Simple Green on 2011 WRX wheels
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Simple Green on 2011 WRX wheels within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Do you guys think it's alright to use Simple Green All Purpose Cleaner on the 2011 WRX wheels? I used ...

Simple Green on 2011 WRX wheels

Do you guys think it's alright to use Simple Green All Purpose Cleaner on the 2011 WRX wheels? I used it today and they came out fine. Just want to make sure there will be no long term effects. And also is it safe to put a paint sealant on the wheels?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I doubt it'd cause any issues..
    My Build | Facebook | I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd suggest cool / cold wheels, never hot or warm.

Paint sealant (wax)? Sure, on cold / cool wheels.

... and while you are at it ...

How to safely clean an engine bay
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Thanks!

simple green is paint safe. You should be fine. I usually just use carwash soap (leftovers in bucket after car is washed) on mine (2010) and it works fine as well.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    simple green is paint safe. You should be fine. I usually just use carwash soap (leftovers in bucket after car is washed) on mine (2010) and it works fine as well.
    Thats what I used to do, but I used Simple Green today and it made the job much easier. All you have to do is wipe off instead of scrubbing.

Quote Originally Posted by GSeightWRX View Post
    Thats what I used to do, but I used Simple Green today and it made the job much easier. All you have to do is wipe off instead of scrubbing.
    Mine gets a wash once every week, I dont really have to work hard at it since I dont really get much road crap buildup. That and I'm still on factory type pads so the brake dust isn't terrible either.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

simple green is pretty good, though I generally only use that for engine bay, as Sasquatch mentioned above, I detail my engine bay in the same manner thanks to his thread

I use Sonax wheel cleaner for mine, got it off of DetailersDomain. It's fairly expensive, but there is a lot of road dirt here and salt from the ocean so its worth it for me. Spray it on, leave it for 3-5 mins on cool/cold wheels and wash it off and the wheels are great!
    Justin ~ 2011 WRX (WRB Sedan) ~ 275whp/299wtq

Build Thread Beloww:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-2011-wrx.html

I just use a custom concoction I came up with that takes anything off super easy:
    1 part paint thinner
    1 part laundry detergent
    1 part rubbing alcohol
    1 part all-purpose cleaner

I put it in my pressure washer and it cleans things right up. Simple green is for wusses.....
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by GSeightWRX View Post
    Do you guys think it's alright to use Simple Green All Purpose Cleaner on the 2011 WRX wheels? I used it today and they came out fine. Just want to make sure there will be no long term effects. And also is it safe to put a paint sealant on the wheels?
    Undilted Simple Green is pretty strong stuff. I use it to clean wheels diluted 1:4 with water. And only clean one wheel at a time. Particularly in the summer, where it will dry quickly. You just don't want it to sit on the wheel for too long.

And a sealant is a very good idea on wheels. The high temps will obliterate even a good Carnauba wax but a sealant should last a few months.

Personally I would avoid using Simple Green on wheels. Diluted properly it will probably be fine but I've seen people have staining issues before. Obviously only apply it to cool wheels and never let it dry on the surface. Also be sure that the wheels are rinsed really well and make sure that there is no cleaner left pooled behind the center caps or in the recessed area of the lugs.

IMO, if you are cleaning often (weekly), you really shouldn't need anything more than soap and water to clean the wheels. If it's been a while then I suggest going with a cleaner designed for safe and effective removal of brake dust, dirt, and grime on all wheel types, like Sonax Full Effect and P21S Gel. Combine either of those cleaners with some good bushes like the EZ brush or Wheel Whoolies and you're good to go.

Rasky
    Last edited by RaskyR1; 02-28-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Buy sonox or sonax not sure how it's spelled wheel cleaner... spray it and it changes color from green to a dark purple as it works. Not harsh on wheels either.

Banned
    Sonax FE is nice and I have a few bottles but for $16 a bottle it is good for really dirty wheels. i have stopped using it in place I use mother Wheel and tire foam cleaner. its 4.99 a bottle and it does a great job..it also does a really good job on cleaning your tires. I save my Sonax now for someone who has some really funky wheels. just not worth spending the money for it if you maintain your wheels and they are relatively clean.

i personally will never use simple green..if you dont dilute it right it can and will etch aluminum

Yes it can... but these wheels are clearcoated aluminum. I have the brush which I don't recall the name of now that you put on your cordless drill and it works pretty well for me.

I Support ClubWRX
    I would read the label carefully. There are several "flavors" of Simple Green. The original was caustic to aluminum. They actually have an automotive specific application.
    Extreme Simple Green Motorsports Cleaner & Degreaser
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.