Best wax for constant outdoors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Best wax for constant outdoors within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I used to use meguirs paste wax every month on my OBP wrx wagon, and i kept it in my ...

Best wax for constant outdoors

I used to use meguirs paste wax every month on my OBP wrx wagon, and i kept it in my garage every night, now that im at college I dont have those liberties

what i'm asking is there any better/long term protection for my cars paint job? thanks

matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

considering the paint isn't the best and wax is wax. Probably nothing really. I use Meguiars as well. Just keep it clean and waxed regularly.

Swirl Marks FTL :
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Wax is not wax... sort of. Some waxes have cleaning agents in them some dont. Some waxes last longer than others depending on what other "ingredients" are added to the wax. Liquid wax is garbage no matter who makes it... its basically watered down wax, which is why its liquid. If you're looking for a durable "wax" you should use a Paint Sealant (PS) (basically a synthetic wax, also much thicker.) Klasse makes a great paint sealant. I used a paint sealant made by Automagic and then i paste wax over that, but thats just me. Paint sealants gives the car a great shine but the paste wax gives it depth. Anyway, paste waxes typicall last about 2 to 3 months, while paint sealants typically last about 5 to 6 months.

As far as applying a PS i would use some type of orbital buffer, its just easier that way. You can do it by hand though. No matter how you apply it just try not to apply it too thick. Its a pain in the arse to remove as is. To remove it just use a damp micro fiber (MF) towel and a dry MF towel. The wet one to remove most of the PS and the dry one to buff it dry... works well. Good luck.

You can search Autopia.org for some great detailing advice and product reviews.

Willie

P.S. If you do decide to stick with a paste wax just try and wax the car once a month. I do mine at the very least once a month. At an average of twice a month though. Im nuts, i know. I also manage a detail shop so its easy for me. lol. Take it easy.
    Snitches get stitches!

thanks Imprezademics, yeah when my car gets uber dirty I just run it through the automated wash here, because wingate wont let me use their water to wash my car lol, I was thinking about using a paint sealent thanks for your advice.

ps your car is sick

I guess I never thought about that..Thanks.
    However, I would try to find a quarter car wash so you can spray it off, I've seen cars come out of car washing with dents/scratches, i do not trust them.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

+1 for paint sealant it sound like the right thing for you.

Oh and please oh please don't use drive through car washes.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I wish Meguiar's still made their #16 paste wax. That stuff was amazing.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Yeah, automatic car washes will bang up your car pretty badly and really do a number on your paint. The touchless ones are touchless because they use extremely harsh soaps to get all the dirt off the car and even then they car is never completely clean. If youre just looking for a quick not so great wash then thats on you. If you go to the self serve ones and you use the brush they provide make sure you atleast pressure wash the brush before you use it. You dont know who was there before you and what they used that brush on. The best way to wash it is by hand if you ask me but i understand not everyone has the luxury, especially in the cold winter months. Just remember to use clean brushes, sponges, towels, etc. If you drop a sponge dont reuse it same goes with towels and anything that will be rubbing on your paint. Make sure you wash them first before reusing. I basically take every precaution with my car and its paint. Im a bit overboard but my car looks awesome 99.9% of the time. lol. Take it easy guys and keep them cars clean!

P.S. Thanks for the compliment Matto
    Last edited by Imprezademics; 12-09-2007 at 05:06 PM.
    Snitches get stitches!

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

i love this stuff!

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Imo Meguirs > Ice wax, yeah this is like my 3rd time using a touchless wash, i just got tired of looking at my car dirty, yeah im a lol ocd about my paint job too, well i was but after a scratch here and a dent there i kinda started to live with it, good thing is i get to go home on friday for break so im gonna give her a good wax/wash, i noticed lots of swirl marks on the car now, black is so hard to take care of man but when its clean its awsome, heres a pic of it and my friends golf after we clay bared our cars.

eh well, the internet is being lame here i will upload tomorrow.

Last edited by Matto; 12-09-2007 at 08:16 PM.

For winter protection, go with Collinite, either 476 or 845... Apply 2 coats.

Quote Originally Posted by jshillin View Post
    For winter protection, go with Collinite, either 476 or 845... Apply 2 coats.
    agreed. Collinite is going to be your best bet for a carnauba wax during the winter.
    If you really want protection, lay a base coat of optiseal down, then top w/ 476s.

I buy all of my detailing stuff from Chris, and I picked up some Collinite Insulator Wax for the winter. I washed my car for the first time in almost 2 months yesterday and the water was still beading off. The Collinite goes on very easy and is extremely easy to buff out.
    Hawk-Eye alliance #052

I'm also into photography!
    Check out my photos: My Flickr

I Support ClubWRX
    As stated above - paint sealant. Meguiar's # 20 is a polymer sealant. I have used it for a couple of years and would recommend it. It does not have an award winning car show shine, but holds up well to weathering.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by LIV 2 RLY View Post
    I buy all of my detailing stuff from Chris, and I picked up some Collinite Insulator Wax for the winter. I washed my car for the first time in almost 2 months yesterday and the water was still beading off. The Collinite goes on very easy and is extremely easy to buff out.
    Yep, Collinite stands up to the elements nicely and is easy to work with. Just be sure that you shake it up very, very well. Shake it until it is very thin before you use it, apply very thin coats and it will wipe off easily! If you put it on real thick it will be a major PITA to remove.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast