How to protect my paint??
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to protect my paint?? within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I got a new 2009 wrx sedan and I wanna take car of the paint I was gonna wax ...

Question How to protect my paint??

So I got a new 2009 wrx sedan and I wanna take car of the paint I was gonna wax it but some people say that wax is not the way to go anymore that its too abrasive and way out dated. So I'm just wondering what do you guys think is the best way to protect my paint. For now I just wash it at least once a week with car shampoo with wax in it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 09WRXer View Post
    So I got a new 2009 wrx sedan and I wanna take car of the paint I was gonna wax it but some people say that wax is not the way to go anymore that its too abrasive and way out dated. So I'm just wondering what do you guys think is the best way to protect my paint. For now I just wash it at least once a week with car shampoo with wax in it.
    I would use some auto clay on it witch takes all the sediment out of the paint and then i would put a coat of a paste wax witch will be good for a sine and if you feel like your paint dose'nt look as vibrant after bad weather i would say put some clear liquid wax on witch will restore the clear coat.

I do keep it garaged but winter is coming. So I was think of using the clay bar and then applying some non wax protection any ideas??

Wrinklechops
    I just use Tea Tree oil shampoo. My hair stylist says it's great for everything.

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    This is the best that money can buy.... period.

It's expensive
    It's not easy to use
    It's not "quick"
    You cannot buy it in stores.... you have to order it. Don't confuse it with the crap they sell in Wal-Mart

You can substitute stage 1 with a Clay bar (I do).

Otherwise.... use stages 2 and 3.

Been using these products for over 18 years, on over 30 cars.

Worth every penny. My car is almost 4 years old, driven daily, and the paint looks better than it did when I bought it new.

https://store.mothers.com/product_in...id=59&cPath=13
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Quote Originally Posted by redwrx04 View Post
    I would use some auto clay on it witch takes all the sediment out of the paint and then i would put a coat of a paste wax witch will be good for a sine and if you feel like your paint dose'nt look as vibrant after bad weather i would say put some clear liquid wax on witch will restore the clear coat.
    ....sorry, this makes no sense??

....first, I would stop listening to the folks you have been talking to regarding car care. Second, I would browse through the articles in the following link to educate yourself on the subject (Helpful Threads For Newbies - Autopia.org). Third, don't worry about what everyone says is the "best" wax/sealant to use. It's like asking people what their favorite color is.

What I can say is that there are several manufacturers that offer decent products you can find at your local auto parts store and/or other retailers. Names like Meguiars, Collinite, Duragloss & Mothers are just a few. As for popular "on-line" products, choices include Klasse, Zaino, Ultima, Optimum, Pinnacle, Poorboys, ClearKote, 1Z (Einszett), FinishKare, P21s, Adams, etc., etc. To make matters even more confusing, not all waxes/sealants are the same. Characteristics like durability, ease of use, cleaning ability, filling ability, slickness, beading, "looks", curing time, compatibility issues, dusting, staining (of trim), etc. are all attributes that can differ. ...can you see where this is going?

Personally, I would start with the link I provided so you can better determine the type of products you need for your application first. ....then I would worry about what specific products/brands you want to choose to fit into your own regimen. Your selection in an LSP (last step product) will depend heavily on several factors (based on the characteristics I mentioned earlier). What really matters is that you find ones that fit your needs/situation based on attributes you deem important. The Autopia forums are a good place to start since there is a wealth of information, reviews, tips & tricks from enthusiasts and professional alike. ....also make sure to browse through the other topics in those links that discuss general care & paint preparation (washing, clay bar application, polishing, etc.).

Edited by 04.SPT.WRX
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 04-14-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Bad post.

My solution is don't crive your car. Keep it locked in the garage and admire how pretty it is.

Not really. Just scratch it on purpose and then you can get over keeping your paint in a perfect condition.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Best way to protect your paint is to remove all Subaru badging. You might be able to trick your paint into believing it's not Subaru paint.

Thanks Kean ...

Commentary removed.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 04-14-2010 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    My solution is don't crive your car. Keep it locked in the garage and admire how pretty it is.

Not really. Just scratch it on purpose and then you can get over keeping your paint in a perfect condition.
    Works for me.

I Support ClubWRX
    Claybar followed by Meguiar's # 20 Polymer Sealant twice a year has worked well for me since I got the WRX new in 2004.

Everyone has their favorite wax or sealant. Most are at the least good at what they are intended to do.

Some people say that wax is not the way to go anymore that its too abrasive and way out dated.
    That simply is not true.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I have been waxing cars for 30 years and I believe that Zaino all in one is by far the best thing on the market.

Its easy...

1. Wash the car with Dawn twice
    2. Use bug and tar remover, then re-wash those areas
    3. Clay the entire car with a quality clay bar
    4. Apply "Zaino all in one" with a quality pad and remove it with a microfiber towel.
    5. have fun just sliding the microfiber on the car.

just wondering what you guys recommend for paint chips. I have had my wrx for little over a month and the front bumper area and ground effects have some chips. it seems like every time i wash it i see another one. Oh well probably too obsessive about it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.