Tiny Rust Colored Spots... - Page 2
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Tiny Rust Colored Spots... within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I work at a detail shop, been there 2+ years. I've seen your problem on ALOT of cars&trucks. Like someone ...

I work at a detail shop, been there 2+ years. I've seen your problem on ALOT of cars&trucks. Like someone else mentioned, its called raildust, and whether you live next to a railroad track or not it doesn't make a difference - when your car was brought to the Subaru dealer it could've been moved by train, and although when you first got the car you wouldn't see the spots they get noticably worse as the weather gets a shot at your paint.

Clay bar is about the best way to remove, a tip though, instead of using the supplied water your claybar kit came with, use soapy water. I get all my supplies from Carbrite or Carbrite.com since the truck stops by every week. There are a few different grades of claybars and in your case i'd use a pretty aggressive one but be sure to wax the car using an orbital buffer at high RPM afterwards.

If worse comes to worst, and although many many people get scared of the idea, i've used it countless times but regular Automotive Paint Thinner works wonderful on situations where nothing else seems to touch it. If you plan on using this method don't be scared to death but be aware if you dont use it right you can really mess some stuff up.

Goodluck.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 03-22-2010 at 04:52 AM.
    06 WRX ( a work in progress )

95 Tacoma ( Ol' Faithful )

I'm new.... Enlighten me.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I used Meguiar's clay kit on my car and it took most of it off.
    Hawk-eye Alliance #156

I tried to claybar more this morning and it still wasn't working. I waxed my entire car and I'll take it to the dealer again on Wed. when I have a day off and if they still give me crap I'll try and find a good detail shop to see what they can do. Again there is no way I can do this myself... it's all over my front bumper, sides of the car, and the back as well. Honestly it's impossible for me to do it, especially since I can't get a claybar to work.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 03-22-2010 at 04:52 AM.
    2009 Subaru WRX (Hatch/Satin White Pearl) (*SOLD!*)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim620X View Post
    I tried to claybar more this morning and it still wasn't working so I just said f**k it...
    So that you're aware, we discourage people from dodging the swear filter to use the F-word in our tech forums. We try to keep things work/home safe.

Thanks for your cooperation!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Finally brought my car back to the dealer and told them the claybar kit wasn't working... they sent me across the street to their used car building which has a body shop as well. I spoke with a rep. from there and he told me to pull my car up and brought out a Meguiars rubbing compound and tried it on one spot of my car and it worked! I was so relieved! So I went to Autozone and bought some and it took me about 45min. to an hour to do my entire car but it is good as new! So happy I finally found a solution!
    2009 Subaru WRX (Hatch/Satin White Pearl) (*SOLD!*)

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Aye. It can be tricky to find a reputable body shop that will offer up a free opinion. One near me has a fellow Subie enthusiast for a manager. Cool guy - he has helped me out on several issues.

I would have thought claybar was the simple, fast fix as it has worked very well for me for similar paint defects.
    They should make prisoners claybar...

It might be better to try a polish or swirlmark remover (not a rubbing compound) if the claybar isn't working.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Wipe down the panel with denatured alcohol then use the clay bar. I found Turtle Wax Ice clay bar works best but you have to remove the the wax first. The alcohol won't hurt you're paint but it will take the wax off. I spent the better part of six hours doing the entire car.

living near a powerplant or refinery could cause those rust spots. The industrial fallout is a huge problem if it's not removed from your car resulting in those rust spots.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Holy three year bump! The OP hasn't logged on in 2 years. No need to keep an ancient thread going. Locked.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.