Subaru WRX Forum banner

Wrx Detailing first time

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  teflon_jones 
#1 ·
Hi guys! so detailing questions!!!! i usually just do a soap wash, rinse, then meguiars wax.. Does anyone have any suggestions for the wrx?

im thinking..
1) Dawn Wash
2) Rinse/ Dry
3) Meguiar's Clay
4) Wolfgang Paint Sealer?? Recommended but i cant find it anywhere!!
5) Possibly Wax?- Meguiar's Gold Class Wax

Any suggestions? feedback is welcomed.

Thanks,
Candice

#3 ·
Welcome...

I usally wash twice with soap, dry, claybar, then I use Nufinish scilicone based paint sealant... I personally am not a fan of wax cause it seems to highlight imperfections in the paint... That and scilicone based products seem to protect better as well as last longer...

Craig...

#5 ·
Wolfgang Paint Sealer is great. So is Meguiar's #20 Polymer Sealant. If you have a hard time finding them, go to a CarQuest and look for Duragloss 105. It's a polymer sealant that has some of the best longevity in the industry, is easier to apply than most, costs less and can be had at a popular parts store.
Be careful with clay, though. You can mar the paint just as easily as clean it. A good car wash, followed by clay on areas prone to road debris (bumper, hood, near wheels) and then a sealant is a good routine.

You can layer Carnauba on top of a sealant. Great results. You get the durable protection of a sealant with the deeper gloss (especially on dark/metallic colors) of a Carnauba. The only thing is, a polymeric sealant doesn't bond well to Carnauba (nature does a good job making sure nothing bonds to it!). Good thing is, the Carnauba will typically be gone in a month or two, so you can toss another layer of sealant. I usually only apply wax just before a car meet/show, or something along those lines.

#6 ·
Wash
Clay bar
Sealant
Glaze
Wax

I use adams polishes products exclusively. Ill post pictures after I glaze and wax tomorrow, still waiting on the sealant's 24 hour cure.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

#8 ·
:redface:

IMO some people do too much polishing and waxing. Paint is thin and can take only so much abrasive. I'm down to one claybar / wax session a year and the 7+ year old WRX looks great for the most part.

Gentle frequent hand washing is key to keeping a car looking good. IMO. Every week or two weather permitting. I've got a nice OCD inspired system that works very well.

#10 ·
Here are some pics of my results.

#11 ·
The best way to wash your car is to watch the forecast and find a day it's going to rain. Go drive your car really fast. Rinse and repeat.

My 911 rarely gets washed, never mind my STI. I love how they look washed (especially the 911) but if I have the choice between driving the car or washing it, guess what I pick every time? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.