how to get snow off the car
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on how to get snow off the car within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok ,so now I'm paranoid after seeing some minor scratches under the light on my 2011's hood.I want to know ...

I Support ClubWRX

how to get snow off the car

Ok ,so now I'm paranoid after seeing some minor scratches under the light on my 2011's hood.I want to know what other members resort to to get the snow off their cars.The brushes I have seem to be a bit too harsh.I suspect thats how those scratches got there,since I never take the car to a car wash & wipe clean only with micro fiber cloth.I was thinking of taking a swiffer duster & attaching microfiber cloth to it to get the snow off.Does that sound crazy?Or are there special soft bristle brushes available?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just never touch the paint with the brush. I get off as much as I can, and then let the wind take the rest off while I'm driving.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    The paint on my car dings/scratches if you look at it wrong. I just use a brush and go...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I just never touch the paint with the brush. I get off as much as I can, and then let the wind take the rest off while I'm driving.
    Agreed. Just hold the brush an inch or so off the car when brushing. Let the wind, and the heat from the cabin remove the rest. If you're super-paranoid, you could use your bare hands to remove the rest.
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The paint on my car dings/scratches if you look at it wrong. I just use a brush and go...
    ^^ This.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Yep, last year when we got so much snow I even used a shovel......
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    Micro scratches and swirls probably aren't from the brush. It is probably from when the snow slides over the paint (with a liiiittle tiny bit of salt or dirt under it).

Similar to washing, where the most harm to the paint is done during drying normally by just a spec or two of dirt.

I don't see a way to 'lubricate' the dirt under the snow to prevent it from scratching the clear coat when the snow slides off. I think you are best off just getting a better clear coat put on honestly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    ^^ This for the most part. As you start to push the snow the brush will tend to ride on onto the building pile of snow. Once this happens brushing off is easy. I've never had a real problem with light brush contact.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Thank you for all the input.I just went and got a Sub Zero foam snow remover.Instead of a brush it has a foam pad.I got the snow off just now fairly easily but like Heide264 even this might not help when there already is dirt on the surface.
    Damn it,this wouldnt have happened if I got the clear bra installed.I've been waiting for a fog light kit for 2 weeks,thought I'd get it installed first & then do the clearbra.My mistake.

I have to get one of these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Rrkde0FvE
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 01-07-2011 at 12:06 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

ive given up on trying to prevent scratches its insane how little effort it takes to scratch..i just get a great detail ever couple of months

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    ...Damn it,this wouldnt have happened if I got the clear bra installed.I've been waiting for a fog light kit for 2 weeks,thought I'd get it installed first & then do the clearbra.
    Fo Sho... after reading all the posts about how fragile our paint is, I felt uncomfortable driving a week before I got my bra...
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

get off as much as u can with brush, get the rest by hand, then u can even finish it off with warm pitchers of water

Quote Originally Posted by AmateurX View Post
    Fo Sho... after reading all the posts about how fragile our paint is, I felt uncomfortable driving a week before I got my bra...
    you should see how bad my paint is dinged up. i have never taken it off road or anything like that. if you wash it and stand back the lower part of the doors and rocker panels lookc like they are dirty there is so many dings ask pavia he spotted it right away at the victory meet. its terrible. i use a brush to clear the snow by the way.
    Last edited by irvin787878; 01-29-2011 at 03:42 PM.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

Quote Originally Posted by AmateurX View Post
    After reading about how bad the paint is I decided to not even drive my car this winter. It's such a headache trying to take care of a nice vehicle during the winter.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    After reading about how bad the paint is I decided to not even drive my car this winter. It's such a headache trying to take care of a nice vehicle during the winter.
    FAIL. Sorry but this is going to sound harsh but Subarus are built for all weather driving. They're rampant here in CO in some of the worst winter weather you can find.

If your Subaru is parked for the winter find another brand.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.