My new 2012 WRX prep and opti-coat - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on My new 2012 WRX prep and opti-coat within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; id love to try those. unfortunately for me i dont have my own place to wash my car so i ...

id love to try those. unfortunately for me i dont have my own place to wash my car so i just use the self service carwash. do you have any advice when using those self service carwash? i usually just set it to soap then fire away, rinse with water and then dry the car using mf towels..

btw, oc was awesome.water beads like crazy when i wash the car this morning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've had the Opti-Coat on now for like 2 months and I'm pretty impressed with it so far. Next winter will be the ultimate test living in western PA. Especially on the exhaust since I did that too before installing it.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Quote Originally Posted by peekeesh View Post
    id love to try those. unfortunately for me i dont have my own place to wash my car so i just use the self service carwash. do you have any advice when using those self service carwash? i usually just set it to soap then fire away, rinse with water and then dry the car using mf towels..

btw, oc was awesome.water beads like crazy when i wash the car this morning
    Yeah, if you can put it on a soap setting and get it all sprayed down well, I would wait for just a few minutes after it's covered in soap and then rinse it just to help anything that might be stuck on, though I doubt it would be. Drying is fine with the MF towels, though you might want to think about just getting a big drying towel that's made just for drying. It's a little easier IMO. Either would be fine.

subscribed for later use.

ok.... my turn

posted from detailers bliss

I've washed/clayed/waxed many cars all by hand With what I have considered before to be great results. Now I own a brand new 2012 world rally blue WRX. I have almost no scratches (opted for the dealer to not wash my car). I have a tiny tiny scratch on my hood that is unnoticeable unless your nose is to the car. I also have a hologram from the factory. As a guy who doesn't use a machine (although i have a slow speed sears OB i think its a random because it doesn't just spin like a grinder would. [its my fathers. He's used it for years. Did auto body/paint for decades.. Gave it to me so I could practice.]) I want to and have purchased Opti-Coat 2.0.

I've watched hours of videos on waxing/claying/polishing.... (1.) Should I stay to what I am comfortable with or try a hand at my new car with the OB....

Hereis a List of the products and tools I have. They are all meguiars products due to cash and availability.

Tools: Gilmour Foam master 2
    Multiple microfiber towels. Some thicker and of better quality of others
    2 buckets, no grit guard
    cheapo mitts and a dreadlock sponge
    leaf blower
    Old Sears OB no pads but have those clothy things that you put on.
    AR Blue Clean 1500 PSI Electric power washer

Products:
    Meg's Gold class wash and conditioner
    Meg's Quick detailer (use for lubricant for Meg's clay)
    Meg's Clay bars (new bars)
    Meg's Ultimate Compound
    (i dont know if i have the polish....)
    Meg's Ultimate Liquid Wax
    Meg's Quick wax (dont use anymore)
    Meg's NXT Gen 2.0 wax (I like a lot. I had great success with it.)
    Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0

I think that is about it. So besides the obvious steps... (foam, foam, rinse, 2BM, rinse, clay....) (2a.) After the clay should continue with the compound by hand or is that compound too aggressive for the paint? (b.) what about with the buffer? (3.) After that should I wash again or go right to wax?

Quote Originally Posted by 90crxfreak View Post
    ok.... my turn

posted from detailers bliss

I've washed/clayed/waxed many cars all by hand With what I have considered before to be great results. Now I own a brand new 2012 world rally blue WRX. I have almost no scratches (opted for the dealer to not wash my car). I have a tiny tiny scratch on my hood that is unnoticeable unless your nose is to the car. I also have a hologram from the factory. As a guy who doesn't use a machine (although i have a slow speed sears OB i think its a random because it doesn't just spin like a grinder would. [its my fathers. He's used it for years. Did auto body/paint for decades.. Gave it to me so I could practice.]) I want to and have purchased Opti-Coat 2.0.

I've watched hours of videos on waxing/claying/polishing.... (1.) Should I stay to what I am comfortable with or try a hand at my new car with the OB....

Hereis a List of the products and tools I have. They are all meguiars products due to cash and availability.

