A new detailing plan..
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on A new detailing plan.. within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I need a new detailing plan/method. And when I originally found this thread I was going to ask if ...

A new detailing plan..

So I need a new detailing plan/method. And when I originally found this thread I was going to ask if theres any quick wax products that worth anything at all or if they're all junk. I usually wash and wax a fair bit but its always been liquid waxes never a paste. I've been planning on clay barring the wrx here soon anyways...

But after reading through some stuff I think I'm going to go home and wash, clay bar, and paste wax and just get it over with haha. -but I still have some questions.

So if I do that.. should I just forget and quick waxes? I'm away at school and dont get to wash and wax as much as I'd like. So during the school year should I just wash alone when I can- and then wax on the rare occasions I get the time? (a few times a year?)

And I've read some stuff about sealants? Are those good ideas or no? In theory they seem good if I can't wash and wax often during the school year.

also... our water here is terrible. would the Mr. Clean sprayer (minus bad soap) with its filter be very helpful?

Answers?
    Recommendations?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by corybb View Post
    So I need a new detailing plan/method. And when I originally found this thread I was going to ask if theres any quick wax products that worth anything at all or if they're all junk. I usually wash and wax a fair bit but its always been liquid waxes never a paste. I've been planning on clay barring the wrx here soon anyways...

But after reading through some stuff I think I'm going to go home and wash, clay bar, and paste wax and just get it over with haha. -but I still have some questions.

So if I do that.. should I just forget and quick waxes? I'm away at school and dont get to wash and wax as much as I'd like. So during the school year should I just wash alone when I can- and then wax on the rare occasions I get the time? (a few times a year?)

And I've read some stuff about sealants? Are those good ideas or no? In theory they seem good if I can't wash and wax often during the school year.

also... our water here is terrible. would the Mr. Clean sprayer (minus bad soap) with its filter be very helpful?

Answers?
    Recommendations?

Thanks
    When I was driving my car every day I would clay, polish, wax and carnuba wax once a year. Polish, wax and carnuba wax every 6 months and wax and carnuba wax every month. I had good results but this maybe be too much for you schedule.

Sealants are a fairly good idea for someone who cannot wax very often. Personally I'd find regular waxing preferable but if that won't work for you then sealant is something to look into to. I don't know that much about them as I've never really had a need for it so maybe someone here knows more.

I use the mr. clean thing minus the soap, and have since stopped using the filter as I don't find it to be all that helpful. Also they are not especially durable and some soaps tend to clog it. Having something that can spray soap is nice and avoids the dirt bucket. Something like this: 9 Pattern Hose Nozzle And Car Wash Dispenser - Cleaning Tools - Car Washing - Car Care - Griot's Garage
    is cheaper and probably a better idea.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    ... I would clay, polish, wax and carnuba wax once a year. Polish, wax and carnuba wax every 6 months and wax and carnuba wax every month.
    you say wax and carnuba wax?

is this a typo (IE "wash") or two different items, such as a cleaner wax, or liquid wax or ?????

you say wax and carnuba wax?

is this a typo (IE "wash") or two different items, such as a cleaner wax, or liquid wax or ?????
    2 different kinds of wax
    currently I use meguairs nxt wax for the standard wax it's a liquid and has a very mild abrasive and griots carnuba which is a paste wax without an abrasive. The meguiars provides more protection while the carnuba is more of just a final shine and it doesn't last as long.

I'm slowly switching from meguiars to griot's products so I can get everything from one place and will likely replace the nxt with griots best of show when I've used up my supply of it.
    FORZA FERRARI

I thought that the liquid wax would be the one that wouldn't last as long and the paste would be the one to lay down a long lasting protective layer. I guess I am wrong.

Is there a wax you would recommend for me if I want to use just ONE wax? I don't need a show car shine, but a long lasting shine would be preferable.

Ok.

So things I currently own:
    Turtlewax 2000 Polish
    Meg's Gold Class 3 step cleaner, polish and wax
    Meg's Gold class wash
    Stoners Invisible glass
    rain x
    Meg's tire gloss?
    Meg's hot rims wheel cleaner
    wash mit
    california car blade
    chamois
    various towels terry & mf

I am planning on running to like autozone and buying some claybar meg or mothers... and I suppose some NXT wax, does it matter if I get solid wax in a tin or the stuff in a bottle?

Is nxt a sealant? the more I read it seems like I need a sealant.

So tomorrows plan currently is:
    Wash
    Clay
    .....now what out of the stuff I listed up top & nxt wax?
    >>> or anything else available at simple autozone as far as sealants?
    (not too many shops to choose from)
    (cleaner, polish, nxt, wax?)
    (just nxt & wax?)
    (just nxt?)

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    I'd definately go with a clay bar system at least once a year to keep contaminants out of the clear coat, especially if you drive it in the winter. I compared it to going from 2000 grit to glass.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

yeah def doing that tomorrow... I'm mainly looking for new advice on wax/sealants

I thought that the liquid wax would be the one that wouldn't last as long and the paste would be the one to lay down a long lasting protective layer. I guess I am wrong.

Is there a wax you would recommend for me if I want to use just ONE wax? I don't need a show car shine, but a long lasting shine would be preferable.

Yeah its kind of confusing since companies like meguairs tend to call everything "wax". Basically you got 3 kinds of things that people commonly refer to as "waxes": polishes, cleaner waxes and waxes. Polishes are not really waxes, and should not be used alone. Usually they are fairly obviously labeled and have more abrasives to varying degrees. Most commonly found waxes (think the stuff you find at kragen) contain a bit of abrasive. The ones that have more abrasives are often called cleaner waxes and are more of light polish. The usual standard wax (like meguiars gold class or nxt) will still have a mild abrasive. These synthetic waxes are the best compromise for the average person who just waxes a few times a year and last fairly long. Some "waxes", like griots carnuba, and more natural glaze like waxes do not have abrasives, these are usually found at more specialty type dealers (like griots) and are mainly used as a finishing touches not as the only wax. Theres a lot of misnomers in the detailing products which makes it hard to decipher at times.

More synthetic polishes and waxes are coming out now as bottled liquids and are not any worse or better than their paste variants. I've used the nxt paste and liquid and didn't notice a difference. A lot of carnubas are still pastes because 100% carnuba would essentially be a solid not a liquid.

Spray waxes are different from bottle liquids and are basically useless.

Ok.

So things I currently own:
    Turtlewax 2000 Polish
    Meg's Gold Class 3 step cleaner, polish and wax
    Meg's Gold class wash
    Stoners Invisible glass
    rain x
    Meg's tire gloss?
    Meg's hot rims wheel cleaner
    wash mit
    california car blade
    chamois
    various towels terry & mf

All of that looks pretty ok for the basics ...except the hot rims, which has been known to cause problems with some wheel finishes, its pretty strong stuff. Also try to stick to microfiber wash mits, towels buffing rags etc.

I am planning on running to like autozone and buying some claybar meg or mothers... and I suppose some NXT wax, does it matter if I get solid wax in a tin or the stuff in a bottle?

Is nxt a sealant? the more I read it seems like I need a sealant.

So tomorrows plan currently is:
    Wash
    Clay
    .....now what out of the stuff I listed up top & nxt wax?
    >>> or anything else available at simple autozone as far as sealants?
    (not too many shops to choose from)
    (cleaner, polish, nxt, wax?)
    (just nxt & wax?)
    (just nxt?)
    To be honest I don't know that much about sealants, or the prep work involved

For wax I'd just go with nxt in the bottle but it doesn't really make much of a difference in terms of end result, the bottled stuff is a bit easier to apply. Mothers sells a clay kit that's pretty good and comes with a little cleaner wax/polish.

So what you'd probably want to do is.

1.wash
    2.clay bar
    3. polish (or use the mothers cleaner wax if you get that kit)
    4.the nxt wax (if you get that)

I hope that all makes sense I'm not very good at explaining things.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 07-22-2008 at 09:32 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI

great thanks. I'm incredibly indecisive especially when dealing with my car or anything I have to buy.... so I successfully made a fairly simple situation of buying and waxing pretty complicated and drawn out. You've been a great help.

could the turtle wax "ice" polish make things quicker? or is that stuff basically junk. I feel as if anything is made easier/faster its usually junk.
    Last edited by corybb; 07-22-2008 at 09:35 PM.

could the turtle wax "ice" polish make things quicker? or is that stuff basically junk. I feel as if anything is made easier/faster its usually junk.
    Never used it personally. I've heard good and bad reviews for it.
    I'm generally trying stay away from the usual kragens/autozone stuff, they work ok but there's much better stuff. The only stuff I still use is Meguiars nxt soap and nxt wax which I will probably replace with comparative Griots products once I run out.

Heres a picture of the hood of a family members mercedes after a wash with meguiars nxt soap, griots clay bar, griots fine hand polish, meguiars nxt wax and griots carnuba.

Not the most scenic of reflections with the garage clutter but it gets the point across.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 07-22-2008 at 09:43 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI

nice garage clutter

hey it not my garage I certainly didn't put it there.

However had the paint not been so shiny no one would have been able to see the wonders of their cluttered garage.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 07-22-2008 at 09:48 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI

I Support ClubWRX
    Personally Id throw away any item that says "turtle wax".

When I fully detail my car 1 time a year this is my process:

Wash car with blue dawn. Yes blue dawn dish soap, nothing else works as good at stripping stuff off the paint as that.

Then I clay bar the car with mequiars clay bar.

Then I will paint seal the car.

I then put on 2 coats of meguiars NXT synthetic wax

then 2 coats of meguiars gold glass carnuba wax.

I will then wash my car with meguiars gold class car shampoo.

Every other month I will apply a coat of meguiars gold class carnuba wax.

I do all of it by hand.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

A) YIKES using the dawn would scare me.

B) you wash the car right after all that waxing work?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.