My new 2012 WRX prep and opti-coat - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on My new 2012 WRX prep and opti-coat within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Methodical4u There really isn't a to thin... if you watched the whole panel get coated and flashed, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    There really isn't a to thin... if you watched the whole panel get coated and flashed, that's enough.

Try not to wash for 7 days ... getting it wet won't matter however. I was just told as a safety thing to wait for 7 days.

Once you feel brave enough, I would go over your mirrors and all the plastic around the windows, the pillars between the windows... everything except the rubber trim.
    That's kinda the thing... It was fairly hot in the garage (80+?) when I applied it, and I followed the directions to a T: apply perpendicularly and then look for high spots. I didn't really "see" most of it being applied unless the light hit it just right... You know? I could, however, tell for the most part by how the sponge felt when applying it. Wet and smooth meant I had already been there before, and kinda coarse/scratchy meant I needed more stuff on the sponge. So I think I did an OK job.

And as far as getting it wet, it turns out it was raining a little bit this morning on my drive in. More like a dew or a misty haze, but the car still got wet a little bit. Enough for me to be impressed with how it was beading on the hood! So I guess I at least did that part right!!

I also made sure to get the plastic and the pillars between the windows already. My wife wears lotion on her hands that always seems to leave fingerprints on those black pillars, even on my last car, so I was sure to coat them as soon as I had the chance.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    That's kinda the thing... It was fairly hot in the garage (80+?) when I applied it, and I followed the directions to a T: apply perpendicularly and then look for high spots. I didn't really "see" most of it being applied unless the light hit it just right... You know? I could, however, tell for the most part by how the sponge felt when applying it. Wet and smooth meant I had already been there before, and kinda coarse/scratchy meant I needed more stuff on the sponge. So I think I did an OK job.

And as far as getting it wet, it turns out it was raining a little bit this morning on my drive in. More like a dew or a misty haze, but the car still got wet a little bit. Enough for me to be impressed with how it was beading on the hood! So I guess I at least did that part right!!

I also made sure to get the plastic and the pillars between the windows already. My wife wears lotion on her hands that always seems to leave fingerprints on those black pillars, even on my last car, so I was sure to coat them as soon as I had the chance.
    It sounds like you'll be fine. If you happen to find a spot that you didn't go over... just IPA it and put some more OC on that area... buy the way, you can do the wheels, wheel wells, and your calipers too.

It sounds like you'll be fine. If you happen to find a spot that you didn't go over... just IPA it and put some more OC on that area... buy the way, you can do the wheels, wheel wells, and your calipers too.
    Yeah, I might do the wheels, but the others can stay. My wheel wells are probably so dirty already that I don't wanna touch them.

My car is filthy already, too, with the misty hazy rain that we just had. I'll be psyched to hose it off and see how it looks in a few days... I'm guessing that will be the ultimate tell-all whether I applied it properly or not. I'm expecting a constant beading/sheeting effect on the whole body, and I'll probably see some weird stripes in that effect if I missed a spot or didn't apply it properly somewhere.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Yeah, I might do the wheels, but the others can stay. My wheel wells are probably so dirty already that I don't wanna touch them.

My car is filthy already, too, with the misty hazy rain that we just had. I'll be psyched to hose it off and see how it looks in a few days... I'm guessing that will be the ultimate tell-all whether I applied it properly or not. I'm expecting a constant beading/sheeting effect on the whole body, and I'll probably see some weird stripes in that effect if I missed a spot or didn't apply it properly somewhere.
    yes, you will definitely notice that the beading is not even... but that's not a big deal IMO. It's an easy fix. If you are unsure about an area, go over it again... you will be able to tell because the OC will not stick to itself... it will basically sit there wet and will not flash at all... or very little at best, so if it doesn't soak right up.. you'll know the area is coated. You did the right thing with it.

