How to safely clean an engine bay - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to safely clean an engine bay within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by mcdbrendan Awesome thread with some outstanding results! an engine bay shot Don't forget to rinse! Originally Posted ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    Awesome thread with some outstanding results! an engine bay shot
    Don't forget to rinse!

Quote Originally Posted by SRTSamb View Post
    I was JUST thinking about this. Nice write up!
    Thanks - let us know how you made out.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

use scrubbing bubbles, got the idea from bmw forum.

Since its bmw, they wont use crazy sh!t towards their engine unless they know it works. enjoy. I take out the positive, tape it up, cover the alternator, and i spray it like how i spray the toilet bowl. All over. Let it sit and mist it with the water hose.

Crank the car up, drive around. All the heat will evaporate everything else.
    Last edited by oceanwater48; 05-23-2012 at 07:09 AM.

Bump! Anymore pictures?!

Quote Originally Posted by 96accord View Post
    Bump! Anymore pictures?!
    I'll be doing mine on my new 04' this coming Monday. Will post up pictures after.

So I really don't have to cover or disconnect my battery? Basically spray down everything, let it sit, and then rinse (avoiding alternator/air intakes)?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120822_192401.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	107698Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120822_192350.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	107699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120822_192343.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	211.4 KB 
ID:	107700
    Last edited by Front Kick; 08-22-2012 at 05:30 PM.
    To the face!
    04' Stage 2 WRX | Premium Silver. Premium Sex.

i washed my engine and forgot to cover anything.
    washed with gunk engine protector shine
    next day my engine rubers hoses turn very dry whitish looking

what is good engine wash product that can give me like oily wet rubber look

I've seen this happen. A lot of used car dealers use tire shine or armorall to fix this but it attracts dirt after it's applied. Good luck.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Front Kick View Post
    I'll be doing mine on my new 04' this coming Monday. Will post up pictures after.

So I really don't have to cover or disconnect my battery? Basically spray down everything, let it sit, and then rinse (avoiding alternator/air intakes)?
    I cover nothing and leave the battery connected - never had a problem. Nice results! I do not spray the alternator with Simple Green, but is does get a light spray with the rinse hose.

Quote Originally Posted by rajalucy View Post
    i washed my engine and forgot to cover anything.
    washed with gunk engine protector shine
    next day my engine rubers hoses turn very dry whitish looking what is good engine wash product that can give me like oily wet rubber look
    You used a finishing product instead of a cleaning product to clean with. Why would you do that? Simple green works very well. Did you read the very first post? Products to make everything pretty: Autopia Car Care Products - Car Detailing Supplies, Car Wax, Car Polishers, Auto Detailing
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

here is mine...it has 237k miles on her......its from my 03 wrx wagon.....

I use engine gunk cleaner, elbow grease and gunk polish....I used to have a picture of it from when I first got it a few months ago....night and day difference...LOL

I Support ClubWRX
    237K? Impressive!
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    237K? Impressive!
    thanks! yeah hoping to bust 300k!!
    shes pretty much all original and oh so stock....gonna upgrade anything that breaks to help it along....:-)

Diggin' this thread. Been wondering about this for a while. Had to replace my spark plugs the other day due to cylinder 1 misfiring, and realized how dirty my engine bay is. I used to have a '94 Chevy 1500 and attempted to clean it once, but was timid due to not wanting to mess up any of the wiring or electronics. I think I will try this on my '02 WRX though. Thanks for the very informative and helpful thread!

I Support ClubWRX
    Very informative thread. Just did my first oil change and was shocked at the amount of
    white road sludge that was all over my engine bay and under carriage. It may get into the
    40's this weekend and hope to give her a good cleaning with SG. Ive used it on my 2006 HD
    since it was new and have received many compliments and never thought to apply it on my
    car.. duh Thanks Sasquatch!
    Rod
    2014 WRX SWP Premium sedan
    Stink-Eye Mob #57
    "Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility" - rarrior

just to clarify, don't spray the air intake or the alternator but everything else in the engine bay can be washed with a hose and SG?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Go_Hard View Post
    just to clarify, don't spray the air intake or the alternator but everything else in the engine bay can be washed with a hose and SG?
    Join date December 2012 and this is your first post? A belated Welcome to the club!

Common sense: Don't spray into the air intake. The alternator can get a light spray of water. Some SG usually makes its way onto the alternator exterior as I scrub about.
    Mods & Pics

ok thanks for the advice!

Still a little skeptical, but do you have a video reference? If not, i'm sure i can figure it out haha

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.