first wax 2011 with a slight problem

This is a discussion on first wax 2011 with a slight problem within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; warm day yesterday, washed and waxed the car with a friend, took my time and ended up bull****ting hanging out ...

first wax 2011 with a slight problem

warm day yesterday, washed and waxed the car with a friend, took my time and ended up bull****ting hanging out looking at the car for 6 hours, didnt do the wheels yet though.

i noticed there are 2 spots on the hood where there is no clear coat, its only noticeable in the light, im alittle worried about it. do you think it would be worth it to mention it to the dealer? the car is 1 week old and 1000 miles now, but the dealer is 7 hours away. i really dont want to have my car resprayed or sitting in the shop for a week. do you think i should call SOA or the dealership? anyone have experience with such problems? im hoping they will just give me a brand new hood.

anyway here are some pictures i took.

washed 2 bucket method, waxed with liquid zymol wax....until i order some good stuff.

on my list of stuff to buy
    foam cannon
    vacuum
    polish pads for the porter cable maybe due this summer.
    wheel brushes
    chemical guys citrus ph neutral shampoo

im also looking for a good easy to work with wax, i dont want to experient too much. i have used nattys blue paste wax and everyone swears its easy to work with, i hated it. has anyone used dodojuice rainforest soft wax?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

heres one spot of the missing clear coat, it sits right on top of the hood scoop, you can see it on the light in the middle

In the pics I can't notice anything go to a local bodyshop and see what they think it is and if it's a CC problem I'd definitely go to the dealership,GL!

If there is no clear coat then yes, absolute address this with the dealer.

Otherwise, are you sure it wasn't the wax hazing up after you removed it and possibly couldn't see it? Not sure which zymol you used, but if it was premium ones, they are a little oily at times and depending on the moisture in the air can "sweat" sorta after - ESPECIALLY if it was damp outside.

Otherwise you would have noticed some type of light color transfer, even maybe a little on your clay if there really was no clear there. If you used the zymol cleaner wax usually found OTC, thats a cleaner style wax and you definitely would have had some color transfer, if only light.

In the second pic, it is a little blurry but it almost looks like a little wax smudge. It is possible the dealer may have buffed the car super aggresively and struck through, though rare, some dealerships are known to go overboard on cars with little training.

Hope some of this helps - can you take another picture in the light of the spots?

Car looks super glossy in the first picture though

Mike

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by den9 View Post
    warm day yesterday, washed and waxed the car with a friend, took my time and ended up bull****ting hanging out looking at the car for 6 hours, didnt do the wheels yet though.
    Warm day? It got all the way up to 30 degrees National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : Doylestown Airport

A 2011? Take any paint issues up with the dealer.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

it was like 50 degrees that day

it definitely wasnt wax, i thought it was, i tried removing it with a mf towel and its definitely a paint defect, called the dealer where i bought it in buffalo, i gotta find time and bring it to a dealer around here.

If you have dry spots in the hood (where the clear didn't cover) you certainly need to take that up with soa AND the dealer. SOA will want to come out and inspect. I've been into this process about the chipping and pitted windshield on my 2010.

They wont give you a new hood though.. there's nothing wrong with the hood .. and they dont come pre-painted. They'll just re-spray the one you have. Which I might add you will not be able to wax for at least 90days.

but I also second the hazy wax Idea.. did you check it out before you waxed it or after? Also is the spot rough to the touch? The way the cars are sprayed at the factory its pretty tough to miss a spot in the middle of the hood.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That's a bummer... but I agree with the mentions of involving SOA and the dealership. I'm pretty sure the idea of being without the ride sucks, hell I don't even have mine yet and I'd be pissed.
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob
    KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
    Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Kicker BassStation 2ea. 12" | Blue Prova Rearview

"I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times."

Quote Originally Posted by den9 View Post
    it was like 50 degrees that day

it definitely wasnt wax, i thought it was, i tried removing it with a mf towel and its definitely a paint defect, called the dealer where i bought it in buffalo, i gotta find time and bring it to a dealer around here.

Sorry to hear that. Was it Northtown?

Call the dealer immediately. if you wait, the chances of them agreeing it's something they need to take care of go down. i would also DEFINETLY NOT mention that you waxed it, because their reply could be "well, valued customer, you got a little carried away with your claybar and buffer and buffed out the clear in those two spots, so sorry, there is nothing we can do for you."

in addition, your dealer owes you reimbursement for your trip back for warranty work and a loaner vehicle while your car is being worked on.

sorry about the situation. your car is a beauty, love the color. bummed that your going through this.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

honestly im not even mad, im just happy i have the car and im not looking forward to giving it up for a week to the dealer.

i bought it in orchard park, hopefully all goes well, im going to take it in next week, i wont mind having a loaner though, i put alot of miles on my car.