Damn brake dust... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Damn brake dust... within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by STiled it is not possible to have the brake dust just wash off with a hose......think this ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by STiled
    it is not possible to have the brake dust just wash off with a hose......think this is just a myth.
    The ACDelco pads only require a hose if I spray the wheels every 1-2 weeks
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i just bought new wheels and i guess the guy NEVER cleaned his wheels. they are in prefect condition with no curbing or anything, but there is so much caked on dust and dirt. i scrubbed for like 3 hours and cannot get some of it off still. is there something out there strong enough to clean this off?

Quote Originally Posted by JLude7 View Post
    i just bought new wheels and i guess the guy NEVER cleaned his wheels. they are in prefect condition with no curbing or anything, but there is so much caked on dust and dirt. i scrubbed for like 3 hours and cannot get some of it off still. is there something out there strong enough to clean this off?
    I heard that the Mr clean magic erasers work. Those things are AMAZING, if you haven't used them before.

mr. clean magic eraser pads work better than anything else I have tried for removing road grime and brake dust. All you have to do is wipe the wheel lightly and .........presto...perfect clean rim
    Last edited by turbotwist; 07-23-2009 at 05:47 PM.

alright ill try that then, thanks guys

ok, after you clean the wheels
    apply this stuff
    Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant - 8 oz | Detailed Image

it make sure things do not stick to your wheels as easily

oh and P21S Gel wheel cleaner is on sale here
    P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner - 500 ml Kit | Detailed Image

I Support ClubWRX
    My thoughts on most (or really all) of the automotive wheel cleaner products out there are that they weaken the mix to prevent not-so-bright individuals from totally ruining something when they use it on a non-wheel application.

It has been my experience that the marine/boat cleaning products are undoubtadly the best wheel cleaning products out there. All of the McGuires, Mothers, Eagle1 type products....trash and pretty useless over time IMHO. Unless you scrub your wheels with it every day, and I do mean scrub, over time they still accumulate that layer of burnt carbon dust from the pads. It starts as just a tiny bit of discoloration in the crevices of the spoke, around the air tube, or inside the rim, and then it slowly accumulates. Over time, the wheel ends up faded and it takes some major chemical action to bring it back to new.

How many of you have used these products and still had to get the brush out to clean off those little blobs of tar (or big if the awesome road workers left a fresh batch for you to run into)?

Now compare that to some good boat all-in-one products. It is night and day difference. Literally, spray them on, wait a minute or two, hit it with a light sponge or brush, and the wheel returns to its original, show room stock shine. I have never seen anything like this, and I am a pure pessimist when it comes to most cleaning products.

A good clay bar, water, micro fiber towels, non-acidic soap, and some of the marine cleaner and you are good to go.

If you think about it, it makes sense with all the crap serious boaters have to clean off their hulls, bright-work, and interiors. Not to mention the levels of pollution they literally "sink" into during operation.

Check out 4U Boat Cleaner, Marine Grez-Off, or similar products. I'm telling you, you'll never ever buy OTC wheel cleaner again.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123