2004 Forester detail and Opti-Guard protection - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2004 Forester detail and Opti-Guard protection within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Beautiful work man! Too bad I don't know anyone good like that in South Jersey, lookin to move here? lol...

Beautiful work man! Too bad I don't know anyone good like that in South Jersey, lookin to move here? lol
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    Beautiful work man! Too bad I don't know anyone good like that in South Jersey, lookin to move here? lol
    Contact detailersdomain.com. they are in jersey and do TOP TOP notch work. Probably not cheap but if you use opti-coat it will be protected for a long time.

Looks awesome. If you don't mind, what did you do to get the interior so spotless?
    2011 DGM WRX - Cobb Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Looks awesome. If you don't mind, what did you do to get the interior so spotless?
    This is my general process for most vehicles.

Simple Yet Effective Interior Cleaning – Detailed Image

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    This is my general process for most vehicles.

Simple Yet Effective Interior Cleaning – Detailed Image
    That's a nice write up. Some of those driver side mats just never come out really good for me. I use our spot bot which is basically the same thing.

My wifes ms3 was soooo caked with dog hair I used gorilla tape on pretty much the entire car to get it out of the carpet. I tried everything before that. It did the job though and a pretty good one too. They are all short haired dogs or it would have been much easier!!.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    That's a nice write up. Some of those driver side mats just never come out really good for me. I use our spot bot which is basically the same thing.

My wifes ms3 was soooo caked with dog hair I used gorilla tape on pretty much the entire car to get it out of the carpet. I tried everything before that. It did the job though and a pretty good one too. They are all short haired dogs or it would have been much easier!!.
    Thanks!

Cleaning floor mats is best done with a pressure washer, saves a ton of time too. Then you can follow up with an extractor or wet vac and hang them to dry.

The carpet in the MS3 (and Subies) sucks! I hate removing dog hair as is, but especially in cars with that cheap carpet. Weather Tech mats are a must in those cars. There are varius tools for removing pet hair, but IME, sometime they work and sometimes they don't. It really seems to depend on the hair itself and the material they're embedded into.

Thanks!

Cleaning floor mats is best done with a pressure washer, saves a ton of time too. Then you can follow up with an extractor or wet vac and hang them to dry.

The carpet in the MS3 (and Subies) sucks! I hate removing dog hair as is, but especially in cars with that cheap carpet. Weather Tech mats are a must in those cars. There are varius tools for removing pet hair, but IME, sometime they work and sometimes they don't. It really seems to depend on the hair itself and the material they're embedded into.
    It's all damn pit bull hair... short little hair that never wants to come out. I never used the pressure washer on mats. I did use a standard hose just hanging the mat up and hosing it down a few times.

Yes all weather mats are a must indeed. That's why that was the only option seized from a spoiler I got on my 201208 that i'm picking up next week. Im getting the sedan by the way... you asked me on you tube if I was getting the sedan or hatch. Im kkcockatoos lol. Small world huh?

It's all damn pit bull hair... short little hair that never wants to come out. I never used the pressure washer on mats. I did use a standard hose just hanging the mat up and hosing it down a few times.

Yes all weather mats are a must indeed. That's why that was the only option seized from a spoiler I got on my 201208 that i'm picking up next week. Im getting the sedan by the way... you asked me on you tube if I was getting the sedan or hatch. Im kkcockatoos lol. Small world huh?
    Haha! Small world indeed! I'm paying some things off and saving up for a down payment right now but plan on ordering one in April/May. Been debating what to get for a while now and I've finally decided on the WRX Sedan Limited in SWP. I really wanted the Golf R but my wife hates the looks of it and it's a bit more than I wanted to spend.

Haha! Small world indeed! I'm paying some things off and saving up for a down payment right now but plan on ordering one in April/May. Been debating what to get for a while now and I've finally decided on the WRX Sedan Limited in SWP. I really wanted the Golf R but my wife hates the looks of it and it's a bit more than I wanted to spend.
    I almost got the GTI myself oddly enough. I just loved the that metallic dark blue they had. I saw one at my local dealer and just really thought it was gorgeous. This car however just takes me back to my 06 Evo RS. It was very basic as far as interior and all that, but it was so much fun to drive for the money. I wish I would have kept it now that they have stopped the Evo here. Either way, everytime I saw that WRX in that blue ... it just was like "yeah, that's the one". I also heard to many ifs on the reliability of the GTI and AWD is always a plus and safer for my wife which is my ultimate goal. That sucker is getting some opti-coat on it I know that lol. Japanese paint is just so easy to chip.

How do you like the opt-guard? Differences from the opti-coat?

I almost got the GTI myself oddly enough. I just loved the that metallic dark blue they had. I saw one at my local dealer and just really thought it was gorgeous. This car however just takes me back to my 06 Evo RS. It was very basic as far as interior and all that, but it was so much fun to drive for the money. I wish I would have kept it now that they have stopped the Evo here. Either way, everytime I saw that WRX in that blue ... it just was like "yeah, that's the one". I also heard to many ifs on the reliability of the GTI and AWD is always a plus and safer for my wife which is my ultimate goal. That sucker is getting some opti-coat on it I know that lol. Japanese paint is just so easy to chip.

How do you like the opt-guard? Differences from the opti-coat?
    Yeah, the reliability of VW concerned me as well...I was actually looking at leasing as I told myself I'd never buy a German made car. BMW = Bring More Wallet!

My TSX that I own now chips like crazy! When I was at SEMA last November Xpel was showing of their latest Paint Protection Film, which is self healing! I literally sat there and watched some guy take a wire brush to the film, scratching the heck out of it. The the Xpel guy poured hot water over it and the scratches were gone!!! This is what I plan to wrap the full hood, fenders, and lower rocker with when I get mine.

Self Healing Paint Protection Film - XPEL ULTIMATE Paint Protection Film

I'm a huge fan of Opti-Guard and Opti-Coat 2.0!

The Opti-Guard is basically just a more concentrated version of Opti-Coat 2.0 (4x more I'm told). The added solvents in the Opti-Coat 2.0 allow the user a lot more time to level it off before it starts to flash. The end user probably won't see a difference in performance, but in theory, the Opti-Guard should leave behind a thicker layer of product, thus withstanding abrasion better over time. The main reason for Opti-Guard though is that it is cured within an hour where the Opti-Coat 2.0 needs about 12 hours. This is a big deal for a lot of shops as clients often need to take delivery right away.

I actually keep both versions on hand. On a hot and humid day Opti-Guard can cure so fast it's almost like it's flashing as you're wiping it on. This can be an issue when doing large panels since once it start to flash it gets tacky and will smear if you touch it. On days like that I will use Opti-Coat 2.0 for sure. The day that I did that grey M3 it was a 100 degrees outside and Opti-Guard would have been a PITA to use.

For application I really like using the CarPro applicators to apply it with, at leats on the body of the car. It goes on a lot more even than with the foam applicator OC comes with and it's better for edging too. However, the foam applicator is good for plastic trim and wheels. The foam block came with the CQuartz kit I bought and the Micro Suede applicators can be bought at AutoGeek in packs of 10

I've also been playing around with using an air brush to apply OC/OG to intricate areas like grills and wheels. I still need to pick up a mini HLVP gun to try and apply it to the whole car with...a few other detailers have already done this with great results.

Before

After....stuff works great on trim!

Applied it to a new set of Vossen wheels for a C6....added just a hint of gloss to the matte black, which the owner really liked.

I honestly don't think I'll ever wax one of my personal cars again with OC around.

Rasky
    Last edited by RaskyR1; 03-08-2012 at 07:07 AM.

You know when I applied the opticoat I never felt a tacky feeling. I applied it... watched it flash and then gave it a few seconds after that and it came right off. It could be because the temperature was lower that day I suppose.

I saw the spray guns they use. I guess I could probably do it... but im just a little leary of it because it seems like it would be so much of a mess.... or a potential one.

Have you attempted to layer it at all? I had read if it is polished with a fine polish more could be applied as it sort of roughs the paint up.
    Last edited by Methodical4u; 03-08-2012 at 10:08 AM.

You know I've only used the OC 2.0 on a few cars...never noticed the tacky feeling OG gets either...maybe the added solvents is enough to keep it from happening???

Have you attempted to layer it at all? I had read it it is polished with a fine polish more could be applied as it sort of roughs the paint up.
    The latest version of OC and OG are actually layerable, but after 3-4 coats it starts to get cloudy. No polishing /scuffing needed. On the older version you would need to polish the surface lightly. If you've purchased the OC in the last few months it should be the latest version.

It wasn't Optimum's intention to make it layerable from what I'm told and it was actually more of a side effect that happened during an update. They still insist that you don't need anything more than one coat.

Where you located? I could probably send you a small sample of OG if you like?

You know I've only used the OC 2.0 on a few cars...never noticed the tacky feeling OG gets either...maybe the added solvents is enough to keep it from happening???

The latest version of OC and OG are actually layerable, but after 3-4 coats it starts to get cloudy. No polishing /scuffing needed. On the older version you would need to polish the surface lightly. If you've purchased the OC in the last few months it should be the latest version.

It wasn't Optimum's intention to make it layerable from what I'm told and it was actually more of a side effect that happened during an update. They still insist that you don't need anything more than one coat.

Where you located? I could probably send you a small sample of OG if you like?
    Yeah that would definitely be cool. Im on the eastern shore of md.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You guys know anyone around Johnson City TN or even better Boone NC?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.