Detail and opti-coat of my friends 05 Evo 8 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Detail and opti-coat of my friends 05 Evo 8 within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Mango if you don't need your car for a few days and want to send them over to me. ..i'll ...

Mango if you don't need your car for a few days and want to send them over to me. ..i'll see if I can get them back in decent shape. Or if you're in the md eastern shore area let me know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That is quite inspiring. My '03 actually has really good paint left even on the front of the hood. If I could get all the water stains out it would look new (other than the faded bumpers)....

Only problem is I don't trust myself with a power tool on it, and I don't know anyone around here that I would have do it.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Using a da polisher such as a porter cable it is pretty much impossible to mess the paint up.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    Using a da polisher such as a porter cable it is pretty much impossible to mess the paint up.
    Hmmm, I think I could do that. I had my eye on one a couple of years ago but couldn't justify the purchase. My wife's car is pretty bad though - it might be just the perfect excuse....
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

The da polisher isn't fast and it will take some time to get it done. I myself like the menzerna products a lot... but there are really good products out there. That are cheaper. If you get the porter cable (pc) use 4" pads... you'll get better cutting action. The flex da polisher is what I use. More powerful and will really cut down on your work time. I started with the pc though and use both on many of my detail jobs.

UPDATE: My friend took these on his iphone a week exactly after the detail was completed. The opti-coat now looks a bit more glassy in person. Check out the flake which in silver isn't always easy to see pop.

A little video of him using the power washer to show the water beading on the car. Not the best vid, bad lighting, but you can get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfDwaAZTlNE

I am looking for anyone who may want to get their paint corrected in the Md area (i'm on the eastern shore about 20 min from the bay bridge). PM me if interested. I'm not looking to make boatloads of money as much as I am looking to get my name and work quality out there.
    Last edited by Methodical4u; 03-03-2012 at 11:45 PM.

Man, I wish you lived close to me! I can't even stand washing my car anymore.

Also, what exactly is opti-coat?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    Man, I wish you lived close to me! I can't even stand washing my car anymore.

Also, what exactly is opti-coat?
    Its a newer type of protection that came out a few years ago. It goes onto your paint and flashes into it. At full cure it is 2 microns thick which from their site is equivalent to 100 coats of standard wax or sealant. As it hardens it is at 9h on the hardness scale... which is pretty damn hard. Its basically adding a harder clearcoat to your car... and the only way it comes off is either polishing it... sanding it or chemically stripping it. Most say its good for 22 years. A guy on youtube has a video on his after 22 months and its still going strong for him.
    Last edited by Methodical4u; 03-04-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Which part of pa are you in?

Its a newer type of protection that came out a few years ago. It goes onto your paint and flashes into it. At full cure it is 2 microns thick which from their site is equivalent to 100 coats of standard wax or sealant. As it hardens it is at 9h on the hardness scale... which is pretty damn hard. Its basically adding a harder clearcoat to your car... and the only way it comes off is either polishing it... sanding it or chemically stripping it. Most say its good for 22 years. A guy on youtube has a video on his after 22 months and its still going strong for him.
    Which part of pa are you in?
    I'm an hour east of Pittsburgh.

Any special process to putting the opti-coat on a brand new car?

I'm an hour east of Pittsburgh.

Any special process to putting the opti-coat on a brand new car?
    I was a bit reluctant to use it at first... I was going to go with another product called cquartz. However, the opticoat just lasts so much longer and for the guy's car I used it on it was perfect for him since he doesn't like to wash his car much. Opti-coat can be cleaned with pretty much just a power washer. Supposedly tar, bugs, etc don't stick. I also applied it to his wheels and of course on an Evo the brake dust is horrible, but just flies off with this coating.

A new car sometimes is worse when it comes to marring. I ALWAYS tell the dealer DO NOT TOUCH MY CAR!!! I get them to leave the plastic on it and everything. Once you buy it, they just want to wash it and get it out of there.

The process is basically just getting the car how you want it, I recommend either getting it polished or having it polished to perfection. You will then need to do a IPA wipedown which is just rubbing alcohol with water mixed 50/50 to get all of the oils off. Inspect the car one more time and then do the application.

By the way, I just want to let everyone here know that I do not work for any company or anything of the sort to try to push products, as I put on the thread title. This is the first time i've used this stuff, but i'm very impressed with it and with japanese cars, the paint is soft and thin... they just have much more strict standards from what I have read so they aren't really cutting corners or going cheap with their paints... it's just their laws.

I was a bit reluctant to use it at first... I was going to go with another product called cquartz. However, the opticoat just lasts so much longer and for the guy's car I used it on it was perfect for him since he doesn't like to wash his car much. Opti-coat can be cleaned with pretty much just a power washer. Supposedly tar, bugs, etc don't stick. I also applied it to his wheels and of course on an Evo the brake dust is horrible, but just flies off with this coating.

A new car sometimes is worse when it comes to marring. I ALWAYS tell the dealer DO NOT TOUCH MY CAR!!! I get them to leave the plastic on it and everything. Once you buy it, they just want to wash it and get it out of there.

The process is basically just getting the car how you want it, I recommend either getting it polished or having it polished to perfection. You will then need to do a IPA wipedown which is just rubbing alcohol with water mixed 50/50 to get all of the oils off. Inspect the car one more time and then do the application.
    Thanks for the info! I was very strict on the dealer not messing with my car when it came in so it doesn't need polished, just a wipe down like you said. The car has less than 100 miles on it so I'd like to get it done ASAP.

Thanks for the info! I was very strict on the dealer not messing with my car when it came in so it doesn't need polished, just a wipe down like you said. The car has less than 100 miles on it so I'd like to get it done ASAP.
    Look it over really well from ALL angles and make sure that any marring and such is at least kept to a minimum. I would apply it to your wheels as well. Just watch all the videos you can before you apply it. When I did it... I wiped it onto smaller panels let it flash (just wait until most of it disappears) and then wipe off the excess or you'll wind up with high spots.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.