Help me, Huge rock chip

This is a discussion on Help me, Huge rock chip within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I purchased a brand new 2011 wrx and when I went to put on my diy front lip... ...

Help me, Huge rock chip

Hey guys, I purchased a brand new 2011 wrx and when I went to put on my diy front lip... I saw this huge rock chip. It really bothered me but I just got to get over it, there is nothing I can do but fix it now. I have done searching on the web but I can't even determine how far deep this is.from what I gathered if it is beyond the clear coat which I'm sure it is...then I have to sand 2000grit and use touch up paint to prevent further chipping, rust, and what not? Please chime in if you can.

Here are some pics...

Sorry bad phone pics, if you guys need something better please let me know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You just need to clean up the area and put on some touch-up paint. Not much to it.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

KHP
    You guys can call me a coward, but that is exactly why I got my clear bra. Hmm... Those don't look too bad though... yeah I guess you can just add touch up paint and it shouldn't be noticeable to anyone else. Good luck!
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    You guys can call me a coward
    COWARD!!!!!!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Meh... It happens man.. Subaru's factory paint jobs are very chinzey... give it about 3 years and it wont even bother you anymore...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    COWARD!!!!!!
    I was asking for it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    You guys can call me a coward, but that is exactly why I got my clear bra. !
    How effective are clear bras, i mean they are only a thin layer of clear adhesive, a stone/rock travelling at you while on the highway is definetly going to penetrate that film and chip the car, so you'd end up with a break in the film and a chip to the paint which would be just as nasty.

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by Black11wrx View Post
    How effective are clear bras, i mean they are only a thin layer of clear adhesive, a stone/rock travelling at you while on the highway is definetly going to penetrate that film and chip the car, so you'd end up with a break in the film and a chip to the paint which would be just as nasty.
    You'll be surprised how effective they can be. Clear bra's are almost the same material that they stick on the leading edge of helicopter props to prevent them from chipping away while spinning faster than the speed of sound. I think it will dent the area first before the film actually breaks.

A Clear Bra wouldn't have prevented that damage. Is this on the bumper? I wouldn't do any sanding, and end up thinning out the rest of the paint surrounding it. Buy some touchup paint and fill in the void to keep the chip from propagating further.

I have a similar problem (large chip on the corner of the A pillar). Unfortunately, it has now turned rust colored. What should be my next step? Is it still a bit of sanding and touch up paint? Or something more?

Quote Originally Posted by clarkeee View Post
    I have a similar problem (large chip on the corner of the A pillar). Unfortunately, it has now turned rust colored. What should be my next step? Is it still a bit of sanding and touch up paint? Or something more?
    You can buy a fiberglass pen to remove the rust and apply touch up paint in layers till it meets up with the original.

Quote Originally Posted by maleck View Post
    You can buy a fiberglass pen to remove the rust and apply touch up paint in layers till it meets up with the original.
    Thanks maleck! This info will come in handy in the future.

This time, I took it to a body shop. They sanded the rust out (with what I don't know). Then they put some sealer, some paint, and then some clear coat. Came out great on the corners and looks alright on one flat spot on the hood.