cleaning/ polishing stock wheels
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on cleaning/ polishing stock wheels within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2004 wrx and was wondering the best product/ method to clean the stock wheels. It has some ...

cleaning/ polishing stock wheels

I have a 2004 wrx and was wondering the best product/ method to clean the stock wheels. It has some pretty bad brake dust build-up that I can't get off. I'm also looking for a good polish for the wheels. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bk2008 View Post
    I have a 2004 wrx and was wondering the best product/ method to clean the stock wheels. It has some pretty bad brake dust build-up that I can't get off. I'm also looking for a good polish for the wheels. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Well the best way to clean them is to take them off the car. Just go to a autozone or pepboys and get some wheels cleaner and get some paint thinner (this will not hurt the wheel) and just keep doin it till all the brake dust is off. Then once you got all the brake dust off, get some wax and wax the inside and outside of the wheels. Ive done this to mine a few time when i rotate my tire i do this. I detail cars for a living right now.
    When you do things right people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

Crabcakes and football thats what Maryland does.

what type of wax? could i use liquid gold class? or should i use the stuff in the can

any type of wax will do. What i do is use the stuff in the can and the wipe it of with a towel and then use a spray wax to get the reast of the stuff off. The Eagle One Nano spray wax is really good stuff.

Banned
    the absolute best product I have ever used on my wheels is the mr. clean magic eraser. it's a little foam cleaning pad usually in the household cleaning products section. I have used so many different wheel cleaners and this little thing blows them all away! you will be absolutely amazed at how well they work and how quick they are too!

Banned
    after you clean them use maguires quick detailer spray. It sprays on like windex and you wont have to rub it off. just spray and your done. you can do all 4 wheels in under a minute

I Support ClubWRX
    This stuff is pretty awsome ::: Z O O P S Products, Inc. ::: .It's like a permenant wax job on your rims.A must for expensive rims.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

they make acid washes to use on wheels but I buy a jug of Phosphoric acid and dilute it slightly. This is very potent and shouldn't be left on long but it's the real deal. Heavily grimed on brake dust will (eventually) all come off with (P)acid.

On the Mr. Clean magic eraser thing - haven't used them on rims but have used them on leather seats with much success. Won't damage and they work quickly.

B-

have you tried castrol super cleaner (purple bottle)? That might work? I used it on my white ADR rims on my jetta to remove road tar and cv grease. I would do a test spot first, my rims were cheap so I really didnt care that much...but no paint came off
    Sleeper stylie...gt30 + tmic

Quote Originally Posted by STiled View Post
    have you tried castrol super cleaner (purple bottle)? That might work? I used it on my white ADR rims on my jetta to remove road tar and cv grease. I would do a test spot first, my rims were cheap so I really didnt care that much...but no paint came off
    If your going to use castrol super clean make sure that you fill the bottle about 60/30 use more water then cleaner. The clean it self is bad on wheels. It will eat through the panit on the wheel and dull them out and will look like crap.

that nano wax stuff you (GageP) recommended is great for polishing.
    Last edited by STiled; 06-09-2009 at 12:39 AM.
    Sleeper stylie...gt30 + tmic

Quote Originally Posted by STiled View Post
    that nano wax stuff you (GageP) recommended is great for polishing.
    Yah its the only stuff i use on my wheels.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.