Wheel cleaner safe to use? Other wheel questions

This is a discussion on Wheel cleaner safe to use? Other wheel questions within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, I have a 2011 WRX with the stock dark grey wheels (is that paint or powder-coat)? Can I ...

Wheel cleaner safe to use? Other wheel questions

Hey all,
    I have a 2011 WRX with the stock dark grey wheels (is that paint or powder-coat)?

Can I use Meguiar's All Wheel cleaner on those, or do I need one of their specific wheel cleaners? I used the all wheel cleaner once and the next day it looked like there was just a bit of white residue left over. Is that normal?

Finally, after washing the wheels, I noticed the next day there was a very thin layer of rust on the rotors. It came off after driving and braking for a little bit, but is that normal and ok too?

Thanks for all the help!
    2011 Subaru WRX Limited DGM 4 door

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have been using Meguair's wheel cleaner on my 2011's wheels for 6 months & have not had any issues so far.I spray on,wait for 15 seconds,wipe with a damp cloth & dry with microfiber.

Rust on the rotors is normal.Like you said it goes away after driving around.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

thanks. Are you using their All Wheel cleaner, or one of the more specific ones they make?
    2011 Subaru WRX Limited DGM 4 door

I use the all-wheel cleaner too. No issues. First weekend I had the car, I did a full wash, clay, polish, and I put a coat of polish/wax on the wheels. Do that, and they'll be easy to clean in the future.
    2011 Spark Silver WRX 5-door. No mods....yet.
    2000 Navy Blue Camaro Z28. Some bolt-ons, stereo.

I use chemical guys' diablo gel wheel and rim cleaner and an EZ detail brush. no problems and squeaky clean results!
    2011 WRX DGM Limited Hatch
    Stink-Eye Mob #408

Cobb AP Stage 1, AEM CAI, SPT CBE, Tint, Red Tail Overlays, V1 hardwire, RA Mudflaps, STI STS, HT Auto Front Lip

Ok, I've been unsuccessful with trying to find the right brush to clean these freakin' wheels. I can't seem to find a brush that gets in-between these narrow spokes. I need suggestions. ??
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

I Support ClubWRX
    I use a Viking microfiber soft wand for wheels.It gets right in there between the spokes.Now I have to figure out how to get the grime off the inner rim of the wheel without taking the tire off

http://www.amazon.com/Viking-Microfi...9&sr=8-1-fkmr1
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 07-06-2011 at 11:37 AM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I use a Viking microfiber soft wand for wheels.It gets right in there between the spokes.Now I have to figure out how to get the grime off the inner rim of the wheel without taking the tire off

Amazon.com: Viking Microfiber Metal Free Wheel & Rim Wand: Automotive
    Does that thing have enough "gusto" to clean the wheel adequately? Seems too gentle for dirty wheels...
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

I Support ClubWRX
    I refuse to use a brush on the wheels.I spray Amazon.com: Meguiar's G-9524 Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner. 24 oz.: Automotive and it loosens the dirt and then use the wand to clean up.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT