Keyed car / repair & clearbra questions

This is a discussion on Keyed car / repair & clearbra questions within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This seems like about as good a forum as any to ask this... My wife's car was keyed along the ...

Keyed car / repair & clearbra questions

This seems like about as good a forum as any to ask this...

My wife's car was keyed along the hood. About 10-14" mark. The dealership, during one of her service trips, was nice enuff to try to buff it out. However, there are deeper "pits" and tho the overall line has faded, it is still visible.

My question is this:
    Is there a product that could possible remove that?

And/or, if we are planning on adding a clearbra to her car anyways (which would cover this mark), do you think it would be worth it to fix or just cover w/ the clearbra and perhaps it will mask what limited damage exists? I don't have any experience w/ the clearbra post purchase and am wondering if it would cover minor defects that may exist.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

if the scratches have just penetrated the clear coat of the paint, then it will buff out. however, what you are seeing are the areas where the scratch went thru the clear coat and actually went into the paint. the only way to repair that is the sand the finish down to the bare metal, prime it, paint it, and clear coat the entire hood.

if you can live with the damage, i would, cause its not gonna be cheap to repaint the entire hood at a reputable repair shop.

clearcoat bras are a waste of money in my opinion.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

That's what I was afraid of...But now you have opened a new can of worms...

Why do you think clear coat bras are a waste of money? I've never had a car w/ one, so I am curious. It seems they would do a decent job, but I've honestly never truly looked into it.

i work in the auto insurance industry, and have had a lot of exposure to that stuff in the body shops ive worked with

they are kinda gimmicky, they dont do a whole lot to protect your car. and the are a total pain in the rear to take off if you ever have to do any repairs

just my opinion, if you feel that it would cover up the minor damages that remain on your hood, to each his own
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

After calling around, I don't get the impression that the clear bra will do much to cover / conceal the damage. I may have to look into other options...

Thanks for the input...I am going to kick this around.