Tools: Gilmour Foam master 2
    Multiple microfiber towels. Some thicker and of better quality of others
    2 buckets, no grit guard
    cheapo mitts and a dreadlock sponge
    leaf blower
    Old Sears OB no pads but have those clothy things that you put on.
    AR Blue Clean 1500 PSI Electric power washer

Products:
    Meg's Gold class wash and conditioner
    Meg's Quick detailer (use for lubricant for Meg's clay)
    Meg's Clay bars (new bars)
    Meg's Ultimate Compound
    (i dont know if i have the polish....)
    Meg's Ultimate Liquid Wax
    Meg's Quick wax (dont use anymore)
    Meg's NXT Gen 2.0 wax (I like a lot. I had great success with it.)
    Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0

I think that is about it. So besides the obvious steps... (foam, foam, rinse, 2BM, rinse, clay....) (2a.) After the clay should continue with the compound by hand or is that compound too aggressive for the paint? (b.) what about with the buffer? (3.) After that should I wash again or go right to wax?
    If you're going to OC the car then obviously you won't use the waxes. I'm not a big fan of the NXT stuff...it's just a very watered down version of standard wax (like many other waxes are) and seems to break down pretty fast. The car wash is fine, the QD is also fine, though if you are going to OC the car... again I wouldn't use it because it does have some oils and such in it and you want to get the surface as clean as possible. For me, a bucket of water and dawn dish soap works very well as a clay lubricant... it's very slick stuff and will help to break down oils/waxes that may already be on your paint.

Is this a hand held orbital buffer? If so I don't think that's going to do the job correctly, though i'm not positive of that particular model. There are OB's that have a similar motion, and then you have a DA polisher, but it has a lot more power and more OPM thus cutting down any marring much faster. I don't use meg's products much, the ultimate compound i'm not familiar with honestly. If you had the other polisher I could recommend some other polishes that are pretty good and not super expensive though. It's worth it to maybe save a little bit of money up and get a decent DA polisher like from Griot's or even meg's I think is supposed to be pretty good for the money.

so no wax before the OC?

so no wax before the OC?
    NO!!! lol, you need to read more OC prep before you even attempt to use that stuff. Wax also will NEVER be needed over OC. The paint must be polished (if you choose) and an IPA wipedown must be done. Look through my posts on this and it should explain everything.

I see now. I thought you always had to wax after polishing. I guess that would be the case of you weren't putting a sealant on.

I see now. I thought you always had to wax after polishing. I guess that would be the case of you weren't putting a sealant on.
    yes, you would always apply a LSP (last step product) after polishing.. in this case the LSP would be OC instead of a wax or standard sealant.

Well because I had a panel to work with thanks to my license plate relocation kit I applied OC to that small cover leaving the inside part uncoated for later comparison.

What I did.
    small dawn wash/rinse
    then clayed... It was really clean. Didn't pick anything up from it.
    polished with Meg's compound
    another dawn bath/rinse
    IPA wipedown
    and then OC

So far it looks great. And I now understand the too much part of it. Even after it looks even with no rainbow streaks after it dries slightly there can be a small amount of residue you will need to wipe off....

Well because I had a panel to work with thanks to my license plate relocation kit I applied OC to that small cover leaving the inside part uncoated for later comparison.

What I did.
    small dawn wash/rinse
    then clayed... It was really clean. Didn't pick anything up from it.
    polished with Meg's compound
    another dawn bath/rinse
    IPA wipedown
    and then OC

So far it looks great. And I now understand the too much part of it. Even after it looks even with no rainbow streaks after it dries slightly there can be a small amount of residue you will need to wipe off....
    Yeah, it's always a good idea to wipe gently with a MF towel to knock down any high spots as a just in case, remember, on the areas of the car take more abuse such as the front, you can IPA that area again to make sure it's clean and can apply more coats. I have 2 on my bumper. Just make sure you wait a minimum of 3 hours before doing this... you can do it for up to 30 days... after that I don't think it sticks to well.... or maybe not at all.
    Last edited by Methodical4u; 08-11-2012 at 04:33 PM.

ok just to bump this thread.

Opticoat has held up great. The car is so much easier to clean as water still beads till now. pretty impressed on how it performs. By the way, the wrx sits outside everyday in socal.
    Last edited by peekeesh; 10-18-2012 at 03:03 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by peekeesh View Post
    ok just to bump this thread.

Opticoat has held up great. The car is so much easier to clean as water still beads till now. pretty impressed on how it performs.
    +1. Mine beads perfectly too.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.