How to safely clean an engine bay - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to safely clean an engine bay within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; let us know how it works out!...

let us know how it works out!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Original formula Simple Green oxidizes aluminum. You need to use the "Motorsports Forumla" Simple Green.

http://www.simplegreen.com/products_extreme_motor.php
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I have never had any oxidation / corrosion that I could see with original formula Simple Green on aluminum. I've always wet down the cold engine first, then use SG without letting it dry, followed by a thorough rinse. I'd imagine if you let it dry without a good rinse that could cause some issues.

I'll give the motorsports version a try.
    I just did a cleaning of the engine bay today with original Simple Green. While I do want to try the motorsports formula, I stand by my assertion the original is OK to use provided you do the following:

• Use on a cold engine only.
    • Begin by hosing down bay with water.
    • Do not allow SG to evaporate.
    • Thoroughly rinse all traces of SG until there is not a single detergent bubble to be seen. Then rinse a little more to be sure.

There is no information regarding potential aluminum oxidation on the bottle I have or on their website.

http://www.simplegreen.com/products_...se_cleaner.php

http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions...=18&artlang=en

^^ This link suggests hot water. I've never had access to it in a hose and have always done fine without it.

My 6.5 year old aluminum OEM TMIC looks nearly new. It will be replaced soon with a Process West TMIC. I'll be sure and have a very close look for any signs of oxidation. I will post the results either way.

There is also ~ 20 years of experience using the original SG. I do not ever recall seeing any defect on aluminum parts with the four cars I've done this with.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 08-28-2010 at 06:05 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX

Rewind to 7/2/03

I totally forgot about these images ...

This is the engine bay I had then - a 2000 Honda Prelude. Once again, TheJ would be proud to eat off of it. Zero aluminum oxidation - repeatedly cleaned with original Simple Green.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC006F.jpg   MVC010F.jpg  
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 08-28-2010 at 07:26 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    you put a VTEC in your Subaru?!?!?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    you put a VTEC in your Subaru?!?!?

I really loved that car. Way more refined than the WRX, the OEM handling was superb. Long hood, short rear deck. I still pleasantly sigh when I see one.

Two problems arose:

• I was too large to reasonably fit into it. A bumpy road would suddenly introduce my skull with the headliner.
    • It drank oil at the rate of 1 quart every 1000 miles. The dealer made TWO attempts to fix this. After which it gulped a quart in about 400 miles. And spewed droplets of oil rich exhaust residue all over the rear of the car.

I traded this problem car in for the WRX I now love. Zero oil consumption at nearly 54k miles.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I honestly love the looks of the prelude. If she had a turbo, and RWD... I would've owned one.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Like I said ... I still pleasantly sigh when I see one. Absolutely gorgeous.

I traded that asphalt spray gun to the dealer I bought the WRX from. To this day I wonder what happened to that poor Prelude I fell in love with.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 08-28-2010 at 07:21 PM.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I just have never understood why honda made such a great looking car FWD and with such a pig of an engine.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    I just have never understood why honda made such a great looking car FWD and with such a pig of an engine.
    Pig?

Aside from it being a torqueless wonder I thought it was most entertaining once it hopped onto the VTEC cam lobes. Pre VTEC was an exercise in patience waiting for some forward momentum.

The intake was a terrific noise maker. It really sounded great and was quite loud in the higher RPMs. I completely understand why WRX n00bs always ask about intakes.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    160whp isn't exactly much of an engine... that car looked like a sports car. it should have performed like one too.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    160whp isn't exactly much of an engine... that car looked like a sports car. it should have performed like one too.
    At the time of the 5th generation Prelude intro (1997) 160 was a lot of horse pressure. My stock 2000 Prelude (ironically OEM shod with RE92s) handled a lot better than the new 2004 WRX with the same crappy tires. The HP was bumped up to 200 after the into. Not sure of what year that was.

The 2004 WRX I bought required stiffer springs, fatter sway bars, a performance alignment, and sticker rubber to outdo the bone stock Prelude.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 07-17-2014 at 05:16 PM.
    Mods & Pics

i traded my GAylude for my new subie for the same reason . I got so bad i had to stop a few miles away to wipe it off before selling it

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by baru-by-u View Post
    i traded my GAylude for my new subie for the same reason . I got so bad i had to stop a few miles away to wipe it off before selling it
    You had a spray gun as well? I've seen a few other minor cases, but nothing like the one I had. The dealer "fix" is what made it so bad.
    Mods & Pics

I got a question: Will regular cleaning of the engine and stuff, help keep down on rust? I live in the Chicagoland area of Illinois, and they use alot of salt on the roads so rust on cars seems to be a big issue around these parts. I don't have a WRX yet, but I figured I might as well ask, so I am prepared for maintenance and what-not, when I get one

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam198 View Post
    I got a question: Will regular cleaning of the engine and stuff, help keep down on rust? I live in the Chicagoland area of Illinois, and they use alot of salt on the roads so rust on cars seems to be a big issue around these parts. I don't have a WRX yet, but I figured I might as well ask, so I am prepared for maintenance and what-not, when I get one
    Removing salt will cut down on rust, so yes I think it would help. We see a good amount of road salt in SE PA. This past winter was one of many nuisance snowfalls - just enough for the salt crews to do their thing.
    Mods & Pics

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast