INSANE Exhaust Detail - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on INSANE Exhaust Detail within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by dingguhlbary i'm just wondering though, if it was dipped, wouldn't the holes for the bolts have been ...

Quote Originally Posted by dingguhlbary View Post
    i'm just wondering though, if it was dipped, wouldn't the holes for the bolts have been chromed too?
    Good point, But in all reality they should plug things like that before dipping or somehow make the hole origional size after dipping.

Otherwise you would have to use a smaller bolt/screw.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Omega556 View Post
    Otherwise you would have to use a smaller bolt/screw.
    true that. but you could always just drill it out a litttttle bit. i guess it's easier with paint, you just dremel it out a bit so the bolts go in snug.
    you think chrome would be hard to drill

Quote Originally Posted by dingguhlbary View Post
    true that. but you could always just drill it out a litttttle bit. i guess it's easier with paint, you just dremel it out a bit so the bolts go in snug.
    you think chrome would be hard to drill

Yeah I can agree with you there. If he thought ahead he may have drilled it out enough to leave the space that he estimated the chrome would take up.

oh or I guess you mean after. yeah you could. I woudnet..want to. But thats probly because im paranoid and i would look at the chrome as a nice armor shell..if you allow a place for moisture to seep in, eventually it will/could rust since the metal under was prepped to be coated with chrome not be subjected to the elements.

In reality I realise that is probably overthinking it a bit it probly woudnet matter much

It really looks like Nickel plating to me, I highly doubt it was hand polished, I have a lot of experience in restoring and detailing cars and I polish my exhaust and it does not look like that and I have spent a heap of time and energy on this. My Indycar has nickel plated suspension and it has a slightly gold appearence to it. Not that it really matters but I doubt it was done by hand

Quote Originally Posted by 22B05STI View Post
    Not that it really matters but I doubt it was done by hand
    I try to spend as much time as possible arguing things that don't matter one way or another...that way, no one really cares that much about the outcome of the argument.

Win-win....or something like that
    Can I skip stage 3 and go directly to win?

I Support ClubWRX
    This is just an exhaust pipe right???

Some people have waaaaaay too much money, and waaaaay too much time on their hands! I barely have enough time to polish my knob anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Um come on folks that was obviously chromed not cleaned up to look like that.......

Most aftermarket Porsche exhausts are like that from the manufacturer. Maybe that's part of why I can't get an exhaust for my car for less than about $4500.....
    Thats not chrome.. the color is all wrong. Its stainless.. or as mentioned nickel.. and it CAN be polished to look like that. It takes a lot of time, a lot of sanding/polishing and likely the loss of most of your fingerprints.

I got the exhaust on my 400ex looking very similar.. lost 9 fingerprints and went through over $100 in materials. Why you ask? cuz I could. .. kinda wish I hadn't, cus ever time I took it out it took me a hour to get it looking right afterward. Not counting how long it took to wash the machine down.
    Last edited by mangostick; 11-10-2010 at 02:31 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Looks like it actually was done by hand. Here is the original thread http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1374815

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.