Putting together a detailing kit..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Putting together a detailing kit.. within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just recently put together a detailing kit and was wondering if anyone has any more suggestions on things I ...

Putting together a detailing kit..

I just recently put together a detailing kit and was wondering if anyone has any more suggestions on things I may or may not need. Here is a list of what I have already. Everything is Meguiars for now since I was able to get a good discount on them.

-Ultimate Wash/Wax
    -Smooth Surface Clay kit
    -Ultimate Polish
    -NXT 2.0 wax
    -Gold Class Carnuaba plus

-Micro fiber wash mit
    -Micro fiber drying towels
    -Micro fiber applicators/towels

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I can't speak too much about your products. The only meguairs stuff I have is their interior spray and their clay bar kit with quick detailer. I like both products for what it is worth.

Buy a lot of towels.

I am not familiar with that polish either. I don't know whether you'd require a machine for that or not. You should look into it before you order it. Some polishes require the rpm of the machine to break down properly. Some don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Thanks for a little insight, I am defiantly going to do some more research on all the products before I finalize my order, and probably going to go pick up more towels to play it safe. I have about a dozen different sized ones already but you can never have too much

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by skudda33 View Post
    Thanks for a little insight, I am defiantly going to do some more research on all the products before I finalize my order, and probably going to go pick up more towels to play it safe. I have about a dozen different sized ones already but you can never have too much
    I go through 8 when doing an ONR wash of my car. The side skirts and hatch get so darn dirty. Microfibers hold on to dirt instead of release it, so its best as soon as you see any dirt on the towel to flip it around and get a clean section. I fold mine into thirds one way and halfs the other. Creates a nice pad to avoid high pressure in small spots and allows for easy flipping to a new section. I also change drying towels when I change wash towels. I use a set for the roof, hood, and front fender, one set for each side, and a set for the hatch. Also if you plan on polishing and waxing/sealing, buffing the material off will go through towels quick. Just go to target and get a lot of the softer 'vroom' towels and tear the tag off fo them before using them. I am pretty pleased with them so far, and the price is right. I just do a load of towels every other car wash - sanitary with just a big squirt of dish soap, extra spin cycle to dry, and then air dry. Towels come out nice and static-y. Just my rather inexperienced opinions - take it or leave it.

I have a Menzerna final polish that I tried by hand one time. I don't think I will do it again without picking up a dual action machine. I just don't think I got near the benefit I should have from it (even though it is such a mild finishing polish) by hand. Next season maybe I will sooop up a machine.

I think the big thign I need to invest in are some decent lights for the garage. I do most of my stuff other than a wash if its nice out indoors. With overlooming telephone wires and a giant oak tree, the car is dirty before I finish. The lights in the garage are not ideal.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

Hey man every bit of advice is one more thing I have to add to my arsenal of things to do or watch out for. I plan on going to Walmart once more before I get to fully detail the car so ill be sure to grab a whole lot of extra towels and anything else I think I might need.

I looked up that ultimate wash once more and saw nothing on it that said you must use a machine to polish. Gives both and and machine directions so lets hope I don't need extra elbow grease to get it all off haha.

The tag on the micro fiber towels is so annoying to rip off. They should put the thing on there knowing we are all just going to rip it off, so we don't end up completely destroying the towel.. o well

One final question... I know almost any wax, polish, and everything else says must be applied in the shade and in a cool environment. I rather not do it in my garage if i don't have to due to the lack of space in there and poor lighting like you stated.( the lights in my garage are about 15 feet from the ground so totally not ideal) If it is a cool day out which it should be for the next few at least if is ok to do it outside or will that affect the end product if things end up getting a little hotter then they should?

This is my first time detailing a car the correct way so I rather ask a lot of questions before I screw something up.

I Support ClubWRX
    Heat makes things a bit more difficult, but you should be okay. Try to do it in the shade if possible, but I wouldn't be over concerned. The garage is as much of a hinderance as the sun if not more in my opinion. One side of things you can see better, one side its a bit warm. Both have their ups and downs.

I don't know about walmart, but Target carries that brand. I'd check there if you have one for towels. The tags ripped off pretty easily on mine - I got lucky I guess.

I didn't think polishing by hand was too bad... Just not that beneficial either. I was looking for some physical activity anyhow. After washing and everything though, it's one more step. Make sure you set aside several hours to do the full ordeal. Also, most suggest only polishing a car once or twice a year - keep in mind its abrasive and altering your clear coat. Maybe four times/yr or so if its a lighter polish.

Some time spent reading over on autopia might help you out. Those guys over there know their stuff when it comes to anything in the detailing realm. Most of what I picked up was from them.
    2011 STi Build Log

One note on the clay bar kit, try it out on one section first with the detailing spray. For some realms when I used it the spray caused the clay to run and streak down the whole.car and I had to redo it

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by srtdemonr View Post
    One note on the clay bar kit, try it out on one section first with the detailing spray. For some realms when I used it the spray caused the clay to run and streak down the whole.car and I had to redo it
    I would suggest breaking your clay bar into smaller pieces (quarters at largest). It's too easy to drop in my opinion. This way you aren't tempted to reuse bad clay. I didn't even clay my whole car, just anything that a light wash wouldn't take off. I want to wait until I have a slightly stronger polish (enough to fix up swirls/marring) and a machine polisher to do that.

If you do drop some, dust it off or wash it off with car wash and use it on your windows with detailing spray. I think you'll be really impressed. I was shocked at how good the results were. Just spray it, clay it, then wipe it clean with a microfiber =).
    2011 STi Build Log

I ended up detailing my car today since it was so nice out and I had all the stuff I needed to get the job done. I used everything i listed above except for the polish since I still did not have it at the time. I must say though that I am really impressed with the end result. For this being the first time I really waxed and finished a car I did a really god job. At least to my standards. ill post pictures a little later, and see if I can get a good before and after shot next to each other.

here are a few shots right after i finished

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks great!

Cleaning cars is strangely addicting. For me, it's nice to actually do something physical after I sit in a cube all day.

The other nice part about doing a full detail - will be easier to wash from here out. If my car is real dirty I will run it through a pay and spray, then do an ONR once I get home. It's enough to give it that fresh, just waxed look. I may start using that instant detailer and a nice cloth after each wash. I was really impressed with it when I used it on my windows (and the overspray that hit the car) with the clay.
    2011 STi Build Log

one thing about buying the micro fiber towels. i found the best deal on micro fiber towels to be at sams club. that is if you have a club card.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by irvin787878 View Post
    one thing about buying the micro fiber towels. i found the best deal on micro fiber towels to be at sams club. that is if you have a club card.
    I've heard of those towels being very 'up and down'. Some of them are great, some not so much. That is from second hand word though off of autopia. I will check them out first hand sometime though. I am very pleased with the target ones, however. They are great after a wash/dry - nice and staticy but still soft.
    2011 STi Build Log

just another hint when you wash all your towels when you are done using them make sure you wash them separately because microfibers and regular towels dont mix and its better to keep dirt and other stuff from your regular towels out of your microfibers so you dont scratch your paint. all the guys at the detail shop that i work at wash them all together and they wonder why there cars get all scratched up from their microfibers

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    I've heard of those towels being very 'up and down'. Some of them are great, some not so much. That is from second hand word though off of autopia. I will check them out first hand sometime though. I am very pleased with the target ones, however. They are great after a wash/dry - nice and staticy but still soft.
    i havent had any troubles with them. maybe i just got lucky i guess. i have bought 3 bags of them so far. going to get another one soon. they eventualy get used for something else and i dont reuse them on my car just get a new bag.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast