How to safely clean an engine bay - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to safely clean an engine bay within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; let us know how it works out!...

let us know how it works out!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Original formula Simple Green oxidizes aluminum. You need to use the "Motorsports Forumla" Simple Green.

http://www.simplegreen.com/products_extreme_motor.php
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I have never had any oxidation / corrosion that I could see with original formula Simple Green on aluminum. I've always wet down the cold engine first, then use SG without letting it dry, followed by a thorough rinse. I'd imagine if you let it dry without a good rinse that could cause some issues.

I'll give the motorsports version a try.
    I just did a cleaning of the engine bay today with original Simple Green. While I do want to try the motorsports formula, I stand by my assertion the original is OK to use provided you do the following:

• Use on a cold engine only.
    • Begin by hosing down bay with water.
    • Do not allow SG to evaporate.
    • Thoroughly rinse all traces of SG until there is not a single detergent bubble to be seen. Then rinse a little more to be sure.

There is no information regarding potential aluminum oxidation on the bottle I have or on their website.

http://www.simplegreen.com/products_...se_cleaner.php

http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions...=18&artlang=en

^^ This link suggests hot water. I've never had access to it in a hose and have always done fine without it.

My 6.5 year old aluminum OEM TMIC looks nearly new. It will be replaced soon with a Process West TMIC. I'll be sure and have a very close look for any signs of oxidation. I will post the results either way.

There is also ~ 20 years of experience using the original SG. I do not ever recall seeing any defect on aluminum parts with the four cars I've done this with.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 08-28-2010 at 06:05 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX

Rewind to 7/2/03

I totally forgot about these images ...

This is the engine bay I had then - a 2000 Honda Prelude. Once again, TheJ would be proud to eat off of it. Zero aluminum oxidation - repeatedly cleaned with original Simple Green.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC006F.jpg   MVC010F.jpg  
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 08-28-2010 at 07:26 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    you put a VTEC in your Subaru?!?!?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    you put a VTEC in your Subaru?!?!?

I really loved that car. Way more refined than the WRX, the OEM handling was superb. Long hood, short rear deck. I still pleasantly sigh when I see one.

Two problems arose:

• I was too large to reasonably fit into it. A bumpy road would suddenly introduce my skull with the headliner.
    • It drank oil at the rate of 1 quart every 1000 miles. The dealer made TWO attempts to fix this. After which it gulped a quart in about 400 miles. And spewed droplets of oil rich exhaust residue all over the rear of the car.

I traded this problem car in for the WRX I now love. Zero oil consumption at nearly 54k miles.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I honestly love the looks of the prelude. If she had a turbo, and RWD... I would've owned one.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Like I said ... I still pleasantly sigh when I see one. Absolutely gorgeous.

I traded that asphalt spray gun to the dealer I bought the WRX from. To this day I wonder what happened to that poor Prelude I fell in love with.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 08-28-2010 at 07:21 PM.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I just have never understood why honda made such a great looking car FWD and with such a pig of an engine.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    I just have never understood why honda made such a great looking car FWD and with such a pig of an engine.
    Pig?

Aside from it being a torqueless wonder I thought it was most entertaining once it hopped onto the VTEC cam lobes. Pre VTEC was an exercise in patience waiting for some forward momentum.

The intake was a terrific noise maker. It really sounded great and was quite loud in the higher RPMs. I completely understand why WRX n00bs always ask about intakes.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    160whp isn't exactly much of an engine... that car looked like a sports car. it should have performed like one too.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    160whp isn't exactly much of an engine... that car looked like a sports car. it should have performed like one too.
    At the time of the 5th generation Prelude intro (1997) 160 was a lot of horse pressure. My stock 2000 Prelude (ironically OEM shod with RE92s) handled a lot better than the new 2004 WRX with the same crappy tires.

The 2004 WRX I bought required stiffer springs, fatter sway bars, a performance alignment, and sticker rubber to outdo the bone stock Prelude.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 04-04-2014 at 05:28 PM.
    Mods & Pics

i traded my GAylude for my new subie for the same reason . I got so bad i had to stop a few miles away to wipe it off before selling it

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by baru-by-u View Post
    i traded my GAylude for my new subie for the same reason . I got so bad i had to stop a few miles away to wipe it off before selling it
    You had a spray gun as well? I've seen a few other minor cases, but nothing like the one I had. The dealer "fix" is what made it so bad.
    Mods & Pics

I got a question: Will regular cleaning of the engine and stuff, help keep down on rust? I live in the Chicagoland area of Illinois, and they use alot of salt on the roads so rust on cars seems to be a big issue around these parts. I don't have a WRX yet, but I figured I might as well ask, so I am prepared for maintenance and what-not, when I get one

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam198 View Post
    I got a question: Will regular cleaning of the engine and stuff, help keep down on rust? I live in the Chicagoland area of Illinois, and they use alot of salt on the roads so rust on cars seems to be a big issue around these parts. I don't have a WRX yet, but I figured I might as well ask, so I am prepared for maintenance and what-not, when I get one
    Removing salt will cut down on rust, so yes I think it would help. We see a good amount of road salt in SE PA. This past winter was one of many nuisance snowfalls - just enough for the salt crews to do their thing.
    Mods & Pics

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast