Engine bay detail help? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Engine bay detail help? within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by GrtScott Cold engine huh? Woudn't it make sense to have a slightly warm engine so that the ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GrtScott View Post
    Cold engine huh? Woudn't it make sense to have a slightly warm engine so that the "grime" was a little softer and more affected by chemicals?
    No, you don't want the detergent to dry on contact. Kind of defeats the purpose of using it.

Here's a full resolution image (2816 x 2112) I just snapped - this is a 6+ year old WRX:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...c/cf64dc91.jpg

I need a better camera ...
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 06-28-2010 at 04:27 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    No, you don't want the detergent to dry on contact. Kind of defeats the purpose of using it.

Here's a full resolution image (2816 x 2112) I just snapped - this is a 6+ year old WRX:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...c/cf64dc91.jpg

I need a better camera ...
    So its totally fine to spray simple green on everything in that photo?
    2006 WRB WRX Sedan @ Stage 2

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham46 View Post
    So its totally fine to spray simple green on everything in that photo?
    Yes, provided it's a cold engine and you take care with the hose. The variable nozzle makes it easy. In years past I did do this on warm engines, but was very quick about getting everything rinsed - I did the bay in smaller sections. A cold engine is far better.

3 of the cars I've done this with had distributors and I had zero issues (the WRX is the first with coil packs). 2 of them went over the 100k mile mark and had them for 8 - 10 years. All had the original alternator when I parted with them.

All it takes with the WRX is 4 or 5 cleanings a year. 2 or 3 might do nearly as well.

Think I might make a sticky on this subject ...
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 06-28-2010 at 04:58 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Yes, provided it's a cold engine and you take care with the hose. The variable nozzle makes it easy. In years past I did do this on warm engines, but was very quick about getting everything rinsed - I did the bay in smaller sections. A cold engine is far better.

3 of the cars I've done this with had distributors and I had zero issues (the WRX is the first with coil packs). 2 of them went over the 100k mile mark and had them for 8 - 10 years. All had the original alternator when I parted with them.

All it takes with the WRX is 4 or 5 cleanings a year. 2 or 3 might do nearly as well.

Think I might make a sticky on this subject ...
    Cool right on. So for the hose setting, would you want something with a bit of power or more of a mist?

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham46 View Post
    Cool right on. So for the hose setting, would you want something with a bit of power or more of a mist?
    Depends on where you are squirting. It's mostly common sense; potentially sensitive electrical areas get a lighter spray, other spots can get a stronger stream. I've always done this with cars from the time they are new or nearly new. Engine bays that have never had a cleaning would take more sessions (many?) and will not look as good as one done from new.

I use something similar to this (dang, this looks like a nice one ...)

Last edited by Sasquatch; 06-28-2010 at 05:07 PM.
    Mods & Pics

Haha good looks, thanks

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

engine cleaning question

is it possible to clean the out side of an engine that has that white spotty build up i think its oxidation or something im not to sure but its very unsightly.

im a noob so go easy ha

I Support ClubWRX
    I think I know what you are referring to ... I don't think there is much you can do for that. Several engine bay cleanings over time may reduce it somewhat.

Post up some good close up pics to be sure.
    Mods & Pics

this is the only picture i have its not that great but its the top of the engine that has that white stuff on it

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, that is corrosion ... on the aluminum (white spots) and steel (red rust). Whereabouts do you live?

It would take quite a bit of work with a small wire brush to carefully and selectively remove the worst of it, but could be done. It appears nearly every steel fastener has some rust on it. Did the car sit for an extended period?

The rest of the engine bay actually looks quite good.
    Mods & Pics

i live in northern jersey morris county. and yeah the car was babied by it previous owners its an 02 wrx. i dont have it yet because i need proof of insurance but im picking it up next week some time. i put a deposit on it.

and i think in the long run it would be worth it ha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12