Where to start cleaning an faded 2004 wrx
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Where to start cleaning an faded 2004 wrx within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just picked up a red 2004 wrx with 90k on it so it is a little faded. The owner ...

Where to start cleaning an faded 2004 wrx

I just picked up a red 2004 wrx with 90k on it so it is a little faded. The owner before me had kids and they beat the interior a little, the usual gum and stuff on the seats and plastic. There is a lot soap spilled in the trunk, which I am completely lot at how to get it out. There are the usual scratch and the paint is a little faded. over the hole car. There is a slightly strange smell in the car which I want to remove. I was looking to restore the paint, I am not quite sure where to start. Is it possible to soap or wash out the whole interior. I am kinda lost at how to remove this much soap from the carpet also. Any good suggestions or tips. I I am just stating all of this from my dad, I haven't seen the car yet. I am at college he went and picked it up for me, I just need to make a shopping list of things from him to buy for it so I can clean it when I get home.
    2004 wrx remo red. mods; up-pipe, muffler delete with costume axel back exhaust, big ass mid-pipe leak (loud as hell, result of up-pipe install :P)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

if there was that much "soap" spilled in the trunk, you may never be able to get it out. plus, there may be issues with mold if it was not taken care of correctly by the previous owner. you should buy a new spare tire cover and floormat to replace the soiled ones. it should run you about $160 plus tax according to the parts database i have access to.

as far as the interior goes, you should get a serious interior detail. in theory, you could try to do it yourself, but it may be worth having everything professionally cleaned. make sure the place you take it actually takes out your seats, so they can clean all the gunk out of the seat tracks and under the seats also. thay may be what doesnt smell so good if the last person had kids. this may set you back a few hundred, but it is worth it when the car doesnt stink afterwards!

as far as the paint goes, i would first try some sort of paint restoration kit from pepboys or kragen or something. claybar, wax, polish, etc. that may spruce up the paint. if the clear coat is peeling, you out of luck, and you may have to repaint.

good luck, and congrats on your purchase. if the car is mechanically sound, thats really all that matters. the rest will come with time.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Thanks I am going to do it my self as I have no money. The paint isn't that bad just a little bull. How hard is it to paint the side skirts, I have seen a lot of people do that.
    2004 wrx remo red. mods; up-pipe, muffler delete with costume axel back exhaust, big ass mid-pipe leak (loud as hell, result of up-pipe install :P)

Quote Originally Posted by bushman95 View Post
    How hard is it to paint the side skirts, I have seen a lot of people do that.
    its not hard to do, but not easy to do well. if you plan on painting any parts of your vehicle, make sure you research and purchase the right paint for whatever you plan on painting. the aero kit is make of plastic, so you do your research. you may have to strip he original paint off to get good adhesion to the original plastic. make sure you use a clearcoat protectant after you paint, and always paint in a clean well venitlated area. if you are perfectionist like i am, dust particles stuck in the paint will drive you TOTALLY CRAZY
    Stink-eye Mob #814004

I am very much so a perfectionist, couldn't stand to have one bad spot in the paint. Seems a lot cheeper to just paint the existing side skirts that to buy new pre painted ones. Would a can of matching touch up paint to the job you think. I found large spray cans that match the body color.

if the sheetmetal around the side skirts is faded, then the new paint will not match the faded paint. its def going to be cheaper to paint them yourself, but factory painted plastic parts will always look much cleaner, better, and last longer than at home paint jobs.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004

I think an average looking home paint job would probably match the rest of the car better actually. Even a crappy looking paint job would be nicer looking than the black that is on it right now.

for cleaning i always advise doing it yourself so ya know every area, and def remove the seats its super easy and makes life easier as well, only takes a 12mm socket 2 bolts on the bottom of rear seat and 4 for upper part, and for the trunk if soap has spilled and is constantly sudsy the cloth floor mat pulls out, there are a few plastic pieces holding it in but should remove quite simply, just hose it down super good and remove everything in the trunk, near the bottom of the spare is a rubber plug so ya can rinse out your hole trunk and let it drain then soak up remaining w/ a towel, now for paint, if ya have any blemishes or sun spots clean very wll w/ soap and watter then get some heavy rubbing compound and aplicators, not too exspensive ya can get it from autozone or most auto parts store i think maybe even wall mart, turtle or mcguires is best, now follow directions to the tee, and gotta rub pretty hard and for a good while, if ya pick up a buffer or have one will be much easier, try this before paint because it has an effect that will make ya awww for much cheaper, and w/ faded paint and new paint will just make ya cringe lol although i do agree w/ painting side skirts(looks much cleaner) also if ya are gonna do paint ya wanna do it right wetsand down and apply primer coat, a few color coats then a few clear, and if ya wanna, something that i personally did was remove my mirrors and painted the black part of the mirror to match the car, flows soooo much better imo good luck and good choice on the car , also DO NOT use rattle can or that fix a scratch paint crap!!!! = NO GOOD!!!

Cool I will have my dad pick up some cleaning stuff. Would it be a bad idea to use a light rubbing compound over the whole car? I do have a small buffer should make it a lot easier. I will follow some of the tutorials for polish paint and such. I am not even sure what condition the car's paint is in, I have never seen it before. I have just herd that it is OK from my dad.

not a bad idea at all!! actually i would advise doing the whole car and heavy on the bad spots, its better than a wax and pro-longs your paint life, what the rubbing compound does is slightly mix w/ the clear coat/ cuts beneath it and spreads your paint around a bit( in lamen terms) crating an even flow of color to all spots while also lying down a more protective layer, so to answer your q yes do the whole car afterward even the most highly trained ninja will come out of hiding just to do a sweet hood slide lol

Lol I will give it a good buffing as soon as I get a chance and post some pics of it.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I really don't think it is advisable to be going after this car with a "small buffer" and no experience. I think you could really botch your paint like that quite easily.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

in some aspect thats true like if doing the whole car at once then goin over but stupidity like that takes practice if done in manageable increments there should be only a def improvement, although yes it is not for the faint of heart, last time i did this it took me quite a while very meticulous and even w/ 10' buffer about 6 hrs

I do have some experience. I have buffed and cleaned up a 1995 windstar and got it looking pretty good. I buff my parents acura occasional also. So I am not approaching it blindly. Is there any wax that is for red cars? I think i saw something by 3m for dark cars, idk if that would include red.

First, there are thousands of different colors used every year to coat the millions of cars manufactured every year. Some paint companies offer over one hundred different hues of white alone! There is no way that a limited selection of 8-12 different-colored waxes can even begin to hope to match the multiple different hues inherent in the particular color of your car, or anyone's car for that matter.
    i would go w/ just standard rubbing compound, and wax afterward debate what kinda wax ya wanna use The difference between paste and liquid wax is primarily one of convenience and personal preference. Meguiar's liquid formulas provide the same protection as paste, and are easier and faster to apply.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.