rusty engine bay
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on rusty engine bay within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Does anyone else have a problem with rusty bolt heads, hose clamps, and other little metal parts under their hood. ...

rusty engine bay

Does anyone else have a problem with rusty bolt heads, hose clamps, and other little metal parts under their hood. Mine looks bad. I went around last weekend painting everything with either silver or black paint just to make it look better. Also does anyone know where I can replace these with newer better looking ones. If anyone has a wrecked car with good parts Ill buy em. I cant stand having my car rusty.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SpAnKy WrX View Post
    Does anyone else have a problem with rusty bolt heads, hose clamps, and other little metal parts under their hood. Mine looks bad. I went around last weekend painting everything with either silver or black paint just to make it look better. Also does anyone know where I can replace these with newer better looking ones. If anyone has a wrecked car with good parts Ill buy em. I cant stand having my car rusty.
    i'd probably just spray them down with some wd40 then remove them and spray some paint on the heads of them that way they wont get rusted...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Try using vinegar. I used this technique a few times and my bolts came out nice and clean. It takes a long time to work though.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

thanks for the replys guys. how long is a long time on the vinegar. ill have to pull some bolts out and try it out. also i know if you take a normal kitchen scuff pad to the intake, alt, or anything, ect. it cleans them up nice.
    Last edited by SpAnKy WrX; 04-13-2010 at 11:38 AM.

If you have a local machine shop.. a large parts cleaner and some high temp paint can do wonders

If you don't have access to a machine shop you can look at some of the cheaper parts cleaners around on the internet and if nothing else you can get a fish tank, a fish air pump, a metal collinder, and some engine cleaner or vinegar or coke. It may need to sit for a day or 2 but the parts will come out nicely

As for getting the bolts off they make some really nice cutting agents to get the rust to break off around the bolts
    2008 Subaru WRX 5door : EJ25 Turbo
    1997 Honda Del Sol : N/A D16Y8
    1982 Pontiac Trans Am : Chevy 305

most of the bolts and other pieces are pitted from the rust. just any time i open my hood thats all i see is rust.

i took a scuff pad to them and just bought a tough up bottle of silver and black. it looks semi good but its not show good. it drives me nuts. which i guess neither is my car yet so i dont have to worry to much about it yet.

if you use a scouring pad on them the rust will just build up worse. I'd try some enamel paint on the heads of them, whatever color you want for the color scheme of your car. Since your car is silver i'd either do black or a glossy blues and it will look pretty sharp especially after you degrease your motor, and maybe go with an engine sleeving kit to go around your hoses that will look really sharp.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Quote Originally Posted by arthowell View Post
    If you have a local machine shop.. a large parts cleaner and some high temp paint can do wonders

If you don't have access to a machine shop you can look at some of the cheaper parts cleaners around on the internet and if nothing else you can get a fish tank, a fish air pump, a metal collinder, and some engine cleaner or vinegar or coke. It may need to sit for a day or 2 but the parts will come out nicely

As for getting the bolts off they make some really nice cutting agents to get the rust to break off around the bolts
    I have seen those reverse plating techniques online. They look pretty cool and do a great job of removing rust. This would be a quick way to return your bolts a good condition. It is not a simple solution but in no way is it super hard.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    * Paging 04.SPT.WRX *

Bill has one of the cleanest engine bays, he may be able to shed some insight for you...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.