Tiny Rust Colored Spots...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Tiny Rust Colored Spots... within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I have little tiny rust colored spots all over my car just like a few other new WRX owners... ...

Tiny Rust Colored Spots...

So I have little tiny rust colored spots all over my car just like a few other new WRX owners... I washed it and then took it to the dealer yesterday hoping to get lucky and say they are aware of the paint defect and repaint my car, but no! The service guy comes out telling me it's from brake dust and random things in the air and they will rub off. I tell him I don't have 2hrs. to sit there and try and rub down my entire car! He tells me there's not much they can do about it and I should go buy a clay bar kit and do it ASAP. WTF?

So now I'm gonna try and clay bar this thing and hopefully that works. I've never done it before though... is it a lengthy process?
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 03-22-2010 at 03:51 AM.
    2009 Subaru WRX (Hatch/Satin White Pearl) (*SOLD!*)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My old jeep had them really bad from cheap brake pads it took me about three hours with a power buffer. your arms will hurt after

I told him I highly doubt it's from brake dust b/c there's even spots of it on my hatch! There is no way that is possible. I just watched a video of how claybarring works on Mothers website and it seems pretty simple. Hope that works! Just sucks b/c it's gorgeous out and I'm stuck in work until it's dark outside... guess I'll have to hold off till next week.

Is you car ever near railroad tracks? I know at the dealership I used to work at we would get news cars in all the time with rail dust on them from sitting in rail yards. Pain in the ass to get clean.
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

Quote Originally Posted by ZACK777 View Post
    Is you car ever near railroad tracks? I know at the dealership I used to work at we would get news cars in all the time with rail dust on them from sitting in rail yards. Pain in the ass to get clean.
    Nope, don't live near any railroad tracks. I occasionally have to drive over some though to go to my bank.

I Support ClubWRX
    You should be fine. Claybar is easy and relatively fast. Keep the area being barred wet with the supplied spray - do not let it dry out.

Follow with your favorite wax.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

So yeah, washed my car yet again and tried claybarring it... I spent over an hour claybarring it and I didn't even get one door done! This is such bull****... if I were to try and get my car spotless this would probably take 6 or 7 hours! Any ideas on what I should do? I have a feeling if I go back to my dealer they're just gonna blow me off saying it's not their problem.

I Support ClubWRX
    A single door should be 10 minutes tops to claybar. I do it in about 5. I'd start on the roof and work down from there.

Please describe your method ... might have been overdoing it when it may not have been needed.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

I got the clay ready and then sprayed some of the detailer on the clay and sprayed it over the section of the car that I wanted to start on it and started rubbing the clay over it and re-sprayed when it started to dry up. These spots just don't want to come off easily. I had to scrub insanely hard until the clay gripped the paint pretty good b4 then even start to come off.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim620X View Post
    I got the clay ready and then sprayed some of the detailer on the clay and sprayed it over the section of the car that I wanted to start on it and started rubbing the clay over it and re-sprayed when it started to dry up. These spots just don't want to come off easily. I had to scrub insanely hard until the clay gripped the paint pretty good b4 then even start to come off.
    I would not have thought the spots would be that hard to remove. It might help to calmly tell the dealer (or show them) how hard it is to remove the spots with clay. It is what they suggested.

Contact and go to a good detail shop and get their opinion.

Sorry to read you are having this much trouble.
    Mods & Pics

I just started going to a car wash that puts on "tire blaze" on the tires automaticly and because of how the quarter panels are flared on an sti it came off the wheels onto the quarter panels and I went back to them and a clay bar wouldnt do anything so I went to a body shop and they couldnt get it off either. It ate into the paint and now they have to repaint parts of my 2009 Sti with 6000 miles on it. I get those little rust spots in all the light colored cars ive owned. It just happens. Its not just subaru and is not the dealers problem. You have to keep up on waxing and paint maint. A good rubbing compound should get them out. I use tr3. I don't think you can get it in stores but you can still get it online.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel79 View Post
    I just started going to a car wash that puts on "tire blaze" on the tires automaticly and because of how the quarter panels are flared on an sti it came off the wheels onto the quarter panels and I went back to them and a clay bar wouldnt do anything so I went to a body shop and they couldnt get it off either. It ate into the paint and now they have to repaint parts of my 2009 Sti with 6000 miles on it. I get those little rust spots in all the light colored cars ive owned. It just happens. Its not just subaru and is not the dealers problem. You have to keep up on waxing and paint maint. A good rubbing compound should get them out. I use tr3. I don't think you can get it in stores but you can still get it online.
    I'm very anal about my car and keeping it clean. In the spring/summer/fall I was it every week and wax it every other month. Obviously in the winters up here in NY it's damn near impossible to keep a car clean.

You said it's not just a Subaru issue which I believe u, but it just seems weird b/c I never noticed this until I got my Subaru. Out of all the ppl I know with different cars, I have never seen this issue.

and rubbing compound?! What would be a good one I would be able to buy in the store?

I Support ClubWRX
    Rubbing compound is way too abrasive for this problem.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 03-20-2010 at 06:34 PM.
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Rubbing compound is way too abrasive for this problem.

Making a local car wash your source of car care information is a huge mistake.
    The car wash was not my source of info. I went to a body shop for my info. Obviously if a clay bar isn't working you have to get something more aggressive. The body shop used everything from cleaner wax on up to sand paper. Nothing worked. So I have to get my car repainted. That is what I have as well. I also had a 2008 Lexus in pearl and got the same rust spots so that is why I say it is a problem with all light cars. My father said the same with the light cars he has owned. I also live in a state like NY where weather will kill the car body before the car. All Im saying is you have to go from least abrasive to more and more till something works. Im not saying I know everything but go to a body shop and ask their opinion. They work with paint and finishes all day, Every day.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 03-22-2010 at 03:51 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel79 View Post
    go to a body shop and ask their opinion. They work with paint and finishes all day, Every day.
    Aye. It can be tricky to find a reputable body shop that will offer up a free opinion. One near me has a fellow Subie enthusiast for a manager. Cool guy - he has helped me out on several issues.

I would have thought claybar was the simple, fast fix as it has worked very well for me for similar paint defects.
    Mods & Pics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast