Leaf blower to dry car?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Leaf blower to dry car? within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Surely I am not the first to contemplate this, but I'm tired of using a chamois to dry my cars ...

Leaf blower to dry car?

Surely I am not the first to contemplate this, but I'm tired of using a chamois to dry my cars after washing. Especially with my new WRX, I find there is a ton of water still coming out all over the place after I've dried it. I just want to blow the water right out/off the car.

If anyone does use this method, what type of blower do you use? Cordless? Wired? Gas powered? What sort of cfm does your leaf blower put out and how well does it work?

Thanks!
    2011 Spark Silver WRX 5-door. No mods....yet.
    2000 Navy Blue Camaro Z28. Some bolt-ons, stereo.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have tried this many times and I am up in the air on it. I have heard not to use gas as it can actually blow contaminants on your paint (gas/oil). I have a plug in leaf blower (worx) and it does a decent job but not that great. What I have been doing lately is using a auto water blade to get most of the water off and a high quality micro fiber drying towel and just pat dry. I then use my air compressor with an open ended attachment to blow out the cracks and crevices so I don't get the annoying water streaks
    2011 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX (Stock)
    2002 Onyx Black Camaro SS (not stock, 435rwhp with full bolt ons, heads/cam, naturally aspirated)

I use my shop vac to dry my wheels off, it works great.

Yeah, I tried with my air compressor (8 gal), but I had to keep stopping every couple of minutes to let it build up pressure again = frustrating. It worked, but I think something more constant like a leaf blower would do a better job.
    2011 Spark Silver WRX 5-door. No mods....yet.
    2000 Navy Blue Camaro Z28. Some bolt-ons, stereo.

This guy uses a leaf blower for wheel cleaning at his shop (in his video). It's toward the end when he's done. Haven't seen a leaf blower for the entire body drying though..

2011 WRX DGM Limited Hatch
    Stink-Eye Mob #408

Cobb AP Stage 1, AEM CAI, SPT CBE, Tint, Red Tail Overlays, V1 hardwire, RA Mudflaps, STI STS, HT Auto Front Lip

i use a couple by that i mean 1 or 2 microfiber towels after i wash you can still get dirt off of the car after washing it its pretty crazy how much is still left on
    2003 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon

"I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Is it fast? I don't even know if its street legal. O.o (IROC-Z)

I swear I remember reading about some famous dude using a leaf blower to dry off his car & it caught on fire. It's around here somewhere...

Ah, here it is: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/19/o...che-boxster-b/
    Last edited by AmateurX; 08-24-2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: added link
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Definitely don't use a gas powered blower. It will most likely low leftover gas/oil, dirt etc onto your car. The downside to any blower i see is the fact that any contaminants on the ground can be picked up and blown onto the car. Get "The Absorber", should be available at most auto parts stores or Ace Hardware (they can order it if not in store). It works pretty good
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Some guys over on autopia use one. Works pretty well I guess as long as its a clean area without dirt on the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I use a battery type leaf blower with a modified extension, works, but doesn't blow hard enough. They make an electric car dryer, but it is expensive. $300
    2008 WRX Premium-Sedan, WRB, Invidia DP, SPT CBE, VF-52, TGV Deletes, Walbro F/P, Stg 2 CAMTuned, Pink springs, Whiteline Sways, Brembos F/R, RPF1, Star Specs, Pioneer/Alpine/JL, Kartboy SS/Bushings, Leather Seats and JPM Coachworks Boots, DAMD flat bottom steering wheel, Grimspeed M/C brace,TRS HID Retrofit.

I always use a leaf blower -- very efficient. It's just used to get most of the water out of the nooks and crannies and under the doorjams, etc. I leaf blow the driveway first so that no debris hits the car.

After the leaf blower, I dry with the Absorber, drive, wiggle the car around during the drive, park, wipe any water that came out.

Dennis

If the finish has been waxed and is smooth it will make it much easier... as i've said before... the less you touch the finish, the less chance it has to mar. My blower works like a charm, 2 settings of 150 mph or 230 mph I believe it is. It works very well, I do use a drying towel on some areas. You can always blow it all dry and do as many do ... use a QD on it afterward OR, if you MUST touch the finish while drying... dry with your towel and use a QD as you do it. A slicker finish also has less chance to mar. A lot of very nice QD's out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in NH View Post
    I always use a leaf blower -- very efficient. It's just used to get most of the water out of the nooks and crannies and under the doorjams, etc. I leaf blow the driveway first so that no debris hits the car.

Dennis

+1

There is nothing worse than spending so much time detailing, then to go for a ride only to have water spewing out of the hood scoop, mirrors, and all down the rear bumper

a leaf blower is best for getting the water out of the cracks. Say like out hood scoops. You wouldn't believe how much tater is held there.

I use a squeegee. It works nicely.

Amazon.com: California Water Blade 14": Automotive
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast