give you a pretty good price. I take pics of people that park next to me. I take them of their license plates ... I have yet to get a ding, but the car is only a month old. Eventually i'll see their car again and i'll cave the whole side of their car in when I do