Washing your car in cold weather? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Washing your car in cold weather? within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by teflon_jones Obviously you didn't check my location, I live in an area that probably uses more salt ...

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Obviously you didn't check my location, I live in an area that probably uses more salt than anywhere else in the country since we get a lot of icy mixes.

Save it how? Please explain how salt sitting on painted or galvanized parts is going to corrode them.
    True but washing the salt off of the scratches and dings would help, i have to admit your reasoning isnt totally Crazy, the salt cant all be gone after simply spraying the car.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    True but washing the salt off of the scratches and dings would help, i have to admit your reasoning isnt totally Crazy, the salt cant all be gone after simply spraying the car.
    Yes, washing salt off of anything not painted/galvanized will help. The key thing that I would avoid is high pressure. Maybe I wasn't clear enough that it's the high pressure that's really the problem and I wasn't saying that washing your car is bad period.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I'd say your best bet is to move to Honduras where they can't afford salt.

By touchless you mean the high pressure water only washes? I would never do one of those in the winter. The high pressure water is going to take all of that salt and drive it into every crevice on the car. It's the best way to promote rust/corrosion that I can possibly think of. Let's say you have a scratch in some galvanizing from bottoming out somewhere. That high pressure water alone is bad because it'll get into that crack, but combine it with the salt and you've just pushed a highly corrosive material into the scratch under high pressure.

A lot of people are under the false impression that salt sitting on your car is going to cause a lot of corrosion. Yes, salt sitting on things like your exhaust and other non-painted or non-galvanized parts is going to cause corrosion a lot faster, but on anything painted or galvanized, the salt is going to do absolutely nothing.
    I have to disagree. Salt dissolves well in water and any high pressure wash will give more than enough water to wash away and drain. It will not build crazy salt deposits since it will drain away. The salt that gets built up gets thicker and tougher to get rid off if its not regularly washed away... this holds moisture too when water reaches these deposits. Roads are covered in salt every day in winter up here in Canada... and the cars that have rust are the cars that aren't washed and/or have no rust proofing done.

Readers can take what they want out of this thread, but I have to discourage people from staying away from high pressure touchless washes.... and especially not washing a car for as long a period as you have.... Like I said above, having dirt/salt cake up makes any future moisture stick.. think of it like a wet sponge siting there. Regular washing will wash away dirt and prevent any moisture holding desposits from forming. There is enough water used in a high pressure wash to dissolve the majority of salt and wash it away so as to not deposit.

All cars in my family have been touchless washed in winter and they all have no rust. I stand by the touchless carwash when its too cold to hand wash.

EDIT: I do agree that salt sitting on painted surfaces won't do anything.
    Last edited by drummerboy; 01-20-2008 at 06:56 PM.
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

My point with high pressure washes is simply this:
    Water and dissolved salt from rain and normal driving hit the car at certain angles, mainly in the wheel wells, undercarriage, and paint. When you get a high pressure wash, you're now hitting the car at every possible angle with water and the salt you've dissolved off of your car. The high pressure will drive the solution into every possible place on the car, including things like driving it down into your exhaust pipe through the exit. That would never happen in normal driving. So in short, salt will get into places it never would have in normal driving, and the very short time you're in an automated car wash is not going to fully rinse that salt away. It will now sit in places it never would have in normal driving.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I wash my car when its cold.

I do it in the detail shop.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

Simple solution: Don't wash it. My car hasn't been washed since I bought it last April. It goes just as fast whether it's dirty or clean, and washing it doesn't make it last any longer, in most cases it's just going to hurt the car by driving stuff into cracks and crevices where it wasn't meant to go.
    Sure, it'll go just as fast, but if there's a chance you'll ever want to sell the car, I say invest in keeping it in good condition inside and out. It will make a huge difference in resale value.

AND it will look pretty in the meantime.

As for winter washing...I live in Vermont so I'm pretty well versed on this topic. I try to run through a touchless car wash 3 or 4 times during the winter (which lasts 5 months up here in Vermont), in addition to manual no-soap rinses about every other week (just to keep the salt/dirt from building up too much, and so I can spray the undercarriage. I don't use the touchless auto wash more often because I don't trust the soaps that are used.

In the summer I only hand-wash my car and do so about once a month, with a waxing about every other month.

Simple solution: Don't wash it. My car hasn't been washed since I bought it last April. It goes just as fast whether it's dirty or clean, and washing it doesn't make it last any longer, in most cases it's just going to hurt the car by driving stuff into cracks and crevices where it wasn't meant to go.
    LMAO! Worst advice ive heard today! So when it rains the rain doesnt drive stuff into cracks and crevices? Im sure in a down pour water and salt and whatever will find its way into places of your car that you wouldnt think. If you know how to use a pressure washer you would know not to spray too close the the car anyway, from a distance a pressure washer is almost just a mist a regular garden hose shoots further and stronger than a pressure washer. A pressure washer is only powerful at very close range... back up 3 feet and its just a mist. NOW, i dont pressure wash my car at all EVER and DO NOT take it to any automatic car wash, whether it be touchless or not. Yeah it goes just as fast, no one said that it wouldnt. Some people just like to drive a clean car and care about their cars appearance.

To the OP, im very picky about my car and wash it at least once a week and wax it once a month. NOW, if its under 50* I do not wash it outdoors. I still have access to the detail shop i used to manage and do it in there. SO, if i didnt have access to the shop i would not be freezing my arse off washing my car... save it for a warmer day. Esecially if they are calling for snow in the next couple of days.
    Last edited by Imprezademics; 03-17-2008 at 05:30 PM.
    Snitches get stitches!

anytime i'm on a water restriction or its just too cold to wash, I reach for my trusty ONR (optimum no rinse) and my proline groute sponge from lowes. Just mix 1 ounce with 2 gallons of water and soak your groute sponge then wash a panel and dry it with a high quality MF towel so you don't scratch up the paint. I know i know it sounds weird but you would be suprised just how well this works, I can send you some links from a detailing site I belong to but i'm not sure about the rules of linking forums so just pm me.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    I could tea-bag your ass into a coma.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12