cleaning the intake manifold and aluminum engine parts

This is a discussion on cleaning the intake manifold and aluminum engine parts within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; after rinsing off your engine bay a few times it seems like a sort of corrosion forms on your intake ...

cleaning the intake manifold and aluminum engine parts

after rinsing off your engine bay a few times it seems like a sort of corrosion forms on your intake manifold and any other aluminum or metal parts under the hood. you can scrape it off with your finger nail a little bit so it looks like it is able to be removed, i was wonderin if anyone has attempted to remove this sh*t anyhow? maybe with a steel wool or toothbrush? let me know if anyone has any ideas

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It sounds like you're describing aluminium oxide. If so, you want it there -- and whether you do or not, it'll be there as long as the motor is exposed to the atmosphere.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well shy of removing said components sanding off the oxide and painting them good luck.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Unless you go with chrome or polished stainless replacement parts, you don't want to clean anything off there that won't come off with some water, simple green, and a stiff nylon brush. You could polish the whole thing but you'll still end up with the oxidation if you don't clearcoat it.

I think painting/powdercoating is your best bet for a low maintenance clean look. Another option is to get carbon fiber dressup pieces that cover up the kinda nasty parts so they're not in plain sight.

~Tim