Leaf blower to dry car? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Leaf blower to dry car? within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by oguitar I use a squeegee. It works nicely. Amazon.com: California Water Blade 14": Automotive Agree. Leaf blower ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    I use a squeegee. It works nicely.

Amazon.com: California Water Blade 14": Automotive

Agree. Leaf blower is a good idea but is to slow for a car. Squeegee and synthetic chamois for me. That being said, leaf blowers are excellent for motorcycle drying. Small foot print and lots of crevices makes the perfect combination for leaf blower effectiveness.
    '12 WRX Limited, 5-door -- Black

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ea126405 View Post
    Agree. Leaf blower is a good idea but is to slow for a car. Squeegee and synthetic chamois for me. That being said, leaf blowers are excellent for motorcycle drying. Small foot print and lots of crevices makes the perfect combination for leaf blower effectiveness.
    100% agree on motorcycle comment.

So for the car, leaf blower is great to dry out all of door jams and space between the rubber and the metal where the trunk meets the car, section of metal exposed after all doors are open, under the doors themselves, the water trapped behind the door mirrors, all the spokes on the wheels, the water on the spings/suspension components, the water that sits in the space where trunk, doors, hook meet the car.

Dennis

ive seen a guy drying his dog off with a leaf blower, but that is irrelevant. it seems like a good idea though

Quote Originally Posted by ea126405 View Post
    A chamios isn't bad, I would be careful about using a water blade... any dirt left on the paint will marr the sh*t out of it.
    Last edited by Methodical4u; 08-28-2012 at 11:22 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    5 shamwows sown together and BAMF! super dry!!!!!
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty504 View Post
    I have tried this many times and I am up in the air on it. I have heard not to use gas as it can actually blow contaminants on your paint (gas/oil). I have a plug in leaf blower (worx) and it does a decent job but not that great.

I then use my air compressor with an open ended attachment to blow out the cracks and crevices so I don't get the annoying water streaks
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    Definitely don't use a gas powered blower. It will most likely low leftover gas/oil, dirt etc onto your car. The downside to any blower i see is the fact that any contaminants on the ground can be picked up and blown onto the car. Get "The Absorber", should be available at most auto parts stores or Ace Hardware (they can order it if not in store). It works pretty good
    Good points in the above posts. I'd definitely use an electric one. There's a car wash near me that has a blower to dry the car off but it doesn't have enough air pressure to really work effectively. A high capacity air compressor would also work well.

Personally the method I've used most over the years is the spot free rinse and then a short run on the highway to air dry the car. I usually end up with a couple of streaks somewhere where water collected in the door sills or other areas but those are easy to fix.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    I use Wax as you dry, and a couple towels. I also pop the hood, open the truck, and dry out all the door jams.

Works great.

But I have used the water blade, shammys, sham wow, leaf blower etc.

The problem with a leaf blower is that unless every place, knook and cranny on your car that has water is waxed well, and your water has a low mineral content, you just kind of smear the water droplets around or evaporate most of them. The water drops will travel down the panel and you end up chasing them around.

There is a commercially ( info-mercial) product available market at doing just this. I forget what its called, but it shows a chic using essentially a vacuum cleaner set to blow on a corvette.

edit:

I think this is it, Damn $300

Home | cardryer.com

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-M...ir+force+dryer

Last edited by 06wrx4me; 08-29-2012 at 06:20 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Registered User thescreensavers's Avatar
    Wax + Electric Leaf Blower = Mostly dry car without touching the paint.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I just open and close all the doors, hood and hatch and wipe out in the gas hatch. I knocks or drains most of the water out of the scoop, door handles and mirrors. You have to dry around the hatches with them open though.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

if you want a completely spot free wash, buy a water deionizer... but the refills aren't cheap.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

in theory, a fantastic idea.

in application--only use on your dad's pickup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12