Engine Bay Sparkle - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Engine Bay Sparkle within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Wrinklechops All that money you spent on hoses and tanks/bottles/covers could have bought you a better TMIC ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    All that money you spent on hoses and tanks/bottles/covers could have bought you a better TMIC or something.
    I ported and polished my IC. Throttle mouth is bladed and 120 grit, the elbows are mirror polished inside, w/ 120 grit at the hose ends, also bladed. It is far more efficient than it was. I also sanded and polished the exterior of it. I really don't need a bigger IC, I have a stock turbo. It's also been PnP'd, and I have to say, I don't want anything else. It spools so fast. It's in boost so fast, it took relearning the shift times all over again.

There are some more go-fast goodies in the works, but I want a front swaybar and a rear upper brace first. When the suspension is totally complete, I will concern myself with increasing power.

I do appreciate the input, though. I wouldn't have been able to accomplish what I have without you guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    I ported and polished my IC. Throttle mouth is bladed and 120 grit, the elbows are mirror polished inside, w/ 120 grit at the hose ends, also bladed. It is far more efficient than it was. I also sanded and polished the exterior of it. I really don't need a bigger IC, I have a stock turbo. It's also been PnP'd, and I have to say, I don't want anything else. It spools so fast. It's in boost so fast, it took relearning the shift times all over again.

There are some more go-fast goodies in the works, but I want a front swaybar and a rear upper brace first. When the suspension is totally complete, I will concern myself with increasing power.

I do appreciate the input, though. I wouldn't have been able to accomplish what I have without you guys.
    I have the stock turbo as well. I noticed a slight difference with the STi intercooler. You have to be tuned for it though, obviously.

I would venture to guess that all that PnP'ing didn't do much for you other than maybe the turbo. Why polish and sand the exterior of the IC?

Get a REAR swaybar first though, not a front. Rear makes a bigger difference if you can only get one of the two.

I have the stock turbo as well. I noticed a slight difference with the STi intercooler. You have to be tuned for it though, obviously.

I would venture to guess that all that PnP'ing didn't do much for you other than maybe the turbo. Why polish and sand the exterior of the IC?

Get a REAR swaybar first though, not a front. Rear makes a bigger difference if you can only get one of the two.
    I have a rear swaybar and endlinks. I want a rear upper strut brace and front bar/endlinks.

I polished the IC because the paint it had on it was doing nothing to reflect heat, and the polished surfaces under it help a lot. PnP of the knuckles along with Samco hoses do add power on the stock IC. No doubt about it. It isn't huge, but if you do 100 mods with 1% gains each time, you end up with a total of real and noticeable improvement. It is also easier to tune, since the changes are smaller.

Wrinklechops
    I have a rear swaybar and endlinks. I want a rear upper strut brace and front bar/endlinks.

I polished the IC because the paint it had on it was doing nothing to reflect heat, and the polished surfaces under it help a lot. PnP of the knuckles along with Samco hoses do add power on the stock IC. No doubt about it. It isn't huge, but if you do 100 mods with 1% gains each time, you end up with a total of real and noticeable improvement. It is also easier to tune, since the changes are smaller.
    First of all, what do you mean by "polished surfaces under it help a lot"??? Are you saying a polished intercooler surface better reflects heat?

Second, do you have dyno proven results to show your PnP IC elbows gave you power? I PnP'd mine one day, just for fun, didn't notice JACK.

First of all, what do you mean by "polished surfaces under it help a lot"??? Are you saying a polished intercooler surface better reflects heat?

Second, do you have dyno proven results to show your PnP IC elbows gave you power? I PnP'd mine one day, just for fun, didn't notice JACK.
    Yes to the first question. It does help. It is no longer hot to the touch after a long drive.

No one in their right mind would dyno after something as minor as that... the hoses AND that work are a good combination for slight increase in flow.

Wrinklechops
    Yes to the first question. It does help. It is no longer hot to the touch after a long drive.

No one in their right mind would dyno after something as minor as that... the hoses AND that work are a good combination for slight increase in flow.
    No one in their right mind should claim power increase without dyno proof.

I also doubt that polishing an intercooler makes any difference whatsoever. I'm sorry.

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Even if he had absolutely no power gain its his engine and if his goal is a perfectly clean, shiny engine to go along with his future plan for internals (i know this from his previous posts) why does it matter? He has a ridiculously clean wrx with a lot of work done to it. He's put a lot of time effort and money into it and deserves the right to show it off.

His logic makes sense, more reflection equals cooler surfaces, cooler surfaces equal better performance. Either way its his car with his goals and if he feels a difference then thats all that matters.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I've never been big on cleaning engines, but I had a rad hose come off the other day and I would just like to get all the coolant off the engine so I wont have to smell it anymore. I know I don't want to spray the alternator or the battery. Anything else I should be mindful of?
    1997 Impreza Brighton
    2004 Impreza WRX
    2002 Honda 919

Drive it like you stole it!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.