Strange little 'micro spots' appearing after wax job

This is a discussion on Strange little 'micro spots' appearing after wax job within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I washed and waxed my '11 WRX yesterday (first time since clear bra was put on) and afterwards I had ...

Strange little 'micro spots' appearing after wax job

I washed and waxed my '11 WRX yesterday (first time since clear bra was put on) and afterwards I had it sitting outside for a couple of hours while I was doing some other things and when I went back over to the car, I noticed these tiny little 'spots' all around the sides of the car, almost like a mist of water had hit the car and dried micro little water spots or something. I wiped them off with the same towel I had wiped the wax off with and they just disappeared and everything looked great. But today after work, I went out to the car and I saw the same sort of micro spots again on the sides of the car all the way around. There was/is no mist or anything that I'm aware of unless the car is somehow condensing water vapor on its own or something bizarre. I can't imagine what is causing these little spots that look like micro water spots to appear that just wipe off. I don't think I saw any on the clear bra area, mostly on the side door height areas.

You can only see them really in direct sunlight about 2-3 feet from the car. Any further away and the car looks perfect. If you wipe them, they disappear and it looks perfect close-up, but like I said, they re-appeared again today so it seems very mysterious. I don't recall seeing anything like that on my last dark colored car and certainly not on my alpine white '04 WRX. Any ideas?
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've had tire shine excess come off and look like that.. but if you didn't use any that explanation doesn't hold any weight. What sort of wax did you use?
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I did use tire shine, but it could only have come from the spray bottle itself the first time since I didn't move the car until after I wiped off the first set of spots. I would have thought it would have dried overnight before I went to work this morning, but if not that might explain the 2nd set. I'm not sure if it was on the doors the first time. If it was only on the fender area, that would probably explain it.

I used TurtleWax 2000 (polymer based). I've been trying to use up the last of it before going to something else. They don't make it anymore, but it worked well on the '04 (at least 7 months of water beading). I'm debating which wax or polish to use next. I got the TurtleWax "Ice" car wash, but I've seen so many different opinions on wax (both natural and polymer based) it's hard to decide. Then there's the polish/glaze route to consider.

That wax definitely liked to stick to the edges of the clear bra sections. It took some doing to clear it up again. I'm wondering if a little color magic black wax might work best along the edge of the bra (make it dark instead of white where it sticks, but then it probably hazes lighter. I haven't used it since my black Z24 over a decade ago and it sure as heck didn't cover scratches or anything like the ads claimed (and made a mess of any cloth used to wipe it off).

But to show how the Universe has a sick sense of humor... somewhere today (after I left work I think), I found the largest bird dropping I've EVER seen on a car sitting dead center near the top of my hood (it splashed onto the windshield it was such a massive splat...maybe a goose?) As soon as I noticed it, I got out and sprayed the Ice detailer spray I use to clean off the clear bra with it and sopped it up, but after I got home I could see that it's etched the paint on the surface a bit. I have not been able to buff it out 100% yet (maybe 85%). You can only see it from a close angle to the hood (particularly noticeable since the rest of the hood looks like a glass mirror from that angle), but damn that bird did some damage in one splat. It couldn't have sat there more than a few hours, maximum, but man that was a big splat (probably 2 inches in diameter). And right after spending 3 hours cleaning the car yesterday (I rubbed leather conditioner into all the seats too).

I see three spots on the front of the bumper where it looks like rock chips damaged the surface of the clear bra (slightly cloudy looking on the surface there) and it won't wipe off. The installer said to dab rubbing alcohol onto any abrasions and the wipe it off as that would 'melt' the top layer and let it settle flat again. I haven't tried that yet as I'm not sure it's the same thing. Mind you, these are really picky things by most people, I'm sure (I'm making them sound worse than they are), but they stand out when the rest of the paint job looks brand new and shiny as a mirror (I knew I'd go nuts about every little thing if I bought a brand new car).

I'm not sure what the best kind of wheel cleaner to use is either. Oddly enough, the wheels cleaned off perfect with just a terry towel (seem to be coated with teflon or something similar in action since the brake dust and any dirt just came off like nothing).
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

Bird poo sucks.. water spots suck.. pretty much anything will mar the surface of subaru clear. Not sure why its so delicate.. but until the front of your car looks like this

Rather disappointing when the rest of the car looks like this

You'll be fine.. hopefully the clear bra will keep most of ^ from happening to your car. Mine on the other hand, will require a re-spray in a year or two. Funny thing about the shape of our cars though, I get tire shine "fling off" down the side of the car just about every time unless I wipe the wheels down with a cloth after the application has had time to dry. (also have odd chipping patterns down the sides of the car too.. but.. yeah)
    I use Meguires stuff that dries well too. The best stuff I have ever come across was a product by stoner and they've since discontinued it. That stuff really brought out the black of the tires and never got off of them. No fling off what so ever.

but since you're spots keep re-appearing I'm wondering if there's moisture trapped in the wax maybe? possibly condensation in the bottle? .. dunno man.. thats pretty odd.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!