I like it keep my car shiny, but is this safe?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on I like it keep my car shiny, but is this safe? within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Is it safe to wax twice a month, using Mothers pure carnauba wax?...

Registered User 2011REXRoyalBlu's Avatar

I like it keep my car shiny, but is this safe?

Is it safe to wax twice a month, using Mothers pure carnauba wax?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I wax mine at least twice a month, sometimes more often depending on how abused its been on its travels. You should be fine, though once or twice a year you will want to strip it down, claybar and build the protection back up again.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I think twice a month is counterproductive, as the waxing process, even when done with meticulous care, will tend to cause some swirling. Every month or two is plenty, and then just use a good spray like Duragloss #951 Aquawax in between waxing.

Definitely agree on once a year detail, though. Best way to promote adhesion to the paint is to start with a clean base.

if the paint is protected with regular wax application to the degree it should be given how brittle it is.. you shouldn't see swirling from hand waxing, esp if using good soft terrycloth or microfiber towels. Wax application with a power buffer can give you swirling if you're not careful.

I do also wash the car at least once a week, sometimes twice depending again on how much abuse its seen through its travels (or depending on how many gulls have used it for target practice.. I dunno what they eat but its made of battery acid I swear). Recently I compounded the car panel by panel by hand.. that job was no fun but its super clear and no swirls. Aside of the massive amount of chipping up front, the whole car looks like this

OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

did you win American IDOL this year?

? .. uh.. random...

dont get me started on how much I hate that reality tv garbage and how its responsible for the dumming down of society. wtf does that have to do with wax/paint care?

we're getting sidetracked..
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

the reflection of the guy in the first picture? Scotty is that you?

So serious

oh yea.... no homo

I Support ClubWRX
    Twice a month? If you are using a wax with a cleaner (mild abrasive) then no would be the answer.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Twice a month? If you are using a wax with a cleaner (mild abrasive) then no would be the answer.
    Nah, just plain old meguires deep crystal carnuba wax. Sometimes if its still got that soft smooth feel to it I'll just use spray wax, but if its been drivin in the rain a bunch I'll give a coat of carnuba.

Quote Originally Posted by THATONEGUY View Post
    the reflection of the guy in the first picture? Scotty is that you?

So serious

oh yea.... no homo
    .. thats uh.. my ugly mug.. and I still have absolutely no Idea what you're talkin about. *shrug*
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.