rock chips in front of rear wheels
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on rock chips in front of rear wheels within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was wondering if any of you had this issue and how you fixed it... For some reason, a lot ...

rock chips in front of rear wheels

I was wondering if any of you had this issue and how you fixed it...

For some reason, a lot of rocks get kicked up onto a spot right in front of my rear wheels and it is causing tiny chips in the paint. I am worried that if I just let it go the chips will become bigger/the area will start to rust.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-3.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	101827

I took this picture right after a snowstorm because the dirty water kicked up from the road illustrates well where the rock chips are occurring.

Subarus are really popular car in my area; after the last snowstorm I took a few peaks at other wrxs on the road (of the same body style) and they don't have the same heavy splattering of dirt where mine seems to accumulate, just "normal" looking dirty water spay patterns. I find it hard to imagine that I am the only one with this problem though...

Any suggestions on protecting this area or mitigating the problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't you have a clear protective film there?

If they still chip then RAs are a good option to protect your paint down there.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Rally Armor mud flaps...Like rage said.
    Drive Hard, Stay Driven..

I've have clear protective film but it's getting super chewed up and doesn't cover the whole area. Do you think it's coming from the front wheels then?

I Support ClubWRX
    Sould be from the front wheels.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Any suggestions for fixing the little tiny chips? Touch up paint is probably too much for the little ones.

Are the wheels painted or polished with clearcoat?

The few things you could do are powdercoat the wheels which is super hard and they have some colors out there that would match the oe paint pretty well. As I suggested on my detail suggestions thread you can use opticoat 2.0 or cquartz which you just wipe on after cleaning the surface and let it dry. Look up cquartz on youtube there are vids of them trying to scratch it and can't. Not very expensive for what it is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    The few things you could do are powdercoat the wheels which is super hard and they have some colors out there that would match the oe paint pretty well. As I suggested on my detail suggestions thread you can use opticoat 2.0 or cquartz which you just wipe on after cleaning the surface and let it dry. Look up cquartz on youtube there are vids of them trying to scratch it and can't. Not very expensive for what it is though.
    It's not the wheels specifically that are chipping. It the area right in front of the rear ones on the body of the car. I'll look into the opticoat 2.0 and the cquartz stuff though. Thanks for the advice

Oh ok... well you could always just order some of the 3m clear bra and just cut it the best way to protect the paint in those areas.

It really does not look like you have the clear 3M on your rear doors in that pic. But anyway, the Rally Armor flaps do protect the side of the car pretty well because they stick out pretty far.

2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Yep... I had the ra ur mudflaps on my x and they really did do a great job protecting the paint.

I haven't used this product yet, but on a detailing forum I frequent, it's well recommended.
    Dr.ColorChip

+1 for Rally Armor
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

paintscratch.com give them your vin and such... prices aren't to bad, and if you wanted to, they will put your paint in a spray can.

Remember to not wax the car for a while. Some people let it cure a full 90 days... others don't do so much, but the gasses have to be able to escape freely in order for the paint to cure properly.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.