Damn brake dust...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Damn brake dust... within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have upgraded brakes and they kick out a good amount of brake dust. Anyone have a great wheel cleaner ...

Damn brake dust...

I have upgraded brakes and they kick out a good amount of brake dust. Anyone have a great wheel cleaner they could recommend?

I saw the Eagle 1 stuff on horsepower tv and that stuff adds a coating to the wheel that you have to let dry . From that point you can just spray off the brake dust, is it really that easy? anyone use the stuff?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'm about to join you. I just ordered club spec pads that will replace the least dusty pads ever made for our cars.

I use Meguiars hot rims... works like a charm!

G9524 Hot Rims® All Wheel Cleaner

Hot Rims® All Wheel Cleaner. Achieve A "Show Perfect" Shine On All Factory Wheel Surfaces!

The name says it all! Hot Rims® All Wheel Cleaner is unlike any formula in the world for removing grime, grit and brake dust from all factory wheel surfaces. Remove stubborn road residue with Hot Rims' unique foaming agents. Our Xtreme Cling™ foam is designed to cling to vertical surfaces and break down stubborn road residue between your wheels and a brilliant shine! Safe for all factory, clear-coated and painted wheels.
    **__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

every product including mcguires, has done the same thing as hitting it with the hose. i swear they ALL suck. eagle one especially, that did NOTHING! now for removing crap built up over the winter that turns the rims like a yellowish color, eagle one never dull = amazing, same for cleaning exhaust tips and anything chrome or stainless steal.
    07 WRX CGM, blouch tdo6 18g and supporting mods. Defi racer series gauges, some other random stuff.
    04 Nissan Titan 4x4 LE CC Silver (Sold and missed)

HAWK EYED ALLIANCE #686

Quote Originally Posted by Ditch64 View Post
    every product including mcguires, has done the same thing as hitting it with the hose. i swear they ALL suck. eagle one especially, that did NOTHING! now for removing crap built up over the winter that turns the rims like a yellowish color, eagle one never dull = amazing, same for cleaning exhaust tips and anything chrome or stainless steal.
    i used some fine thread SOS pads with soap on them to clean my wheels from the winter grime worked like a charm.(i had the cheap ones from Wal-Mart $0.75) then i hit them up with some armorall wheel cleaner for a shine.

P.S. i did take off each wheel to clean the inside as well as the out side and this will take some time to get really clean.

My buddy uses that method. I guess I just never liked the idea of steal wool on paint :-/
    07 WRX CGM, blouch tdo6 18g and supporting mods. Defi racer series gauges, some other random stuff.
    04 Nissan Titan 4x4 LE CC Silver (Sold and missed)

HAWK EYED ALLIANCE #686

My buddy uses that method. I guess I just never liked the idea of steal wool on paint :-/
    Don't use steal wool on wheels or paint. If you want to make the look really nice, pull them off one by one and just buy some wheel cleaner fom walmart or pepboys, get them really wet with water and then spray them with the wheel cleaner and use a wash mit to rub all the brake dust and grim off the wheel and the go over the inside of the wheel with laquer thinner and hat should get rid of the rest of the cake on brake dust. Dont waoory the laquer wont ruin the wheels unless you do it after you have driven the car hard. Never spray anything on your wheels while they are hot. I detail cars for a living. After your done cleaning the wheell make sure you use a spray wax on the inside and the face of the wheel protect, this will alo make it easier to clean them the next time you wash your car.
    When you do things right people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

Crabcakes and football thats what Maryland does.

agreed. just powder coated my BBS gloss black. Think steel wool will dull the finish, although the farkin brake dust does a good job of that in a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by GageP View Post
    Don't use steal wool on wheels or paint.... spray wax on the inside and the face of the wheel protect, this will alo make it easier to clean them the next time you wash your car.
    Thanks. Got a recommendation on the spray wax?

If you want pads that dont spit out alot of brake dust get organic ones. They dont spit out alot of dust and they last longer.

Do they sacrifice any of the stopping power? what brand do you use?
    Sleeper stylie...gt30 + tmic

Quote Originally Posted by STiled View Post
    Thanks. Got a recommendation on the spray wax?
    Eagle one makes this stuff called Nano wax its the only stuuf i use on wheels. When you use make sure you use a micro fiber towel, they are really soft and they wont mess wheels up, terry cloth towels are abrasive on wheels. YOu can get the at walmart, pepeboys any auotparts store.

Do they sacrifice any of the stopping power? what brand do you use?
    The ratsputin i think that the name. but any organic pad will do the trick. Stopping power is a little bit less then ceramic but not by much.

Cool thanks. Yeah I already have the microfiber towels, terry clothes are abrasive on paint, I just use them for cleaning the interior with armorall
    Sleeper stylie...gt30 + tmic

Cool thanks. Yeah I already have the microfiber towels, terry clothes are abrasive on paint, I just use them for cleaning the interior with armorall
    NOt a problem. Micro fibers are really god on panit too. That nano wax works great on paint too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.