roof has rust spots by window

This is a discussion on roof has rust spots by window within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so first off my roof, when i bought the car, had bird **** melted into the clear coat, wtf ...

roof has rust spots by window

Ok so first off my roof, when i bought the car, had bird **** melted into the clear coat, wtf right. But anyways i also have like little rock chips by my front window there, and thier starting to rust, well i took it to a paint body shop, and they said well almost 800 in work and we will have to remove the window and pray it dont break, wtf so i took it upon myself to look at it closely, well i pulled the top of the seal back a bit and got some sand paper, and sanded all that rust out of there, there was no hole or anything like the body shop said there might be, but i also had napa make me paint for my car, i gave them the code and they mixed it just right and put it in spray cans, now how could i go about doing this should i just sand down the whole roof, or just the bird poop stain and the rust and repaint that, idk what exactly to do all help will be appreciated, 2004 subaru wrx java black pearl, thanks what all supply will i need like type of sand paper or what or primer thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mattwelc5 View Post
    Ok so first off my roof, when i bought the car, had bird **** melted into the clear coat, wtf right. But anyways i also have like little rock chips by my front window there, and thier starting to rust, well i took it to a paint body shop, and they said well almost 800 in work and we will have to remove the window and pray it dont break, wtf so i took it upon myself to look at it closely, well i pulled the top of the seal back a bit and got some sand paper, and sanded all that rust out of there, there was no hole or anything like the body shop said there might be, but i also had napa make me paint for my car, i gave them the code and they mixed it just right and put it in spray cans, now how could i go about doing this should i just sand down the whole roof, or just the bird poop stain and the rust and repaint that, idk what exactly to do all help will be appreciated, 2004 subaru wrx java black pearl, thanks what all supply will i need like type of sand paper or what or primer thanks
    What grit sandpaper did you use? Did you sand all the way down to the metal? I will assume that you sanded to the metal to get rid of the rust. In that case, I would buy a sandable primer, material to mask off the area that you will be painting, and 1000-3000 grit sandpaper. After you're done painting it, you'll need to buff the area to smooth the area out and blend it with the rest of the roof. Post some pictures if you have any and I'll try to help you the best that I can.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxsti007 View Post
    What grit sandpaper did you use? Did you sand all the way down to the metal? I will assume that you sanded to the metal to get rid of the rust. In that case, I would buy a sandable primer, material to mask off the area that you will be painting, and 1000-3000 grit sandpaper. After you're done painting it, you'll need to buff the area to smooth the area out and blend it with the rest of the roof. Post some pictures if you have any and I'll try to help you the best that I can.

ok cool thanks man, right now i gotta find a clutch to buy, mine is done for,