quick ? re: sticky residue on hood and roof..

This is a discussion on quick ? re: sticky residue on hood and roof.. within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Here is the synopsis on the situation. 2009 Spark Silver Metallic car. Has wierd sticky residue on numerous spots (hood ...

quick ? re: sticky residue on hood and roof..

Here is the synopsis on the situation. 2009 Spark Silver Metallic car. Has wierd sticky residue on numerous spots (hood and roof) that won't wash off despite numerous car washes (do it yourself coin op washes). It's most noticeable on the right side of hood scoop.

What are some ways to clean off and would SoA be able to warranty the work? I did not notice the stains on the car during the car purchase. Car looks nice other than stains and a rock chip...

P.S. When I mean sticky, I don't mean to the touch. It just seems to be stuck on the paint like an adhesive and it will not come off no matter how much I scrub. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you're in the metro Detroit area and would like to refer me to your favorite detailer, that would be awesome too!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You've put your new car through a coin op car wash? Numerous times?? My WRX will never experience the harshness of that.

Anyways, try this: Hand wash your car with a good car soap and microfiber wash pad. Then if it's still there, do a few passes over the area (not just the stain) with a claybar. Apply some pressure here, as I'm guessing the stain you talk of is treesap or the like. Be sure to apply a coat of wax -to the entire car of course- afterwards.

I doubt SoA would cover this if you happened to buy the car without the residue. That would be like asking them to cover your tires after having driven them for a while- it is sort of a wear and tear item.
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

Thanks Pactin,

Yea I just thought it was wierd how the residue appeared out of nowhere. It could possibly be tree sap. Someone mentioned that it could be the residue coming from the plastic wrap that they put on the car during transport. But whatever it is, I jus want to get rid of it.

As for the coin op thing, it's my only option for washes. Drive through car washes are out of the question. Im going to try Googone first and if that doesn't work, I may have to bring it to professional for advice. It's too cold to claybar right now.

Sure its not a bird crap spot? I have 1 or 2 spots that chewed up my paint. Try the clay-bar approach and finish up with a little polish/wax.

The clay bar kit is easy and can be done in a short amount of time and even though it's cold you should be able to suck it up for a couple minutes to try to rub the spot off. Just clean the area of paint you are going to be working on (Using provided microfiber cloth and the detail mist spray) and then use the clay as directed
    Last edited by 08SubieWrx; 12-16-2009 at 10:42 AM.

Is it tree sap, can you feel it when you rub your finger over it? Have you looked into trying to hand wash your car, use a claybar and follow that up with a nice, high quality wax / polish?
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Someone O-faced your car in the middle of the night.

I'd take it as a compliment
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

If its tree sap try some original pinesol on a rag and wip it on the sap put a little elbow grease into it it should come off
    09 WRX Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Wish I had seen this thread sooner.

Claybar.

Quote Originally Posted by 1fst4cyl View Post
    If its tree sap try some original pinesol on a rag and wip it on the sap put a little elbow grease into it it should come off
    Not sure I would want to use that.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 01-28-2010 at 03:59 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

use lacquer thinner. Dab it on a Microfiber cloth, use 2 fingers and rub lightly one direction. Your problem will be fixed in about 2 minutes.

Claybar will scratch your paint, and aside from everyone being scared to death to use thinner on their cars, DONT BE. if you use it right there will be no damage to your paint and you will be happy. I have 2 years automotive detailing experience, i work at a local detail shop, I see your problem all the time.
    06 WRX ( a work in progress )

95 Tacoma ( Ol' Faithful )

I'm new.... Enlighten me.

claybar scratches? do tell..

I find that a little hard to believe since for years and years now its been a proven method of removing light blemishes/contaminants. I imagine using one without following the directions will certainly do damage... but otherwise, I'd really like to hear your stance on this. Not being an ass, seriously want to know. My wrx is black, already has factory installed swirl marks.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Where i work, we only use claybar for things like overspray or before applying Strikeforce, Anything thats not visible that will make your paint rough to the touch. Tree sap on the other hand, is visible, and yeah claybar will probably take it off but i sure wouldn't try it... especially not on black..

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    My wrx is black, already has factory installed swirl marks.
    Use an orbital buffer at about 5k rpm with a good nanowax, Carbrite.com has Nanowax its about the best you can buy.

If that doesnt solve your problem, bring out the rotational buffer,foam pad and some Crystal Shine polish. if you are not familiar with buffing DO NOT ATTEMPT.