You can hose the car off now, you just want to avoid rubbing it and such with a wash mitt until it hardens for a week and that's only for safety reasons. If you want to wait a few more days that's ok though. If you have a power washer, that's basically all you really even need to wash the car... obviously car shampoo is always good to give it that little bit of shine, but tar, bugs, etc etc, won't hold up once the power washer comes out.... it's very interesting stuff indeed... an awesome invention.

yes, you will definitely notice that the beading is not even... but that's not a big deal IMO. It's an easy fix. If you are unsure about an area, go over it again... you will be able to tell because the OC will not stick to itself... it will basically sit there wet and will not flash at all... or very little at best, so if it doesn't soak right up.. you'll know the area is coated. You did the right thing with it.

You can hose the car off now, you just want to avoid rubbing it and such with a wash mitt until it hardens for a week and that's only for safety reasons. If you want to wait a few more days that's ok though. If you have a power washer, that's basically all you really even need to wash the car... obviously car shampoo is always good to give it that little bit of shine, but tar, bugs, etc etc, won't hold up once the power washer comes out.... it's very interesting stuff indeed... an awesome invention.
    I'm psyched to have it done, really. It's a lot of anxiety off now. All I have to do now is ScotchGard the interior, and I'm doing that tonight.

And I've always been kinda hesitant to even hit the paint directly on with a hose, let alone a power washer... Kinda makes me nervous with all that pressure...

I'm psyched to have it done, really. It's a lot of anxiety off now. All I have to do now is ScotchGard the interior, and I'm doing that tonight.

And I've always been kinda hesitant to even hit the paint directly on with a hose, let alone a power washer... Kinda makes me nervous with all that pressure...
    Yeah man, it's a really good feeling to tackle a project like this which takes some balls because while you can't "mess it up" as far as for good... it is possible to mess up and have to do parts over, and when it comes to this stuff that can be quite involved to strip it, clean it reapply it, etc.

It's also good that you are picky about your paint... shows that you will take good care of your car. I assure you though... a pressure washer isn't going to hurt your paint in anyway unless you happen to have paint that is peeling and old already. You have a fresh coat of OC on there and it's about the hardness of pencil lead (from what I have read in interviews with the optimum guys). I wouldn't use a 3000 lb power washer that's meant for other things on there 1 inch away, but if you don't have one... go to Lowes and get the 190.00 one that's 1800 psi and it's electric. Good job on getting it done!

I just finished opti-coating my car. took me 6 hours to wash, polish areas with mar, IPA wipedown, then put opti-coat on everything except the windshield.

@methodical4u, have you used the Optimum Protectant Plus? If so, what can you say about it? optimum gave me one for free.

Optimum Protectant Plus

Hey man... awesome about the OC. I have not tried the protectant plus no. I don't work for optimum or anything. Actually OC is the only product of theirs that I use. I do know a lot of top detailers that do use many of their products and honestly, I doubt they make any "bad" products at all. It's always worth it to give it a try though, it's the best way to find out... it's how i've learned myself. I'll get some advice, do a little research and then get something and try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by peekeesh View Post
    I just finished opti-coating my car. took me 6 hours to wash, polish areas with mar, IPA wipedown, then put opti-coat on everything except the windshield.

@methodical4u, have you used the Optimum Protectant Plus? If so, what can you say about it? optimum gave me one for free.

Optimum Protectant Plus

Interior cleaning and conditioning guide: everything from upholstery seats to vinyl protection. odor remover, vinyl cleaner, vinyl protectant, carpet

here are some good suggestions on interior cleaning as well as some good products... all very good name products. The optimum i'm sure would also be a top notch product that you couldn't go wrong with though.

Optimum Protectant Plus
    Awesome! How did it turn out?

On another note, I just washed my car yesterday so I got to see how well I did. Everything looks really good for sure, but here's a few comments now after-the-fact:
    * The roof seems to have lateral streaks in it, but it's only visible when the paint is really really wet. I guess this could be from my perpendicular application technique (following the instructions), but other than that I have no idea. And it's not a big deal at all because the water still beaded off of it like crazy.
    * Just spraying the car is in no way going to be able to replace any washes for me. The road crud is just too crazy I guess... Now, I was only using my hose nozzle on the hardest straightest setting, but I just don't have any hopes that it will come off entirely without a sponge.
    * When the water was beading/sheeting, I noticed two very very small areas on the fenders that the sheeting stops, almost like the water hit a new level of the paint. I don't visibly see anything though, and the water still beads great so I'm not worried.

And no thanx to the Weather Channel, I washed my car yesterday only to drive through more slight rain and road gunk this morning. Yay.

Awesome! How did it turn out?

On another note, I just washed my car yesterday so I got to see how well I did. Everything looks really good for sure, but here's a few comments now after-the-fact:
    * The roof seems to have lateral streaks in it, but it's only visible when the paint is really really wet. I guess this could be from my perpendicular application technique (following the instructions), but other than that I have no idea. And it's not a big deal at all because the water still beaded off of it like crazy.
    * Just spraying the car is in no way going to be able to replace any washes for me. The road crud is just too crazy I guess... Now, I was only using my hose nozzle on the hardest straightest setting, but I just don't have any hopes that it will come off entirely without a sponge.
    * When the water was beading/sheeting, I noticed two very very small areas on the fenders that the sheeting stops, almost like the water hit a new level of the paint. I don't visibly see anything though, and the water still beads great so I'm not worried.

And no thanx to the Weather Channel, I washed my car yesterday only to drive through more slight rain and road gunk this morning. Yay.
    Your streaks on the roof could be a few things... either high spots (which is most likely the case.. it could have been hotter there and cured faster. I did the back and forth and the cicular motion as you probably saw in the video... everyone likes to do things a little bit different though.

The road stuff may be to bad in your area or just where you drive. I don't drive anywhere that I might get a lot of crap on my car... but i'm so incredibly picky about it as well. I just washed and dried mine the other day (I do use a sponge and the adam's car wash) and it does turn out beautifully... but not quite the same as a multiple layer sealant or waxed car. Either way I still get people breaking their necks to look at the car so it can't be that bad right? lol. I now have 2200 miles on the car and though I wanted to get mudflaps... my wife HATES the look of them, so we agreed that if the paint gets messed up later that I can repaint the car without any complaints. However, at 2200 miles thus far, there is no sign of sandblasted or chipped paint. That doesn't mean it can't happen... it just hasn't yet.

I now have 2200 miles on the car and though I wanted to get mudflaps... my wife HATES the look of them, so we agreed that if the paint gets messed up later that I can repaint the car without any complaints.
    lol

I actually don't like the look of the mudflaps, either. However, I plan to throw some on for the dirt fun I'm planning to have... Then i'll just take them off when I'm done. It's only a few bolts, yeah?

lol

I actually don't like the look of the mudflaps, either. However, I plan to throw some on for the dirt fun I'm planning to have... Then i'll just take them off when I'm done. It's only a few bolts, yeah?
    Never put them on a Subie... on my Evo it wasn't that bad though.

@Methodical4u, thanks for your responses. i'll check them products out

@etnpnys, it turned out great. it rained last night which kinda help rinse out the dust so the car is clean now. When i saw the car this morning, the roof has crazy water beads. easily got rid of the water beads by accelerating and stopping.

@Methodical4u, thanks for your responses. i'll check them products out

@etnpnys, it turned out great. it rained last night which kinda help rinse out the dust so the car is clean now. When i saw the car this morning, the roof has crazy water beads. easily got rid of the water beads by accelerating and stopping.

You're welcome man.

One thing to remember guys is that at first the OC is pretty slick... after it has cured it's not as much, but you will still see beading. I do strongly advise to use a good car shampoo and buy a top quality drying towel... but hey, it does beat the hell out of buying multiple products to have to do a job every few months IMO anyway.

Good shampoo options are Adam's, Griots Garage (which a lot of top detailers I talk to swear by this stuff because of it's slickness), Duragloss has their car wash out and it does say it reduces spotting which I may try since i'm on hard mineral town water. There are others.. but I would buy them buy the gallon... you will be surprised how little soap will go such a long way!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.