INSANE Exhaust Detail
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on INSANE Exhaust Detail within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Caught this over on NASIOC a few minutes ago. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2011741 I'm speechless! I would have polished the tips and painted ...

INSANE Exhaust Detail

Caught this over on NASIOC a few minutes ago.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2011741

I'm speechless! I would have polished the tips and painted the rest of that ****er black
    Rogan: Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly.
    Mods List Build Thread
    Bugeye Mafia #196 High Mileage Club
    Fully Built EJ257 HYBRID & JDM STI 6-Speed

Miniature Awesomness

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

DUB
    Talk about a little elbow grease...

I read the title as "insane exhaust deal" and kept waiting for the price. Doh!

Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

I Support ClubWRX
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Um come on folks that was obviously chromed not cleaned up to look like that.......

Most aftermarket Porsche exhausts are like that from the manufacturer. Maybe that's part of why I can't get an exhaust for my car for less than about $4500.....
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    ...Maybe that's part of why I can't get an exhaust for my car for less than about $4500.....
    And over in that other thread people are complaining about the cost of a cobb exhaust!

Why is it "obviously" chromed? And why would someone lie about that?
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

If I spent that much time detailing my exhaust my car would never leave the garage again.
    Hawk-eye Alliance #156

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    And over in that other thread people are complaining about the cost of a cobb exhaust!
    Yeah it's ridiculous how much it costs to customize a Porsche. Let's not even get started on the G-wagen, there's only one company in the world that makes custom parts for them and you can imagine how much they cost. I want to put a winch on it and I'm looking at about $10k for the bumper and other parts you need to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by STI_KLR View Post
    Why is it "obviously" chromed? And why would someone lie about that?
    If you look at the "after" pictures, its sitting on a piece of foam that has creases where it was folded around it, probably from being shipped or boxed like that.

It's obviously chromed because there's no way you can make steel shiny like that from the previous condition just by cleaning/polishing it. It just doesn't get that shiny no matter what you do. But the main clue besides it being ridiculously shiny is that if you look at the exhaust hangers, the joints between them and the pipes aren't sharp any more like the original picture. There's been something put on them so the junction between them is rounded out/filled in. That's the chrome IMHO.

The main question for me is whether it was chromed in the first place. If that's the case, then yes, it would be possible to do that by sanding it. But I just don't see how somebody could get into all the little cracks and crevices enough to make them perfect like that. Who knows though, there's a lot of nutcases out there willing to do crazy stuff! I just don't understand why it's sitting on foam that was folded around it then, and folded around it for a while to create the creases. As for why somebody would lie, well, it's the internet and it's a car forum. Happens every day! Oh, and there used to be a guy named "Exiled" on a Porsche forum I moderated who told all sorts of stories like that and it became apparent after a little while that he was lying.

Last point, look at these pictures of a chromed part next to a polished non-chromed part:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...1&postcount=20

I know that's aluminum and not steel, but anything that's not chrome doesn't get that shiny in my experience.
    Last edited by teflon_jones; 07-14-2010 at 07:38 PM.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by benson156 View Post
    If I spent that much time detailing my exhaust my car would never leave the garage again.
    Haha yup
    2006 WRB WRX Sedan @ Stage 2

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

Eh, whether it is actually chromed or not, I guess I still like to think that someone anal nutjob did actually spend that much time doing it.

Meh, either way, still looks better than it did before!
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Um come on folks that was obviously chromed not cleaned up to look like that.......

Most aftermarket Porsche exhausts are like that from the manufacturer. Maybe that's part of why I can't get an exhaust for my car for less than about $4500.....
    I'll be joining that club soon as well. I/H/E and engine management on an M5 runs around $10,000. Half of that will be for the header alone.

Regardless of chrome or not, that's still a boatload of work he did. Most people would have said eff it long before finishing.

I Support ClubWRX
    Im with jones. After an exhaust gets hot and it looks like that, it never cleans after that rust and crap has baked on.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

That has defanetly been dipped. The welds on thoes hangers arent even slightly less bright theres just no way he could have polished in thoes crevaces.

Although you can do some amazing things with some scotch bright fine sand paper metal polish and willpower.
    I made a ring for a girlfriend whos now an X last year out of a chunk of stainless thickwall tubing. I Used a lathe to size it and put some detail on it then took it home and removed all the machining lines with fine grit paper then scotch bright and polished it. Looked awsome everyone kept asking me what jewlery store I got it from.

i'm just wondering though, if it was dipped, wouldn't the holes for the bolts have been chromed too?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.