Guidance needed for fixing paint damages

This is a discussion on Guidance needed for fixing paint damages within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi folks, A couple of days ago I was washing the car and noticed several spots that are getting pretty ...

Guidance needed for fixing paint damages

Hi folks,
    A couple of days ago I was washing the car and noticed several spots that are getting pretty bad, so I decided to do something to fix it. Being a complete noob in this area (have not dealt with anything related to car paint in the past), I have no idea what I need to get the job done. Here I'm attaching a few pics, and please let me know what you think and what should be done.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3561.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	103722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3562.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	103723Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3563.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	103724

P.S.: I've seen many on this forum saying that subaru paint isn't the best, and I couldn't agree more! I've never done any off-road driving, and still there are so many paint chips...
    2011 Subaru WRX 5-Door
    2008 Mazda RX-8 GT

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

108 views and no response?? I did say _any_ idea is welcome, you know...

Thanks in advance for any tips on fixing those paint chips!
    2011 Subaru WRX 5-Door
    2008 Mazda RX-8 GT

Most of those spots will have to be filled with touch-up paint, sanded and then polished out. You can do it yourself or find a good local detailer.

^Agreed

I would invest in something like Dr. Color Chip or something along those lines to cover up the spots. But beware, you can still see the imperfections with the product if you don't do it correctly (ie. sand, fill, color, polish, etc). The product is only meant to conceal and put a layer of material over the metal to prevent oxidation. It's not a great solution if you anal about paint and imperfections. Best way to "fix" is to bring it to a shop that can properly color match your paint.
    2011 WRX 5-Door WRB
    Cobb AP Stage 1 - SPT Exhaust - Bayson R Lip - 30% Tints

2006 Honda CBR600RR
    Jardine RT-1 Exhaust - Fender Eliminator - Integrated Front & Rear Signals

2001 Audi TT - Sold

Okay, thanks for the inputs! I'm planning to DIY this time and see how it goes.

Right now I'm looking to buy a prep solvent (2oz), 1/2 oz paint pen, and a paint pen high gloss clear coat.

Are these correct? Do I need anything else? (I have sand paper).

Thanks a lot!
    2011 Subaru WRX 5-Door
    2008 Mazda RX-8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by msharp View Post
    Okay, thanks for the inputs! I'm planning to DIY this time and see how it goes.

Right now I'm looking to buy a prep solvent (2oz), 1/2 oz paint pen, and a paint pen high gloss clear coat.

Are these correct? Do I need anything else? (I have sand paper).

Thanks a lot!
    I'm one of those super picky paint guys that go out of the way to fix the smallest imperfections and I've tried several things along the way so here's what I would do:

1. Give the car a good wash; by good wash I mean a good two bucket type wash to get all the gunk off the car, so that you can see exactly what needs to be touched up and etc.

2. Use the prep solvent on areas of the car that will get treatment. I usually use isopropyl rubbing alcohol and water. I usually do 2-3 parts water and 1 part rubbing alcohol. It will take any oil and wax residue off the surface you will work on.

3. Sometimes the area is too deep and need a small filler. If necessary apply filler and wet sand off till even. I like to soak my sanding paper over night before I do something like this. Of course start at a very high grit and work your way down if you have to.

4. If the damage is okay and you dont want to use filler then apply the paint. Make sure you shake it real well since the paint is heavier than the oil so they are usually separated from one another so a good shake should combine them back together.

5. I HATE PAINT PENS! If you chose to use a paint pen, use a lid from a jar or something and get some of the paint out of the pen. Use a toothpick and apply the paint to the smaller area. This will decrease your chances of blobbing. And be aware that the paint will dry quickly so be careful when you apply that you do leave half wet/dry paint strands around.

6. If you use a brush type paint bottle, cut the bristles in half. They will give you a much better control when applying paint. Always apply in small amounts, let dry and repeat if necessary.

7. You might have to repeat the last 2 steps a few time to get it even if you didn't use a filler. If its a small chip/scratch then the touch up paint becomes the filler itself.

8. When you are all done, you can wet sand to blend. Use a high grit paper maybe 3000 or 2000? You shouldn't need to sand that much if you applied the paint well. Its just to even the surface from the blobs.

9. I was told to polish the car after at least an hour of letting it sit. Not sure if its important but I don't see the harm in waiting a little bit. Use a good polish compound and polish the sanding out (if you sanded). If you didn't sand I would still polish regardless to bring it back to a shine and to see if you need to repeat anything.

*** This is very tedious and can go wrong 100 ways if you mess up. I've messed up before and sometimes it looks worse then I started so its a learning process. I like the Dr. Color Chip stuff because they have a solvent that can take their paint off during the repair process. It leaves little room to mess up and blob with their product.

Good luck! Try to do it indoors if you can so that the sunlight isn't hitting the paint when you do this. Also never touch the area with your hand, wear latex gloves. The natural oils in your hands will mess the entire job up.
    Last edited by tommy_c; 04-19-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    2011 WRX 5-Door WRB
    Cobb AP Stage 1 - SPT Exhaust - Bayson R Lip - 30% Tints

2006 Honda CBR600RR
    Jardine RT-1 Exhaust - Fender Eliminator - Integrated Front & Rear Signals

2001 Audi TT - Sold

How did you do those first two? Both chips in the first pic are clearly from brushing up against something. The second pic looks like you hit the bumper cover against something which pushed hard against the front quarterpanel. I think you need to be a little more careful with your car!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading