Water spots
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Water spots within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought my 02 WRX a few months ago and it came with hard water spots all over the windows ...

Water spots

I bought my 02 WRX a few months ago and it came with hard water spots all over the windows and side mirrors. I have tried several methods of removing them with limited success. I have tried a mothers product, the vinegar/water solution and the latest 0000 steel wool with a little vinegar mixed in some soapy water. This last try took the spots off the side view mirrors but not the windows. It looks like absolute crapola and I have to get these spots off. Anybody have any tricks that worked?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Try rubbing alcohol or ammonia. After you wipe the spots down with either one of those, use Invisible Glass or Windex, or whatever you use to clean your windows to finish it up.
    2011 WRX 5-Door WRB
    Cobb AP Stage 1 - SPT Exhaust - Bayson R Lip - 30% Tints

2006 Honda CBR600RR
    Jardine RT-1 Exhaust - Fender Eliminator - Integrated Front & Rear Signals

2001 Audi TT - Sold

I will give that a try but i bet it is not going to work. The spots are "etched" into the glass. I think it is going to need some kind of abraisive or wet sanding to get them off. This is super annoying. They just wont go away, I am going to go over all the windows again with the steel wool after work today. Maybe it just needs a few scrubs.

If its etched in like you said then I'm not too sure if that'll work either. Might be worth a try but I didn't know the extent of the damage. Would tinting make it less apparent? Maybe live with it for a while then save towards getting them replaced...
    2011 WRX 5-Door WRB

2006 Honda CBR600RR

2001 Audi TT - Sold

I already have some real modest tint. Maybe i can try a detain shop to see if there is something they can do.

Maybe a picture of the damage might give us a better idea of what may be done to reduce the spot. I think a detail shop can probably give you the options since they likely have seen similar situations.

Good luck with everything
    2011 WRX 5-Door WRB

2006 Honda CBR600RR

2001 Audi TT - Sold

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I have very hard water here and as I had advised someone else... get 0000# steel wool and use alcohol and a little bit of soap... you will feel the spots as you go over them. I had them seriously etched into our old car's glass. Tint only makes them show more too so that was bad for us.

If they are etched, vinegar will do nothing ... I tried it, I tried wiping it, soaking it. I tried CLR, I tried alcohol, I even used Menzerna SIP polish will little results. Glass is VERY porus which many don't realize and it HAS to be protected. I just coat the hell out of it with Rain-X often now on our new car in hopes that keeps them away.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Nothing wrong with giving this a shot either if you can afford the polisher and such.. at least you will be able to use it in the future.

Update:
    Order some Chemical guys water spot remover. It came in the mail today but unfortunately my car is in the shop AGAIN. The bottle itself looks like something somebody made in their house. A basic clear shampoo bottle with a sticker someone printed off a 1980s printer crudely stuck onto the bottle. I was already not feeling too optimistic about this and then i get this gheto ass bottle and a it cost me 12 dollars for them to ship it to me! As soon as i get my car back i will give it a try and let you guys know the results.

Banned
    Chemical guys makes some good products. I dont think the water spot remover they make is all that great..Vinegar is a good thing to use on water spots. I just used my Duragloss Water spot remover yesterday on the roof of my GF car to remove a bunch from a sprinkler. It did a real good job at removing about 80% of them. I would try vinegar first though.

I have tried everything. Vinegar was like the first thing I tried. Still havnt got to try out the chemical guy stuff yet. My car has been in the shop for weeks with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by deepseastetson View Post
    Update:
    Order some Chemical guys water spot remover. It came in the mail today but unfortunately my car is in the shop AGAIN. The bottle itself looks like something somebody made in their house. A basic clear shampoo bottle with a sticker someone printed off a 1980s printer crudely stuck onto the bottle. I was already not feeling too optimistic about this and then i get this gheto ass bottle and a it cost me 12 dollars for them to ship it to me! As soon as i get my car back i will give it a try and let you guys know the results.
    Don't always go by the bottle bro... there's a lot of stuff out there that doesn't look like much but works very well. If I haven't recommended it already then I will now but Klasse all in one is a GREAT product and has removed a lot of stuff for me over the years. Especially combined with a buffer. However, etching is just that... it's etched and if it's into the clearcoat only 2 things will remove it, the Lord Himself, or a good polishing which the car will look great afterward anyway so you win twice!

Banned
    yea if Vinegar isnt removing anything..you can try claying. If that doesnt work the only thing you can do is polish it out to remove with with abrasives.

Yeah man, if you by chance are gonna be in the Md. area for anything and you get your car out of the shop i'll give you a real good price and get that stuff out of your paint for you, unless you are a DIY'er.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.